Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newly paleo and constipated. page

Hawksworth is offline Junior Member

Newly paleo and constipated.

Primal Fuel
    Hi

Not sure if this is the right forum, apologies if not.

Anyway, as the title states I'm having problems with the motions. I have eliminated all grains from my diet, I don't think I'm dehyrdrated (don't feel thirsty and my urine is very light in colour to clear). I was always a bit prone to constipation before going full paleo/primal but I used to a lot of fruit which I have reduced down to about 3 or 4 80g portions a day. I went mainly primal around xmas and have been full paleo for about three weeks.

I'm eating plenty of free range or organic meat and vegtables, cruciferous mostly, cooking with coconut oil. What else... taking magnesium citrate tablets, probiotics, fish oil and unpasteurised sauerkraut. I've also stopped dairy, also reduced my egg intake dramatically as I was eating a lot of those when I switched to full paleo/primal and they can be associated with constipation.

I understand that movements are generally smaller due to nutrient density on this diet but mine have been about a 1 on the bristol sclae (small and seperate like nuts, hard to pass).

Other information:- I have been on a low dose of PPI for the last eight years which I have stopped since Monday this week. I have been taking beataine hcl and pepsin supplements as well as a more general digestive enzyme and apple cider vinegar.

Also I don't feel particularly bloated or gassy and actually feel quite settled digestivelly most of the time, just can't seem to have a regular motion.

Any thoughts on this please, is it just a case of kepe doing what I'm doing and see if it resolves?

Many thanks for any replies.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Other information:- I have been on a low dose of PPI for the last eight years which I have stopped since Monday this week. I have been taking beataine hcl and pepsin supplements as well
    i have no idea what those are?

i'd ease off the cruciferous veggies -- lots of people have trouble digesting them -- and stop worrying about getting "enough" fiber. that whole message was propaganda from big ag to convince americans to eat more cereal and bread.

if you don't feel uncomfortable, i'd suggest just eating lower fiber veggies with plenty of fat to move things along and giving your gut time to heal. be aware that may take months, so be patient.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    In this one instance, I have to agree with the eat more fat folks. Whenever I go very low carb for a day or two (I don't do it on purpose, it just occasionally happens), I'm a poopin' machine. It's usually from the higher fat I eat on those days. When I first tried coconut oil, I took the advice here and didn't jump in full force. It's a good thing.

Other things that move me: tomatoes and avocados.

ETA: First poop thread of the weekend!
    Last edited by JoanieL; 03-23-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

suzyq is offline Junior Member
    Have you tried a very large cup of very strong coffee?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Coffee x2, and chicken fat constipates me. I do better on red meat. Otherwise, you've made just about all the changes I've made! I'm also a constipotato, always have been. Going once every two days seems normal, how often do you go?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jmsmall is online now Senior Member
    Experiment with some more salt, try a cup or two of bouillon a day for a few days. I went on Atkins years ago and got constipated, was a drag, and I'm usually, well, a poopin machine. Wife is jealous. This past nine months on hybrid low carb/primal with salt supplementation constipation has not happened. I also do unsweetened metamucil fairly often since I read a study that it binds cholesterol in the gut and helps lower those levels, and I'm certain that helps the old BM's.

Mis-behave is offline Member
    Aleo Vera juice is quite good for soothing the digestion and can help with general bloating/ gas and constipation

Google it if you want to see more info
    I will say the cranberry flavour is better
    25 ml 2x daily works well !

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    How infrequent is infrequent? If you feel comfortable & your stomach acid protocol (HCL, ACV, and digestive enzymes) are keeping everything easy, if not regular, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Any reason why you are limiting your fruit intake?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    Experiment with some more salt, try a cup or two of bouillon a day for a few days. I went on Atkins years ago and got constipated, was a drag, and I'm usually, well, a poopin machine. Wife is jealous. This past nine months on hybrid low carb/primal with salt supplementation constipation has not happened. I also do unsweetened metamucil fairly often since I read a study that it binds cholesterol in the gut and helps lower those levels, and I'm certain that helps the old BM's.
    Check out gutsense.org for some information on why metamucil is not such a good idea for constipation. Why are you worried about binding cholesterol? Dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood levels and really should not be worried about.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Broccoli, apples, sweet potatoes, and green tea all start the gears turning for me.

Edit- I noticed you didn't mention eating any salad. Eat it. Organic spring mix, spinach, green onion, chopped carrots and beets. You WILL poop.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast