Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best body weight workout at home book page 4

John Miller is offline Junior Member
    Select selective indoor exercises to work at your home. You may found much variety of exercises and videos to best practice at home. Search on internet and follow the instructor videos for your body fitness.
    Last edited by John Miller; 04-06-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Cro22ckett is offline Junior Member
    You'll have to take a break once in a while to actually exercise.

Goldust is offline Junior Member
    I'm currently doing a routine combining fitness666 and Overcoming Gravity and I've been making very good progress/strength gains from it.

Here would be my suggestions:

Fitness 666

Overcoming Gravity by Steven Low

As already mentioned Raising The Bar and the upcoming Pushing The Limits by Al Kavadlo

You Are Your Own Gym and Body By You by Mark Lauren (he also has a Bodyweight Training dvd and a You Are Your Own Gym 3 dvd set) My wife also bought the YAYOG iPad app and says that it is very good too.

Convict Conditioning 1 and 2 by Paul Wade (also has available dvd's for each of the "big six" exercises listed in the first book)

LittleSparrow is offline Junior Member
    Since I don't have an access to the gym I do Max Capacity Training. Max Capacity Training - 12 Week Bodyweight Workout Plan look it up!It's a great workout.

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Anybody know if bodyweight exercise stimulates bone growth the way weights do? I've read, for example, that highly competitive bicyclists sometimes get osteoporosis; some think it's because your body weight is supported all the time. Another theory is that bikers are out sweating for prolonged periods (I've done some really long rides, 8-9-10 hours) and you lose calcium in sweat. But anyway, any information out there?

FinRen is offline Junior Member
    Convict conditioning, or you are your own gym are really good.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Anybody know if bodyweight exercise stimulates bone growth the way weights do? I've read, for example, that highly competitive bicyclists sometimes get osteoporosis; some think it's because your body weight is supported all the time. Another theory is that bikers are out sweating for prolonged periods (I've done some really long rides, 8-9-10 hours) and you lose calcium in sweat. But anyway, any information out there?
    i dont know if body weight exercises stimulate bone growth but i have always been told you need impact to do this. so running vs walking. this is a CW teaching. however, if you think about it, how can waving a few light dumbbells around stimulate bone growth and doing a body weight chin up wont? i know which one is a whole lot harder from a pure weight lifting pov. i dont know any long term cyclists with osteo either but they are all men. i do doubt the sweating thing as anyone who did any form of chronic cardio would surely have the same problem or people who live in very hot countries.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    well i went to the gym this week and was bearing in mind this
    Pull Up Progression - YouTube

i still reckon the lower half is the hardest. i gave it a go did it and then kept heading up and did a whole pull up on my own! no jumping or assistance. technically it is a reverse pull up but still. i was stunned. i managed another one so it wasnt a fluke. i have since found a metal soccer goal where i pick the kids up from school and the bars at the kids school i can use for pull ups. and i have managed more. the kids school also has a metal pole too!
    Congratulations! I am very jealous!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i can tell you what i did to get there. you can bench as much as me so you should be fine. i *know* everyone has theories about what muscles recruit what but typically i have always been able to do all the progressions up till the actual movement. so none of them have helped per se. all i did this time was once a week when i am at the gym. i do sets of plyo chin ups. so you jump a little or a lot, try to pull yourself up the rest of the way. isometric hold at the top and then controlled negative. we do sets of 5,4,3,2,1. then forget about it till the next week and go do everything else. oh and with a set of 15 close reverse grip ( like the chin up grip ) lat pull downs at 60lbs and 10 at 75lbs to warm up. i did this for maybe 5 weeks. each week you can jump less and pull yourself up more on the first couple of each set. then, last week, i just did it. i had had a hummingbird day the day before which may have been a co-incidence. i also let go of my deep seated fear i would have to have huge shoulders and biceps to do one as i saw a youtube of a scrawny skinny chick doing one. i still dont believe i did it but so far i can still do one chin up on all the bars i have found.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yesterday I did the assisted pullup machine. I hadn't used it in a while. I left off ready to move down to 75lbs of assistance. Wow, that's not much assistance anymore. I am so sore, oh my god! I could barely eek out 5 reps and a couple times not even that. I thought I would pee my pants or have an orgasm a couple of times from the effort, which would have been highly uncomfortable and embarrassing. I will have to try your controlled negatives method. The height of all the chinup bars has always been an issue for me, though. You can't tell me jumping is cheating because that is the only way I can reach one.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast