Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milk Solids B.S page

Allenete is offline Senior Member

Milk Solids B.S

Primal Fuel
    Frustrated!
    Why is it so hard to find REAL food, or products made from food in its natural form??
    It turns out the "milk solids" in my yoghurt, the yoghurt I'd chosen for its most natural and whole state, happens to be ... Powdered milk?
    I haven't heard good things about powdered milk.

Why?
    Where can I get normal yoghurt ?
    Is it possible to get unpasteurised milk products?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't know the laws in your country. Here, it's tough to get unpasteurized milk in some states, easier in others.

I've read that it isn't terribly difficult to make homemade yogurt, so maybe a healthfood store could get you started with what and how to start.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Chanda is offline Member
    Homemade Yogurt Without a Yogurt Maker Recipe

INGREDIENTS
    1 saucepan
    1 large bowl
    1 small bowl
    1 tablespoon yogurt starter or plain yogurt
    1 quart regular or 2% milk

Yield: 8 Servings (4 ounces each)
    RECIPE
    Warm up milk on medium-low until bubbles appear around the edge and steam rises from the surface.

Pour into large bowl to cool until temperature hits 110-115 on thermometer or if you don’t have one, do what the locals do: the temperature is correct when your index can stay in the warm milk for ten seconds.

Put starter in small bowl, add some of the heated milk and stir until well-blended. Pour small bowl mixture into large bowl a third at a time, making sure to stir and blend well before each addition. End with a final stir, making sure all is well-blended. Cover with a thick towel and keep in a warm place 4-6 hours until set.

Refrigerate for 8 hours before serving.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    If you can locate a niche dairy they often make their own, otherwise try the Jalna brand it's pretty good, <5% added milk solids and cultures, the rest is just biodynamic milk.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Jalna Organic Biodynamic is what I'm getting now.
    Wasn't really sure HOW much milk solids was in there...

And thank everyone - will definitely try that recipe.

Fantazmic is offline Member
    How annoying

I had been buying that Jalna yogurt because I 'thought' it was the best on the market. We don't have it very much...but it is the principle of it.....so annying and I totally agree....food isnt food....and people I know are either like me and want to know everything.....or stick their heads in the sand and don't want to know a thing about anything....and so the big food lies keep going !!

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Kalona makes the best yogurt I've tried (as well as the best cream, sour cream and cottage cheese).

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    Kalona makes the best yogurt I've tried (as well as the best cream, sour cream and cottage cheese).
    Their butter is also delicious. I like it better than Kerrygold. Does that make me a blasphemer?

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    Their butter is also delicious. I like it better than Kerrygold. Does that make me a blasphemer?
    bodysnatchers1.jpg

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Everybody, please buy as much as possible straight from farmers. The quality will be higher, and grocery stores often work together to not be competitors for buying from farmers and in this way extort the farmer.
    You won't be dealing with all these stupid additives and you're helping to save the planet
    Billie trips balls

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast