Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone read this article? Any thoughts? page

jmottram is offline Junior Member

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Full of bald-faced lies. He doesn't believe in the concept of gluten intolerance, and apparently once you're in a wheelchair with ataxia and dying of lymphoma, this is all completely reversible.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I still eat wheat-based foods (such as burger buns, pizza, and beer on occasion). Wheat-based foods stimulate me to eat more. I won't even be necessarily hungry, but I'll keep eating well beyond what I need. For a few days after, my digestive system is not what it should be. Rice does not do this.

I don't care what he says- minimal wheat in my diet works well for me.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this post--it's always good to hear both sides. I've reintroduced grains because my only reason for giving them up was because I thought I was "supposed to," pre-primal they were a staple of my diet and I never had any problems with them. I try not to overload on gluten, I buy Ezekiel bread if I want bread, eat organic rice, etc. I love beer and no study will ever convince me it's bad when it makes me feel so good. This writer is just as unscientific as he accuses Mark of being, but I think the takeaway is, if grains don't give you problems, you don't have to get rid of them to be healthy. If they do, obviously your body's trying to tell you something. I personally feel better eating grains than I feel denying myself grains because something I read on the internet told me to.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Sometimes I still eat wheat-based foods (such as burger buns, pizza, and beer on occasion). Wheat-based foods stimulate me to eat more. I won't even be necessarily hungry, but I'll keep eating well beyond what I need. For a few days after, my digestive system is not what it should be. Rice does not do this.

I don't care what he says- minimal wheat in my diet works well for me.
    He is actually saying that wheat in the diet works well for everybody. Even those who react.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    The studies he uses to support his argument are either uncontrolled epedemiological or the usual comparison whole grains are healthier than processed grains, so he has not adressed the question posed are no grains healthier than grains?

But what about the comments he makes regarding fibre's effect on gut lining and Marks supposed twisting of that information?

The counter to lectin reads quite convincingly too. And Phytates.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    His own readers lash him pretty good. I don't see any need to rub salt in the wound.

Hey he is entitled to his opinion. Just sucks for him that he is wrong

All most of his studies prove is that whole wheat bread is better than Twinkies.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-23-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I havem't read the citation on fibre by mark, but I suspect it may have been misrepresented, I disagree with the quote that gut damage is good, the fact is our gut gets damaged enough on a healthy diet without the need for further damage, it is constantly being repared and has more immune activity than the rest of the body put together, so we don't need sharp fibre to scrape our gut.

He is not up to date with Coeliac incidence it is more like 1 in 100 than his quoted 1 in 250, and gluten is only one of the damaging proteins found in wheat, there is a whole raft of them being investigated now, as shown by cases of gluten sensitivity in the abscence of Anti Gliadin antibodies, this is because other antibodieas are at work here medicine just hasn't tested for them.

The lectin story is much the same, yes they are in everything, but some are more damaging than others, the anti cancer thing is a petri dish study, eg if you pour kerosene on cultured cancer cells does this suggest you should inject kerosene into cancer patients?

On the whole the benefits of grains small nutrient & mineral content is far outweighed by the risks from lectins & gluten and leaching properties of phytates, effectively rendering grains simply high GI carbohydrate void of nutrients but carrying significant risks, how is this healthy?

From my own personal experience with Primal/Paleo I myself believe in cutting grains etc to gain health, lower fat, and improved fitness. I went from 13st 7lbs in January 2012 to 11st in March then completed a tough mudder in May 2012 with very little exercise. All of which I attribute to following the majority of the Primal/Paleo guidelines, particulary diet, sleep and stress.
    I happened upon this article whilst searching for something that might be amiss with these guidelines as whilst I have had success, my wife hasn't and now over a year in, she's thinking of forgetting Primal/Paleo and adopting Weight Watchers again. This has been a source of stress between us (which I know doesn't help) but I'm running out of options.

I appreciate reading your rebuttals to the article I came across.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast