Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best body weight workout at home book page 2

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    awesome! thankyou so much. i will use that to help work out a structured program to complement when i go to the gym.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    Here's a few that I would suggest..."Combat Conditioning" by Matt Furey, "You are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren and Joshua Clark, and "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel. All have a mixture of strength and flexibility exercises. As another post mentioned, CC is another good source. One source from a different perspective that I would offer is "Yoga for Regular Guys" by D.D. Page. For just women there is "Gym Free and Gorgeous" Angelina Thiri, or "Body by You" also by Mark Lauren and Joshua Clark

That being said...I offer you will still might want some basic equipment, such as a pull-up bar. However, in many cases for ~$100 you get get a good deal on a Power Tower if you look around, and it will have a pull up bar, Roman Chair, and dip grips for BW exercises, plus sometimes have extra stuff such as grips for neutral push ups.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Al Kavadlo, regular poster here, has a great web site, lots of video content, and several books. I think he is just releasing another, this one a comprehensive bodyweight program. Worth checking him out.

I am several months into Convict Conditioning. I like many aspects of it. Am progressing well in some areas, slower in others.

One source from a different perspective that I would offer is "Yoga for Regular Guys" by D.D. Page. For just women there is "Gym Free and Gorgeous" Angelina Thiri, or "Body by You" also by Mark Lauren and Joshua Clark
    i will look these up. i do want to keep the flexibility angle going as one of the reasons i exercise is so as the other activities in my life are easier.

I am several months into Convict Conditioning. I like many aspects of it. Am progressing well in some areas, slower in others.
    typically with all the progressions i have found on the net, i can do all the easier steps already but i cant do the next one. so here

Pull Up Progression - YouTube

i can easily do step 3 but cant do step 4. it is in fact the lower half of the pull up which is the hard bit. if i get past the lower bit, i can do it. same with pistols. if i go go the swimming pool, i can do one in 8" of water as you have that little bit of assistance on the lower part. i did find this when i was looking at all the links last night which looks good. i have a sprained ankle atm so i cant try but i will when it is better
    Pistol squat progressions - YouTube

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i can easily do step 3 but cant do step 4. it is in fact the lower half of the pull up which is the hard bit. if i get past the lower bit, i can do it.
    Same with me. Standing on a 3" platform I can do full chinups. From the floor I can pull myself up 6-7". I'm going to work on arm curls and pullovers for a while.

ive been doing lat pulldowns with a close reverse grip and my plan is to add 0.5 kg everytime i go to the gym. i also do stiff arm pull downs over my head on a reclining bench with a rope pulley. i also do what we call plyo pull ups at the gym. so i jump the first little way off the box and then pull myself the rest. i almost have my arms straight when i stand on the box to reach the bar.

Way back when I belonged to a gym I used to do pulldowns, lots of heavy pulldowns. It never helped me do a pullup. I'm not a super lightweight, so I have to develop unusual strength to be able to do this.

i do have my doubts as to whether pull downs really help. i poss need to work out what muscles are used for a pull up and think about that. i do see women at my gym who can do them but they all have totally huge shoulders and biceps which i also dont really want as they get in the way for anything else.

More than once I have heard trainers say that pulldowns don't improve your pullups, because of the way the muscles are recruited..

I do see normal-looking women on youtube doing pullups. I think it reaches the point where you have to stay really lean and keep your weight down. I wouldn't want to get larger shoulders than I already have.

Dave H is offline Junior Member
    I have to agree with dilberryhoundog above. "YOU ARE YOUR OWN GYM" is a winner. The author Mark Lauren has trained some of the toughest cats on the planet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast