Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone read this article? Any thoughts? page 2

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    After close to five years of research on the subject, I completely don't care what anyone has to say about wheat consumption anymore. Believe it's bad, don't believe it's bad, whatever. All I know is that when I eat wheat, my stomach blows up like a balloon, my nose stuffs up like a sinus infection, I can't sh*t for days, and I get a terrible acne breakout. So, I don't eat wheat, and I don't give a crap if some random internet person thinks it's all in my head. I know my body and honestly don't have the time or patience to care about anything else.

Off-topic, but I'm irrationally annoyed that that guy is calling himself Outlaw Fitness, when the completely unrelated Outlaw Training is such a well-respected niche fitness brand. It's like selling tractors under the name John Dore, only your tractors are made of plastic.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I do care, because when some idiot with an agenda and an audience goes on the rampage like this, people who can't eat gluten end up suffering for it, as other people go out of their way to make it hard to stay gluten free.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I do care, because when some idiot with an agenda and an audience goes on the rampage like this, people who can't eat gluten end up suffering for it, as other people go out of their way to make it hard to stay gluten free.
    That is actually a pretty good point.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmottram View Post
    From my own personal experience with Primal/Paleo I myself believe in cutting grains etc to gain health, lower fat, and improved fitness. I went from 13st 7lbs in January 2012 to 11st in March then completed a tough mudder in May 2012 with very little exercise. All of which I attribute to following the majority of the Primal/Paleo guidelines, particulary diet, sleep and stress.
    I happened upon this article whilst searching for something that might be amiss with these guidelines as whilst I have had success, my wife hasn't and now over a year in, she's thinking of forgetting Primal/Paleo and adopting Weight Watchers again. This has been a source of stress between us (which I know doesn't help) but I'm running out of options.

I appreciate reading your rebuttals to the article I came across.
    If that is your problem, then you need to post some details of her situation, women often respond differently to men and she may need to have a slightly higher carb intake and not dwell on IF just focus on good healthy foods.

jmottram is offline Junior Member
    We're both eating good healthy foods I'd say 13 days out of 14. That 14th day would include a cheat meal not a whole cheat day. Say a bag of chips (fries) with ketchup for a meal, or a takeaway Indian or Chinese curry.
    For the other 13 days her diet is typically 3 eggs scrambled in butter for breakfast, deli meat and boiled eggs or veggie omelettes for lunch (if she has lunch), then a large tea containing meat and veggie, anything from steak and sweet potatoe, to home made cottage pie (sweet potatoe topping) to slow cooked chicken curry to pork & parsnips etc. Generally teas for us are 90% what we have found from various Paleo recipe books (Sisson... Fragoso... etc). She doesn't drink any kind of hot drink, gets most of her fluid intake through sugar free dilute to taste Robinsons juice. Occasionally does dairy (slice of cheese) to snack or strawberries.
    She is a work at home Mom looking after our 2 year old daughter and promoting Avon and Scentsy. Works out 3 to 4 times a week, normally circuit training for 30 minutes or 20 minutes tabata style kettlebell swings or a 40 minute heavy lifting session (when I get home from work, before we have tea). She also walks around 15-20 miles a week as we have one car which I use for work.
    Pretty much the exact same weight, size, bf %, everything, even though she's been following this pattern for over a year. Something must be amiss.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jmottram; 03-23-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typos

Fantazmic is offline Member
    Hi

This is a stab in the dark....but I had terrible weight problems all my life and it wasnt until I disocvered I was salycilate intolerant that I was able to turn it around. My diet is Marks rimal diet but not deli meats or bacon(nitrites) and no currys of any sort as curry is very high in salycilate.

The diet you mention has some foods with preservatives particularly sulphites. If your wife is chemically sensitive all of these foods could be effecting her and she may only be experiencing weight gain as her symptom. Other symptoms include sinus...bloated stomach....gastrointestinal upset and aching joints. Some people only have weight gain and a bit of bloating as their symptoms others have much nastier symptoms which can also include asthma.

Hope this helps as another way of looking at what might be causing her to have issues with her weight loss.

Kind Regards

Elizabeth

Fantazmic is offline Member
    a great site you can go to is

salycilatesensitivity.com

there is a food list and forum to get you started

also gogle sue dengate fed up with food additives

Zach is offline Banned
    I dont think wheat is one tenth as bad as most glutenophobes believe. Will it damage your body over time? Maybe but so does almost any food you could think of and people have been eating it to ripe old ages for thousands of years. Gluten free is a fad, plain and simple.

Bottom line for me, i love it and eat it with no worries. Sucks to be those of you with "intolerances" or just plain scared to eat it but 90% of the time its probably just psychosomatic or you are sick for some other reason (pufa). The other 10% have my condolences.
    Last edited by Zach; 03-23-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    His argument that the people with food sensitivities are attracked to paleo could sure be true. It works. But then you have to ask why these people developed food sensitives. By removing all grains and sugar you could also say that we're just against modern food growing and processing, chemical additives, hybredization, and GMO. That would be just as true.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I allow myself one wheat day (actually one non-primal day) per week. It's not a license to binge on crap, just a day when I can eat a po'boy or a plate of pasta.

While my symptoms are minimal, I do wake the next morning to a rather loud fart. I thought it was my imagination, but now that I'm aware, the correlation is clear: the morning after eating wheat, I fart. It's not enough to make me give up wheat entirely, but it's enough for me to consider it nothing I want as a major component of my daily diet.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast