Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thyroid: why does it get more attention than Pituitary? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Thyroid: why does it get more attention than Pituitary?

Primal Fuel
    One thing that puzzled me when I first read Danny Roddy or Ray Peat's articles was the honing in on the Thyroid gland over the Pituitary - even though the Pituitary is widely acknowledged as the endocrine system's master gland. Then I realised that this honing in happens everywhere.

Checking thyroid function is a standard test in the UK. On the internet there's tons of articles on eating to support your thyroid. 1 out of 182 people in the States have been diagnosed with Hashimotos. But how many have even heard of Hypoituitarism? It doesn't even register on spell check.!

Yet thyroid conditions can actually be caused by an overactive or underactive pituitary gland.

I asked my doctor last week if I could be tested for Hyperpituitarism. Apparently it was comical, because he laughed and then booked me for a thyroid test.

What am I missing here?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Because if your thyroid is functioning well, your pituitary doesn't have much to do at all
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Because if your thyroid is functioning well, your pituitary doesn't have much to do at all
    Ha, why am I not surprised you're in first?

But if that's the case then why is the pituitary regarded as the master gland? The name implies it's more crucial to the body's functioning.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

It's not, in fact removing it seems to extend life and delay the aging process. Stress promotes overexertion of the pituitary gland.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    It's not, in fact removing it seems to extend life and delay the aging process. Stress promotes overexertion of the pituitary gland.
    Dude your off your rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Dude your off your rocker.
    Look up Everett's hypophysectomy experiments. The point to take away is minimizing the workload of the pituitary is helpful in slowing down the aging process. Your thyroid is your workhorse.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Well, you don't want to go messing with your pituitary gland at LEAST until you've finished puberty. Just sayin'...

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Removing your pituitary would require replacement of the hormones regulated by that gland. If you knew anyone suffering from hypopit or living without a pituitary I doubt you would make such ridiculous statements.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Yogabare did you mean, tested for hyPOpitutarism, instead of HyPERpituitarism as you wrote? What makes you think this might be an issue for you?

iconoclast79 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Wow, just wow. Stupidest post in awhile. I don't even know where to start. Without a functioning pituitary, one might as well be dead- no matter how long one lives.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast