Thread: Underweight, but lifting and gaining strength page

Smorgy4 is offline Junior Member

Underweight, but lifting and gaining strength

Shop Now
    I have been trying to stay on the primal blueprint for the last 5 months. I have been on it more than off, but Iím finally well adjusted enough that I donít think Iím going to fall off of it again. I have been slowly losing fat the entire time and concentrated very much on the jiggle getting smaller than the number on the scale. I started to get worried about how many pounds I was 3 months ago when I got down to around 130lbs, sometimes above, sometimes below. Iím 5í10Ē so I was well underweight then.

I started doing a stronglifts routine, switching out barbell rows for pull ups. I have been gaining weight and still slowly losing fat, and I am starting to see the beginnings of ab definition. I still weigh about 137lbs but I think Iím decently strong. My weights are 240 squat, 260 dead lift, 10 pull-ups, 160 bench press, and 120 shoulder press. I have been going to the gym 3 days a week, I havenít missed a day since I started half way through January, and the only exercises that I have not added at least 5lbs every day since I started have been pull-ups and shoulder press.

I don't understand why my friends that can lift about as much as me weigh at least 20 lbs more than me. Does anyone know what would cause me to weigh so much less? Also, should I be concerned about anything healthwise because of my weight?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Everybody's different.

But to put on muscle you need to be eating enough protein and some extra calories. Are you sure you're doing that?

Are you getting enough rest and recovery?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If you want more mass, you need to eat more. A lot more. Read about GOMAD (not that I'd really recommend it, but a Gallon of Milk a Day is an easy way to add calories).

Tim Ferriss (4-hour Body) did a hack where he added 30 pounds of muscle in a short time. He talks about how the workouts were really simple, but he was having to force food down his throat all day for that time frame, and that was harder than going to do the workout, IIRC.

Thanks for your recommendations, I have been eating a chunk of meat with all of my meals and eating until I am full so I think I am eating enough protein. I also take a day or 2 off in between each of my workouts so I think that I am resting enough too.

I read about Tim Ferriss and I from what I could find, I think I have a basic idea of what he did. It sounds too good to be true, but I’m going to try a self experiment trying to copy his lifting technique and shoveling food in my mouth for a couple weeks and see what that does for me. It’s a possible solution to my problem, and even the critics don’t say that it hurts you, so why not?
    Thanks again!

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smorgy4 View Post
    I started doing a stronglifts routine, switching out barbell rows for pull ups. I have been gaining weight and still slowly losing fat, and I am starting to see the beginnings of ab definition. I still weigh about 137lbs but I think I’m decently strong. My weights are 240 squat, 260 dead lift, 10 pull-ups, 160 bench press, and 120 shoulder press. I have been going to the gym 3 days a week, I haven’t missed a day since I started half way through January, and the only exercises that I have not added at least 5lbs every day since I started have been pull-ups and shoulder press.

I don't understand why my friends that can lift about as much as me weigh at least 20 lbs more than me. Does anyone know what would cause me to weigh so much less? Also, should I be concerned about anything healthwise because of my weight?
    Sounds like you know what you are doing. Those seem like good lifting numbers for your size. You're benching 117% of your weight 5x5 times, and still increasing every week. I've been doing StrongLifts too (the iPhone app is great), and my experience has been gaining muscle mass while losing fat mass (eating strict paleo)! I don't carb or milk at all.

Q: 137lb and 5'10" male? That does seem lowish but it is in the healthy BMI zone.

KimchiNinja,
    Those are my lifting numbers between earlier today and thursday, every one of them 5x5. I have been gaining muscle and losing fat eating strict-ish paleo- about 5 days on for every 2 days off. I am up 7 pounds since christmas, but I still feel that my weight is low; my younger brother is my height, less body fat, and can't lift as much as me, but is still over 140. Even though I am in the healthy BMI range, I can't help but feel that there is something unhealthy about my weight.

BTW, I'm having problems with the Itunes store right now, but as soon as I can, I'm getting that app!

Veelore is offline Junior Member
    Comparing yourself to others for bodymass to weights lifted, as with most comparisons, doesn't work very well. When you consider muscle insertion points, and general leverages, (example only) someone with longer arms, with a comparatively small rib cage, is going to find bench pressing a lot harder than someone with a larger rib cage, and shorter arms. If you are getting stronger and looking better, you are doing something right. So keep doing it
    Primal and deadlifting my way to health (hopefully)

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Yeah I'm not sure I'd be worried about comparisons, being that you are in the USA.

Being a natural size there is not necessarily normal.