Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bored with my food - any suggestions? page 4

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Spices and seasonings are where its at. For a while there I kind of forgot about curry powder and paprika. Then I started looking for excuses to use lime. When I get restless with my cooking (never bored. Bored people are boring people) I click on over to a Paleo or Real Food blog and find something new.

Or I add feta cheese to an old standby.

Or I add a poached egg to an old standby.

Or I try a new homemade salad dressing.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

jmosery is offline Member
    This is my favorite site for recipes

It's a low carb site but its great for simple real food recipe ideas

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes

Sasifrass is offline Junior Member
    No pork, no chicken. But their are enormous other options. Turkey, duck, goose, quail, and phesant. Venison, bison, elk, and moose. Rabbit, goat, and even kangaroo. Goat carnitas instead of pork, you will need to add extra fat to it though. Duck confit, enough said. Pan fried rabbit with gravy. Venison stew or chilli. Smoked turkey wraped around avocado and cream cheese. Buffalo burgers stuffed with bleu cheese topped with roasted garlic butter.

Widen your circle of options if you can find them.

miata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Not sure if you'd like this for breakfast. Take some bone broth and add some seaweed. Just as it comes to a rolling boil, turn down the heat and crack an egg into it. Stir the egg so that it breaks and sort of flakes as it sets in the boiling water. Like egg drop soup, but different. I sometimes also add a little lemon juice and some cayenne pepper..
    This sounds like a great idea. I love bone broth, but having difficulty with other family members.

miata is online now Senior Member
    If you like you can pretty much turn any of those things into a Thai delight with just coconut milk and Pre-packaged Thai spices.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Browse:

Http://www.tastespotting.com
    Http://www.foodgawker.com

For inspiration!

Also, being you eat rice, try differents forms of it. Rice pasta opens a world of recipe ideas. Rice flour for bread or batter/breading.

Rice noodle lasagna with a delicious meat and veggie sauce, or a white sauce. So many possibilities!

I agree with Zach about the corn, too. Nixtamalized corn tortillas are righteous. You can cut them into chips and cook them in coconut oil.
    Last edited by j3nn; 03-24-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It's funny, my minimal dairy is cream and butter, not milk and yoghurt

Just to respond to the thread title, my immediate reaction was 'spices'. I basically ALWAYS add some of the following to meals I cook: onions, garlic, ginger, basil, oregano, cumin, tumeric, chilli, curry powder, cardamon, lemongrass, salt and pepper.

Half the meal is the 'body' of the meal, but the other half (the spices) are the soul.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    No pork?!?! Saddest day. This week I am totally over "breakfast eggs" (though still eating them hardboiled in my lunch salad) so I am having smoked pork roast with broccoli and fried potatoes for breakfast.

Do you like chili? It has become one of my staples. Ground turkey (for the delightful texture) plus fine chopped stew beef. I follow this recipe, more or less: My Favorite Chili Recipe | theclothesmakethegirl And this week I am adding some fine chopped potato to it. I actually love eating this for breakfast, its super portable and comforting.

I second the idea of runny egg smooshed over just about any protein, that is pretty delicious. I recently tried banana egg pancakes and they were bomb, but patience is required. And they are VERY filling, one or two smallish ones was enough for me.

I'm totally on board with you re: wheat/gluteny grains, and for the same reason as you, they made me miserable. Bloated, migrainey, sickly, ibs, etc.

Corn tortillas though? No problems in my system. Creamy enchilada bakes, homemade corn chips, crunchy tacos. Nom nom nom. :3

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Not sure if you'd like this for breakfast. Take some bone broth and add some seaweed. Just as it comes to a rolling boil, turn down the heat and crack an egg into it. Stir the egg so that it breaks and sort of flakes as it sets in the boiling water. Like egg drop soup, but different. I sometimes also add a little lemon juice and some cayenne pepper. It's very comforting.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    This sounds like a great idea. I love bone broth, but having difficulty with other family members.
    i eat this most days and even after 2+ years of it, my b/f thinks it's hilarious. i also add some sambal sauce and either a pat of butter or a blob of coconut oil. i LOVE it.

op: how much effort do you put into cooking? because if you enjoy it the google-fu is your mighty friend.

start playing around with herbs and spices:Quick Guide to Every Herb and Spice in the Cupboard | The Kitchn

try learning a new dish or 2 each week.

i love to cook and love eating this way. i am never bored with my food.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasifrass View Post
    No pork, no chicken. But their are enormous other options. Turkey, duck, goose, quail, and phesant. Venison, bison, elk, and moose. Rabbit, goat, and even kangaroo. Goat carnitas instead of pork, you will need to add extra fat to it though. Duck confit, enough said. Pan fried rabbit with gravy. Venison stew or chilli. Smoked turkey wraped around avocado and cream cheese. Buffalo burgers stuffed with bleu cheese topped with roasted garlic butter.

Widen your circle of options if you can find them.
    Broaden my horizons to include more living things.. I like it I actually love ostrich but it's so difficult to find...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast