Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bored with my food - any suggestions? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Bored with my food - any suggestions?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I'm not bored yet per say... but I'm starting to feel a distinct repetitiveness in what I'm eating!

Typically my meals cycle around:

- Sea Food (shrimp, mussels, calamari, sea weed)
    - Ground beef
    - Wild salmon
    - Lamb (usually cooked in it's own broth)
    - Liver (rarely)
    - Eggs
    - Minimal dairy (milk, a bit of yogurt)
    - Coconut milk
    - Potatoes
    - Rice
    - All fruit and veg

I'm stumped about what else I could eat. Those are the only foods I actually crave but I know I'm going to start getting sick of them soon. Breakfast is getting particularly challenging: I don't always feel like eggs and I prefer to eat something warming first thing in the day. I've been wanting oatmeal lately, but it's purely cos' of the comfort factor...

I don't eat:
    - Chicken or pig
    - Quinoa (tears my stomach up)
    - Edit: Nuts or seeds (try to limit PUFA)
    - Organs (other than liver... I'm just not ready...!)

Would love your suggestions

EDIT: to everyone suggesting I use spices: you've missed this sentence------------> Oh, if anyone is looking for ideas on how to combine flavours, spices etc. I recommend "The Flavour Thesaurus." It's amazing!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 03-24-2013 at 02:14 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    theres a recipe for oatmeal 'no-atmeal' or something like that in the recipes section, although it does consist of eggs, it does have a thick texture remeniscent to that of regular oatmeal. also noticed you don't include nuts/seeds in your diet? the oatmeal includes nut butters more specifically almond, so maybe thats something you could get into? you could even marinate meats in nut butters, or even use seeds as a crust? food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    theres a recipe for oatmeal 'no-atmeal' or something like that in the recipes section, although it does consist of eggs, it does have a thick texture remeniscent to that of regular oatmeal. also noticed you don't include nuts/seeds in your diet? the oatmeal includes nut butters more specifically almond, so maybe thats something you could get into? you could even marinate meats in nut butters, or even use seeds as a crust? food for thought
    Thanks Jenny Probably should have mentioned - I don't eat nuts or seeds! I aim for minimal PUFA intake...

But maybe I could try it with coconut flour! I've never seen it for sale in the UK though...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    That is a great core list of foods. I don't know what you are currently doing with them but I suggest you may find that combining them in different ways may help provide the variety you are looking for.

For example ground beef can be made into meatballs with tomato salsa, meatloaf with baked potatoes and sour cream, meat patties with pineapple rings and lettuce for open burgers, mashed pumpkin topping for cottage pie, as a stuffing for baked marrow etc etc etc. Each with a different herb or spice combination for yet more variety.

All fruits and vegetables is a very large category, if you select just one or two of each, each day, then over a week or a month you have eaten many different fruits and veges without repetition. Eg instead of potatoes every day - one day carrots, another kumara, another pumpkin, the next swede, then beetroot, cauliflower and back to potatoes again (roasted instead of mashed this time, for example).

Mash the leftovers together with a beaten egg and make hashbrowns for breakfast with a slice of bacon and some fried mushrooms. Technically you are still eating egg but it doesn't seem like it.

Or make banana waffles - again, it's really egg in disguise. Just as filling but tastes different.

Also if you eat what's in season you can go crazy for a while on strawberries, or peaches, or feijoas, then move on with the seasons.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a specific idea because you're eating a pretty varied group of proteins, but when I get bored, I google something like, "ground beef recipes," and then use something that looks good and substitute primal ingredients for the non-primal ones in the recipe. Even googling "paleo lamb recipes" will get you a lot of hits. (Or whatever protein you have on hand.)

Not sure if you'd like this for breakfast. Take some bone broth and add some seaweed. Just as it comes to a rolling boil, turn down the heat and crack an egg into it. Stir the egg so that it breaks and sort of flakes as it sets in the boiling water. Like egg drop soup, but different. I sometimes also add a little lemon juice and some cayenne pepper. It's very comforting.

For the sea food, stews and chowders are good alternatives and they're really filling. Red or white with some potatoes and other veggies. Add fish at the end.

A poached egg over just about any plain-ish beef dish is like the lazy gurl's hollandaise. I put the poached egg on top, then slap it with my fork so the yolk runs all over the dish.

Hope some of that helps.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I couldn't live without onions. Well, maybe exaggerating here, but only slightly. Caramelized onions in a little cooking fat of choice make a perfect base for many meals. I love them in combination with grilled or baked salmon. Sometimes if I feel to lazy to stand by my cook top I just cook some coarsely chopped onions in the oven with avocado or coconut oil till browned then add whatever other vegetables I have on hand. Mushrooms, peppers, squash, zucchini....or sometimes just ground beef and cabbage, for a casserole type of meal.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Playing around with ethnic flavors is always fun- Indian, Middle Eastern, Greek.

I get the breakfast issue- I get tired of eggs too. I will sometimes have a smoothie or paleo pancakes or paleo muffins. Maybe you could make a hot cereal out of rice, cream, some fruit, bolstered with some eggs? Like a simple rice pudding.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Kool is offline Senior Member
    This looks yummy
    Coconut Lemon Bars ~ The Paleo Way | Gluten Free Real Food

Had this last week and it was delicious! Really had to dig around to find a almond-flour less primal pancakes
    Grain-Free (and dairy-free) Fluffy Coconut Flour Pancakes, revisited | Nourishing Days

Chocolate avocado pudding is a nice spin

Instead of rice or quinoa
    Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    That is a great core list of foods. I don't know what you are currently doing with them but I suggest you may find that combining them in different ways may help provide the variety you are looking for.

For example ground beef can be made into meatballs with tomato salsa, meatloaf with baked potatoes and sour cream, meat patties with pineapple rings and lettuce for open burgers, mashed pumpkin topping for cottage pie, as a stuffing for baked marrow etc etc etc. Each with a different herb or spice combination for yet more variety.

Mash the leftovers together with a beaten egg and make hashbrowns for breakfast with a slice of bacon and some fried mushrooms. Technically you are still eating egg but it doesn't seem like it.

Or make banana waffles - again, it's really egg in disguise. Just as filling but tastes different.
    These are great suggestions Annie - thanks! I checked out your journal this morning and will be popping in frequently for meal inspiration

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Playing around with ethnic flavors is always fun- Indian, Middle Eastern, Greek.

I get the breakfast issue- I get tired of eggs too. I will sometimes have a smoothie or paleo pancakes or paleo muffins. Maybe you could make a hot cereal out of rice, cream, some fruit, bolstered with some eggs? Like a simple rice pudding.
    Ha - I had rice pudding last night actually And yeah, I checked out the banana-egg pancake recipe - will defo try it.

Smoothies are a good idea... this is going to sound weird, but do you ever make hot ones?! Just really like the idea of some hot foods in the morning... I'm making carrot soup as we speak. Well... as I type!

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast