Thread: Cooking a steak with no grill or broiler?? page

miniGrokette is offline Member

Cooking a steak with no grill or broiler??

Primal Fuel
    I bought some small ribeye steaks from Trader Joe's today, and I'm not sure how best to cook them. I no longer have a broiler and don't have a grill. Please help!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I use a non-stick pan. Some people prefer cast iron.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Stumbled across this...

http://deadspin.com/5989663/how-to-c...he-winterbound

Unfortunately, I have no actual useful advice...I always grill steak, winter be damned. It's the Canadian way.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I use a non-stick pan. Some people prefer cast iron.
    enamel coated or stainless steel pan. Preheat pan med-high, add cooking fat. Season meat and sear about 3 min per side. Put it in a 350F oven until *almost* desired doneness. Remove from oven, add a dollop of BUTTER, cover and let rest about 5 min before slicing.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Denvergoofy is offline Junior Member
    Cast iron is the best for getting the caramelized flavor like a grill. If they are thin then you won't have a lot of time for them to sear. Try a garlic, pepper, and salt paste/marinade. It will kick up the flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by miniGrokette View Post
    I bought some small ribeye steaks from Trader Joe's today, and I'm not sure how best to cook them. I no longer have a broiler and don't have a grill. Please help!

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Pat dry, and season generously with salt and pepper, and leave out to rest. Preheat oven to 250F. Slice sweet onion and mushrooms thickly.

Heat a heavy stainless steel pan over medium-high heat until, a drop of water skips across the top without sizzling. Add maybe a teaspoon of olive oil, just enough to coat the pan.

Sear the steak 2-3 minutes/side depending on thickness. You want a brown crust to form, remove to oven and top with a thin pat of butter (if its a lean cut like sirloin).

Turn heat down to medium, and melt a tablespoon of butter, then add onions and sauté until just turning translucent, then add mushrooms. Once the mushrooms and onions begin to carmelize, deglaze the pan with red wine and balsamic. Be sure to scrape all the burned on bits into the demiglaze. Reduce for 5-8 mintues at a fast boil.

Move steaks to plate and top with onions, mushrooms and pan sauce.

richard is offline Senior Member
    the big mistake people make is not heating the pan FIRST. You heat the pan 3 or 4 minutes on medium so it's quite hot, then add a bit of fat. Clarified butter, coconut oil or palm oil are best, or animal fat if you have it. Or olive oil. Then swirl it around for a moment and add the steak. The steak should have salt and pepper sprinkled on it first.

You leave it to sear and brown on one side, then turn it over and sear and brown the other side. If you have an oven, as has been pointed out, you can put the pan into a preheated 350F. oven and finish it there, or you can keep turning it over occasionally and finish it on the stove (not as good but a viable option)

The other trick is to get a meat thermometer, about US$15. For ribeye I prefer to have it medium, around 135F. inside, as that melts the fat. For a grassfed ribeye, 120F. is fine, because it doesn't have a lot of fat and rare is good.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Oil the steak people, not the pan!!!
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have had great results with this method:
    The Food Lab's Complete Guide To Pan-Seared Steaks | Serious Eats