Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone read this article? Any thoughts? page 5

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    Grains aren't quite in the same category as pure sugar, but yeah, in terms of nutrition per calorie, you're better off eating veggies, always.
    Except veggies are basically all fiber..

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Neckhammer, calling grains nutritionally void is almost as stupid as calling ground beef nutritionally empty.
    Ground beef is so much more nutritious they aren't even in the same league.

What do you want me to say? I mean without even taking negative impacts on gut health and bio-availability into consideration they still come in at the bottom of the list. Facts are facts. If you want calories/carbs... well they are good for that I guess. Just try to stck to the less problematic sorts and use traditional prep methods.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-24-2013 at 06:33 PM.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Except veggies are basically all fiber..
    I mean, except for all the vitamin A, C, and K...

Forgotmylastusername is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I read that as being 'nutritionally void' relative to the calories ingested. I think that grains (and sugar) are pretty much the definition of empty calories.
    Yeah so did I.

500 calories of 80/20 ground beef contains around

Thiamin 0.08514 mg 6%
    Riboflavin 0.29304 mg 17%
    Niacin 8.36946 mg 42%
    Pantothenic Acid 0.99396 mg 10%
    Folate 13.86 mcg 3%
    Vitamin B6 0.63954 mg 32%
    Vitamin B12 4.2372 mcg 71%

calcium 35.64 mg 4%
    Iron 3.8412 mg 21%
    Magnesium 33.66 mg 8%
    Phosphorus 312.84 mg 31%
    Potassium 534.6 mg 11%
    Sodium 132.66 mg 6%
    Zinc 8.2764 mg 55%
    Copper 0.12078 mg 6%
    Selenium 29.7 mcg 42%

500 calories of oats has roughly

Vitamin B6 0.16898 mg 8%
    Thiamin 1.08346 mg 72%
    Riboflavin 0.19738 mg 12%
    Niacin 1.36462 mg 7%
    Pantothenic Acid 1.91558 mg 19%
    Folate 79.52 mcg 20%

Calcium 76.68 mg 8%
    Iron 6.7024 mg 37%
    Magnesium 251.34 mg 63%
    Phosphorus 742.66 mg 74%
    Potassium 609.18 mg 13%
    Zinc 5.6374 mg 38%
    Copper 0.88892 mg 44%
    Manganese 6.98072 mg 349%

To call one "nutritionally void" is plain stupid. You can also add beta glucan and other flavanoids which oats contain.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    What's the nutritional profile of cooked oats?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I mean, except for all the vitamin A, C, and K...
    Except its locked in the fiber...

What's the nutritional profile of cooked oats?
    Unless a bit of B5 gets destroyed by cooking, then exactly the same. Adding water doesn't affect the caloric content.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 03-24-2013 at 09:05 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    My rule of thumb is to look at the food and see how many micronutrients have a higher %DV score than Calories. That way it doesn't matter what the portion size is, you can look at a dimensionless number.

E.g. Wheat flour, white, unenriched - beats Calories with: Manganese, Selenium
    Porridge: Thiamin, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Manganese, Selenium

compared to other plant food

Boiled Potatoes: C, B6, Thiamin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Copper, Manganese
    Kidney Beans, cooked: K, Thiamin, B6, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, PotassiumSodium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese

or meat

Bacon: A, C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, Folate, B12, Panthogenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium
    Chicken Liver: A, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, Folate, B12, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium

Unless a bit of B5 gets destroyed by cooking, then exactly the same. Adding water doesn't affect the caloric content.
    Really? So bioavailability means nothing?
    Last edited by magicmerl; 03-24-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

My rule of thumb is to look at the food and see how many micronutrients have a higher %DV score than Calories. That way it doesn't matter what the portion size is, you can look at a dimensionless number.

E.g. Wheat flour, white, unenriched - beats Calories with: Manganese, Selenium
    Porridge: Thiamin, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Manganese, Selenium

compared to other plant food

Boiled Potatoes: C, B6, Thiamin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Copper, Manganese
    Kidney Beans, cooked: K, Thiamin, B6, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, PotassiumSodium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese

or meat

Bacon: A, C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, Folate, B12, Panthogenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium
    Chicken Liver: A, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, Folate, B12, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium

Really? So bioavailability means nothing?
    Bioavailablity is individual and dependent on gut health. Cooking, whether oats or meat might make some nutrients more available whilst partially destroying others.

Your comparison of white flour is hardly encompassing of grains in whole. Nobody denies white flour is mainly empty calories.

By far the best way you look at nutrient density is on a calorie per calorie basis. But even that doesn't take into account all the other beneficial nutrients and antioxidants. Anyone that says "grains are empty calories" are showing their ignorance.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Actually that is quite the point. Looking at uncooked grains is just plain stupid. You can't eat them in that form! It don't count. Their nutritional profile changes quite drastically in cooked form vs. non-cooked, but all the grain pushers will only show you the non-cooked data and hide their head in the sand.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast