Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Primal Mom page

primalmom is offline Member

Primal Journal - Primal Mom

Primal Fuel

umm ... so, is this a good place to put my journal ?? I AM going to have success story, so hey, why not ? ... seriously, if this is not, I will move it to another location

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

so, I wanted to stick this info in my journal as well ...

I am 43 (gosh, everyone is so much younger !!) - I'm a mom / wife / used-to-be-a-lawyer / personal trainer(a much more positive outcome since most of the people I worked with went to prison - I was a prosecutor for 10 years !)

I am just starting here - still waiting for my book, but, after a lifetime of dieting and over 15 years of trying to find the optimum way of eating - for life -I am really excited !

I have a long / boring / arduous journey (ok, maybe too dramatic) - it is a story of a lifetime of perpetual dieting and, for the past 10 years, health issues (thanks McDougall) that I have dealt with - let's just say that I have been there/done that when it comes to popular diets and ways of eating ... I have definitely learned a lot along the way - such as

1) low-fat vegan can and will destroy your metabolism, esp combined with running ... hehe ...

2) low-fat anything is temptingly easy and for me, although I do lose weight, it seems to lead to a downward spiral into a cesspool of artificial sweetners and chemicals, outrageous sugar cravings, and general crabbiness ... not to mention reduced thyroid function, adrenal disagreements, and overall lethargy - yeah, sign me up

3) being skinny-fat is a tough row to hoe - I have been fat-ish too even while not preggo and that is no fun either - there has to be a middle ground that is do-able for LIFE (apologies to Bill Phillips but that is not the "for LIFE" that I want !)

4) Love Sally Fallon and Mary Enig but ... wanna give those ladies a chill pill and some dumbbells ... I have learned a ton from reading about Weston A Price over the years ... but... the "take no prisoners" seriousness of it and lack of fitness drove me away ... and back into the arms of refined food

5) gluten is an evil substance ! I went off gluten in early December 2008 - thanks Doc, for the Christmas present ! ... still, it has made a huge difference in the way I feel and my thyroid issues ...

6) I have done no dairy / raw dairy / fat-free dairy ... i'll keep the dairy and raise it to raw, for now

ok, enough about me - I am going to read some stuff about all of you - I have been glued to the whole site for a couple of days now and LOVE reading about all the success stories and great food ideas

yippee !!!

PrimalMom

Jedi is offline Member

welcome, and we will enjoy following your successful journey

maba is offline Senior Member

Welcome primalmom. I'm new to this as well and will be following your journey, all the best.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Welcome! The more the merrier!

grandma is offline Member

p'mom -- don't worry not everyone here are kids! Since you have been-there-done-that, I think you will find it refreshing that the primal way is about eating real food without adding or taking anything away from what nature put in. It's quite simple really, but surprisingly hard since since everyone around you is doing the opposite: take out fat and add HFCS, take out the animal protein add whole grains....

When you cook for yourself it is really quite easy, enter the grocery store at the produce section, fill your basket, walk around to the meat and fill your basket, stop by the dairy section and pick up some butter, walk down the salad dressing aisle and pick up some olive oil and vinegar and leave the store. You may also want to pick up some nuts and coconut oil. Simple food, simple ingredients it feels great.

When you eat out it's harder -- but since you are GF you already know that.....

Enjoy

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

thanks for the great welcome, guys ! I know I should just wait until I get the book, but hey, taking the (pastured) bull by the horns and trying to feel my way LOL ... if anyone care to comment on my food today so far, I would really appreciate the input

B- coffee (half caff) w/ H&H

some of that carrot walnut "bread:"

2 fried eggs

SN - another egg and a half / abut 10 almonds

worked out - heavy lifting - upper body

L - salad - chicken/broc/onion/lettuce/blue cheese/walnuts/a sprinkle of blueberries ... a slice of cheddar

planned

SN - ??? almond butter and whey protein smoothie

D - beef "scramble" with zucchini / eggplant / onions

maybe some dark choc ???

I am a 5 or 6-meal-a-day type of person .. BTW .. I am 5'6 and weigh 120 .. is this too much food or not enough or jussst right ??

Thanks again for any commentary

PrimalMom

hannahc is offline Senior Member

How was the carrot walnut "bread"? I think I might make it with pecans this weekend! I would try tracking your intake (I use The Daily Plate, but a lot of people here use FitDay) to know your overall calories and macros, that's a better judge than us just looking (don't know what your portions look like from here . I used to eat 2-3 snacks a day also, but have found that they're really unnecessary with my increased fat and protein intake, you might start to feel the same way after a couple of weeks! You might get a few comments about the half & half, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, and dark chocolate all in one day too, but you're just starting so you'll decide what you can call a cheat or your 20% of your 80/20 after a few days. It all depends on your goals and what works for your body after all. Good luck and welcome!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

thanks Hannah ! .. the "bread" was good - a little dry but I think that was me - I mis-measured the nut flour and then had to try to compensate LOL - I will definitely have to figure out the fat thing - I think I am very paranoid about raising it and so keep doing little dribs and drabs instead of just getting it in I will do Fitday for sure - that will help

... ya, too much dairy ?? the dark choc has no sugar in it, though

thanks !

PrimalMom

Trinkwasser Guest

"I will definitely have to figure out the fat thing - I think I am very paranoid about raising it"

OK I'm diabetic so my numbers were crap from the get-go, but cutting the carbs and adding fat has literally doubled my HDL and decimated my trigs. This is not uncommon, for nondiabetics also. LDL may go up or down or stay the same depending. Try doing it for a few months then see if you can get a Full Lipid Panel, it's very rare for the numbers to worsen like they do on a "heart healthy" diet

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast