Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: full bloodwork results: any ideas? page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

full bloodwork results: any ideas?

Primal Fuel
    I just got a full work up done. I'm a known hypothyroid on levothyroxine and allergy meds.
    Thyroid:
    TSH:2.26
    Free T4: 1.26
    CBC:
    WBC: 6900/uL
    RBC:4550000/ul
    hemoglobin: 13.6 6/dL
    Hematocrit:40.6%
    MCV: 89fL
    MCH: 30pg
    mchc:33.6g/dL
    RDW:13.4%
    platelets: 274000/uL
    neutrophils:62%, 4300/ uL absolute
    lymphs:28%, 1900/uL absolute
    monocytes: 8%, 600 /uL
    Eos:2%, 100/ uL
    basos: 0%, 0 absolute
    serum glucose (fasting): 78 mg/ dL
    BUN:18 mg/ dL
    serum creatine: 0.86 mg/ dL
    eGFR >59 mL/min/1/73
    BUN/ creatine ratio: 21
    serum sodium: 136 mmol/L
    serum potassium: 4.5 mmol/L
    serum chloride: 103 mmol/L
    total CO2: 20 mmol/L
    serum calcium: 9.8 mg/dL
    serum total protein: 7.6 g/ dL
    total albumin: 4.4 g/ dL
    globulin: 3.2 g/ dL
    A/G ratio: 1.4
    total bilirubin: .3 mg/ dL
    alkaline phosphatase, S: 56 IU/L
    AST (SGOT): 17 IU/L
    ALT (SGPT):15 IU/L
    Total cholesterol: 264
    Trigs: 101
    HDL: 60
    VLDL: 20
    calculated LDL: 184
    t3 uptake 24%

Some of this I can grasp, other of it I'd have to look up and guess at. Any help? I can take a fair amount of jargon, and the report has ranges, although I don't know how accurate they are. I'm really interested in the cholesterol and thyroid numbers, for obvious reasons.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    how are you feeling on your thyroid... you're pushing the upper limit on TSH...

I though the upper limit was 4.5?

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I'll give the thyroid ones a shot, but I'm not the total expert on it like some people!

TSH seems a little high. Not much, but I find that most people that are not hypothyroid are under 2 for sure, and closer to 1. Anytime it goes over two, some tweaking probably needs to take place.

Free T4 seems to be right in the middle of the reference ranges (usually .7 to 2.0). It measures the T4 that is actually available for use in your system ( as opposed to the total T4 which can include T4 that is not-usable as well.)

Not sure what the T3 uptake is... it's a bit of an oudated test (most labs do a Free T3 which shows the T3 that is usable in your system, which is important as you can have plenty of T4 and not be converting it propertly to T3 which is what your body actually uses.) K, I just looked it up, apparently it's a test that estimates how much thyroid hormone-binding proteins are available in the blood through a calculation based on levels of T3 or T4. Apparently it's rarely ordered-- again, most use the free T3 level instead. Apparently normal values range from 24-37%... so whatever it's figuring out, it's showing you fairly low. However, I'd try to get a free T3 instead it shows a lot more.

How do you feel? I find that's a huge indicator in my thyroid, I'll start feeling tired/foggy/etc and know something's not right...

Hope this helps at least a little!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I though the upper limit was 4.5?
    Depends on if you're talking about lab ranges, or signs that something's actually wrong with your thyroid :-)

Lab ranges can be .4-4.5 or .5-5.5 depending on the lab. There's a lot of controversy about these ranges. They figure out the range by testing a bunch of people without thyroid issues, then figure out the range of results. Problem is, many people have thyroid issues and aren't diagnosed or don't know it. So their results polluted the ranges. Endocrinologists themselves are torn and many of them have been pushing to lower the range to .3-3.0 since 2003.

Regardless, once you get over 2.0 it is a sign that there is something affecting your thyroid in some way. If you're over 2.0 chances are you won't be able to lose weight ever no matter what you do... so that's a sign something's awry!!

Anyway, that's the little I know on the subject... but it is a huge issue as so many people go years without treatment because of these "ranges" that are inaccurate. Thyroid disease used to be treated by symptoms... and then they came up with the TSH and that got pushed on everybody as a gold standard. It isn't. It only shows a small piece of the complex network that is our endocrine system.

Not that I was frustrated by having thyroid issues for over 5 years and being told I was in "normal" ranges, no not at all....
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I've been feeling that it's out of whack, that's part of why I went in for bloodwork. The doofy thing is that she said "we'll raise you to 75ug and see how that works." "I'm on 75." "Let's keep it there anyways." WTF? On the hunt for another doc again, obviously, but that's insane.

Yeah... another doc is probably a good idea. Definitely interview the office first, though. Ask them what tests they typically order for thyroid, etc. What kinds of treatments...

But, before then if you can, try to request a reverse T3 test. That will give you a lot of info. I'm on 75 levo too (was 50 but my levels went up after a year), but also 10mcg of cytomel for the T3. The cytomel makes the difference. If your T3s are off, then possibly you're getting the T4, but not converting... which happens quite often. Just an addition of that might make you feel tons better. Something to look into, anyway. If your doc is open to that, maybe you can at least get that going before proceeding on a search for a new doc, which is ever so much fun! :-)

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Third Paragraph Under interpreting TSH...

INSANE that the recommendation is .3-3.04... by THIS group, and yet generalist doctors seem to think they no better.... Ask you Doc for a tiny increase... site this article... maybe she'll do it without going to another doctor...

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    You might want to ask again for an increase. Bring up your confusion over her initial agreement to increase meds and then backpeddling based on what dosage you are already on.symptoms

This time be very specific with symptoms you are still having. Point out that while you are with in the "normal" range when looking at TSH and FT4 there is plenty of room left before you head to hyper ranges. Ask for the lowest increase-12.5mcg and promise to watch for hyper signs and retest in 6 weeks to check numbers and review symptom improvement.

If she still balks, ask what needs to happen next to alleviate the symptoms that remain.

If you like this doctor and feel like she is open to your care being "teamwork", it might be worth training her.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Marc,
    I may try that. I'm just tired of being cold during a West TX (arid, desert climate, already hit 95 this year)summer and tired all the time. The first one should be the major tip- off...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast