Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thyroid: why does it get more attention than Pituitary? page 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    nihil

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    One thing that puzzled me when I first read Danny Roddy or Ray Peat's articles was the honing in on the Thyroid gland over the Pituitary - even though the Pituitary is widely acknowledged as the endocrine system's master gland. Then I realised that this honing in happens everywhere.

Checking thyroid function is a standard test in the UK. On the internet there's tons of articles on eating to support your thyroid. 1 out of 182 people in the States have been diagnosed with Hashimotos. But how many have even heard of Hypoituitarism? It doesn't even register on spell check.!

Yet thyroid conditions can actually be caused by an overactive or underactive pituitary gland.

I asked my doctor last week if I could be tested for Hyperpituitarism. Apparently it was comical, because he laughed and then booked me for a thyroid test.

What am I missing here?
    Because the Thyroid is easy to monitor and it is the most obvious as it's at the endo of the line in metabolic regulation failure, but you are right the source of the problem is further up the chain and the pituitary was considered to be the master gland, but there is a new kid on the block, Leptin and as more research comes in it is becoming apparant that the master endochrine gland of the body is your Adipose tissue.

So when one considers that conventional thinking was completely backward in seeing fat tissue at the bottom of the chain, it is actually at the top. This prompts a completely different way of looking at fat tissue, correcting excessive fat tissue by caloric restriction is not far different from correcting cholesterol levels by reducing intake of saturated fats & dietary cholesterol. Caloric restriction aggravates rather than corrects the underlying problems associated with obesity, it is ultimately a nutritional issue and restricting calories usually results in reduced nutrient intake as well.

Don't expect the medical profession to get there in the near future, just as a bit of an experiment next time you go to see your doc, ask them about a Leptin test, many don't even know about Leptin, let alone a test for it.

Regarding the removal of the pituitary gland as being obsolete comment, well, speaks for itself I suppose, lost for words on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Look up Everett's hypophysectomy experiments. The point to take away is minimizing the workload of the pituitary is helpful in slowing down the aging process. Your thyroid is your workhorse.
    ^^^^^

Stop with the hyperboles, I was theorizing a hypothesis based on an experiment not advocating the removal of the pituitary in its entirety. Argue the point made. Good lord.
    nihil

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Translation: Not intended to be a factual statement.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    ^^^^^

Stop with the hyperboles, I was theorizing a hypothesis based on an experiment not advocating the removal of the pituitary in its entirety. Argue the point made. Good lord.
    So why didn't you say that instead of making a stupid comment?
    Does this colour the quality of all your one liners?

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    So why didn't you say that instead of making a stupid comment?
    Does this colour the quality of all your one liners?
    Corresponding conditional argument, and I fail to see how it was stupid in any way. Not my fault you, and others are unable to comprehend the example and context.
    nihil

iconoclast79 is offline Senior Member
    Corresponding conditional argument, and I fail to see how it was stupid in any way. Not my fault you, and others are unable to comprehend the example and context.
    Oh, of course. Everyone is too stupid to see how your stupid comment is a brilliant example of a higher level theoretically conditional postulation. What next, after we disable the HPTA should we reconstruct health by gulping down copious amounts of highly caffeinated sugar water?

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast79 View Post
    Oh, of course. Everyone is too stupid to see how your stupid comment is a brilliant example of a higher level theoretically conditional postulation. What next, after we disable the HPTA should we reconstruct health by gulping down copious amounts of highly caffeinated sugar water?
    Sounds like a start. Then you can reconstruct the stick in your ass.

Calling it stupid multiple times doesn't change anything, especially when you haven't got a clue about anything being discussed.

I'll cite the reference to my original post here:

The anti-aging action of hypophysect... [Mech Ageing Dev. 1983 Jul-Aug] - PubMed - NCBI

inb4 hurr experiment on rat, ur stupid, stupid comment haha stupid experiment

Look up Everett's hypophysectomy experiments. The point to take away is minimizing the workload of the pituitary is helpful in slowing down the aging process. Your thyroid is your workhorse.

Until you understand.
    nihil

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Derp, my question is, whether or not it's worth eliminating the distinct hormonal advantages of having a pituitary to live a few extra years?

iconoclast79 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And what do you think your cited study proves as it relates to the relative importance of the 'workhorse' thyroid gland vs. the 'might as well have a hypophysectomy' pituitary gland?

Besides, the study seems to say more about the hypothalamus than the pituitary, really.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast