Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone read this article? Any thoughts? page 4

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    All grains are definitely different... I do alright with wheat, I love rice, but my gut seriously hates quinoa. Never tried buckwheat, something about the look of it just screams "don't eat me"

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quinoa isn't even a grain, nor is buckwheat. Both are nasty as hell, too.

Pancakes are the BOMB. I miss getting heart shaped pancakes for breakfast from an ex ;_; She made the best pies too...
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Whatever quinoa is, it makes my intestines stage a mutiny against me. Might be the saponins.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmottram View Post
    We're both eating good healthy foods I'd say 13 days out of 14. That 14th day would include a cheat meal not a whole cheat day. Say a bag of chips (fries) with ketchup for a meal, or a takeaway Indian or Chinese curry.
    See, I don't regard those as cheats at all. So I think she's totally primal

For the other 13 days her diet is typically 3 eggs scrambled in butter for breakfast, deli meat and boiled eggs or veggie omelettes for lunch (if she has lunch), then a large tea containing meat and veggie, anything from steak and sweet potatoe, to home made cottage pie (sweet potatoe topping) to slow cooked chicken curry to pork & parsnips etc.
    All sounds good...

Generally teas for us are 90% what we have found from various Paleo recipe books (Sisson... Fragoso... etc). She doesn't drink any kind of hot drink, gets most of her fluid intake through sugar free dilute to taste Robinsons juice. Occasionally does dairy (slice of cheese) to snack or strawberries.
    The problem with sugar is consuming it to excess. There's nothing wrong with small amounts of it (that the liver can easily cope with). I think that most of the 'sugar free' alternatives are worse than sugar is.....

She is a work at home Mom looking after our 2 year old daughter and promoting Avon and Scentsy.
    Whoa. What are her stress levels? I mean, I firmly believe that diet is 80% of the solution, but the other 20% includes things like stress management and rest....

Works out 3 to 4 times a week, normally circuit training for 30 minutes or 20 minutes tabata style kettlebell swings or a 40 minute heavy lifting session (when I get home from work, before we have tea).
    Circuit training is a largely pointless, unless she's doing them for fun. And a 40 minute heavy lifting session? Sounds impossible. 10-15 minutes would probably be much more useful.

She also walks around 15-20 miles a week as we have one car which I use for work.
    Going for walks is great.

Pretty much the exact same weight, size, bf %, everything, even though she's been following this pattern for over a year. Something must be amiss.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Here are some possibilities:
    1. She's already at her ideal body weight. Perhaps her mental image of her ideal self isn't the same as her actual ideal self?
    2. She has too much stress in her life, which is whacking her hormones
    3. She's eating the same portion sizes as you. As a generalisation, women need less than men.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jmottram is offline Junior Member
    40 mins lifting is total time between the 2 of us (as we still have a child to keep busy).
    Current bodyweight is 224lbs at about 45% bf.
    Portion sizes feel right for us.

Maybe it is stress? Which will be tricky one to overcome I feel. We switch off at 9 and hit bed at 10 so we're getting plenty of sleep.

jmottram is offline Junior Member
    Circuit training would be 10 reps shoulder press, hip raises, squats, pressups (or other similar type movements), weighted where possible, repeated over and over for time with rest where needed.
    Is this no good then?

Comments in Bold
    40 mins lifting is total time between the 2 of us (as we still have a child to keep busy). Ok, that is much more reasonable. Do you guys have a home gym?

Current bodyweight is 224lbs at about 45% bf. Although weight isn't the be-all and end-all, I agree that she can likely lose more fat. I think that bf% and waist size are much better health measurements for women than weight. And that fluctuations make daily measurements meaningless. Just focus on overall trends.

Portion sizes feel right for us. Fair enough. What about snacking/desserts? Has she considered IF at all? For me personally, I find that if I have a good fatty breakfast, I only need to eat twice a day and I don't become incapacitated by hunger in the middle.

Maybe it is stress? Which will be tricky one to overcome I feel. We switch off at 9 and hit bed at 10 so we're getting plenty of sleep.
    I'm jealous that you can both get plenty of sleep with a wee one in the house
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Neckhammer, calling grains nutritionally void is almost as stupid as calling ground beef nutritionally empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Neckhammer, calling grains nutritionally void is almost as stupid as calling ground beef nutritionally empty.
    I read that as being 'nutritionally void' relative to the calories ingested. I think that grains (and sugar) are pretty much the definition of empty calories.

Grains aren't quite in the same category as pure sugar, but yeah, in terms of nutrition per calorie, you're better off eating veggies, always.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast