Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bored with my food - any suggestions? page 2

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I don't have a specific idea because you're eating a pretty varied group of proteins, but when I get bored, I google something like, "ground beef recipes," and then use something that looks good and substitute primal ingredients for the non-primal ones in the recipe. Even googling "paleo lamb recipes" will get you a lot of hits. (Or whatever protein you have on hand.)

Not sure if you'd like this for breakfast. Take some bone broth and add some seaweed. Just as it comes to a rolling boil, turn down the heat and crack an egg into it. Stir the egg so that it breaks and sort of flakes as it sets in the boiling water. Like egg drop soup, but different. I sometimes also add a little lemon juice and some cayenne pepper. It's very comforting.

For the sea food, stews and chowders are good alternatives and they're really filling. Red or white with some potatoes and other veggies. Add fish at the end.

A poached egg over just about any plain-ish beef dish is like the lazy gurl's hollandaise. I put the poached egg on top, then slap it with my fork so the yolk runs all over the dish.

Hope some of that helps.
    Thanks Joanie! You know, part of the thing is that I want separation between meals. I think that's the only thing I miss about SAD - every meal had a different personality. Broth is very much a lunch / dinner / bedtime snack for me - don't want to bring it into morning time. Chowder is a good idea though!

I tend to cook my meats in similar ways all the time, so even thinking about different methodologies (casserole instead of stir fry) is good.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There's nothing that makes food taste as good as a 2 day fast.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    You mention ground beef but what about steaks? Or a roast beef? I love both of those. We do them whole on the grill or make kabobs with veggies. Yummy

I'm kind of a creature of habit and actually love eating the same thing over and over. I almost always have some kind of omelet for lunch because I dig eating them and it's easy to figure the calories. I probably make Mark's carnitas at least once every two weeks, and use the bone to make a fantastic bone broth, which them becomes the base for broccoli rabe soup, which is bone broth with tons of broccoli rabe, shredded chicken or carnitas, egg drop, and mini meatballs. I could eat that for days! And do. Egg drop is basically just whisking a few eggs together in a bowl and then whisking them quickly into hot broth. It adds a lot of protein and texture and tastes so good!

Oh and Mark's carnita recipe is the most delicious new thing I've tried since becoming Primal. It's ridiculously good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    This looks yummy
    Coconut Lemon Bars ~ The Paleo Way | Gluten Free Real Food

Had this last week and it was delicious! Really had to dig around to find a almond-flour less primal pancakes
    Grain-Free (and dairy-free) Fluffy Coconut Flour Pancakes, revisited | Nourishing Days

Chocolate avocado pudding is a nice spin

Instead of rice or quinoa
    Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo
    Thanks for those links Kool! Nice sites.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I couldn't live without onions. Well, maybe exaggerating here, but only slightly. Caramelized onions in a little cooking fat of choice make a perfect base for many meals. I love them in combination with grilled or baked salmon. Sometimes if I feel to lazy to stand by my cook top I just cook some coarsely chopped onions in the oven with avocado or coconut oil till browned then add whatever other vegetables I have on hand. Mushrooms, peppers, squash, zucchini....or sometimes just ground beef and cabbage, for a casserole type of meal.
    Ha - each to their own, I'm a minimalist onion user! Too much work for the return Casseroles are a great idea though - maybe I'll branch into lamb tajines...

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There's nothing that makes food taste as good as a 2 day fast.
    I'm done with starving myself. Hunger isn't the best sauce for me.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    You mention ground beef but what about steaks? Or a roast beef? I love both of those. We do them whole on the grill or make kabobs with veggies. Yummy

I'm kind of a creature of habit and actually love eating the same thing over and over. I almost always have some kind of omelet for lunch because I dig eating them and it's easy to figure the calories. I probably make Mark's carnitas at least once every two weeks, and use the bone to make a fantastic bone broth, which them becomes the base for broccoli rabe soup, which is bone broth with tons of broccoli rabe, shredded chicken or carnitas, egg drop, and mini meatballs. I could eat that for days! And do. Egg drop is basically just whisking a few eggs together in a bowl and then whisking them quickly into hot broth. It adds a lot of protein and texture and tastes so good!

Oh and Mark's carnita recipe is the most delicious new thing I've tried since becoming Primal. It's ridiculously good.
    Great ideas LV - thanks! Do you reckon I could use that carnita recipe for lamb?

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    The reason you're so bored with food is because it seems like you put too much thought into it.

How about eating some nice ice cream? Or, a sourdough grilled cheese sandwich(big recommendation here, good lord it's so good, it takes you back to being a kid). Do some things with gelatin too. Like mashed up bananas, dates, vanilla ice cream and gelatin. Blend, put it in the freezer, and enjoy your monstrous, gelatinous creation like a mad scientist.

Go out to a chinese buffet and eat all their sweets they create with fruit, so good. Can even pig out on raw shellfish and stuff. Just some things I like to do.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    The reason you're so bored with food is because it seems like you put too much thought into it.

How about eating some nice ice cream? Or, a sourdough grilled cheese sandwich(big recommendation here, good lord it's so good, it takes you back to being a kid). Do some things with gelatin too. Like mashed up bananas, dates, vanilla ice cream and gelatin. Blend, put it in the freezer, and enjoy your monstrous, gelatinous creation like a mad scientist.

Go out to a chinese buffet and eat all their sweets they create with fruit, so good. Can even pig out on raw shellfish and stuff. Just some things I like to do.
    SOME people like to cook Derp!

I can't eat sour dough bread. I grew up on it and I every time I eat it I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Banana-date-gel-cream monstrosity sounds good though

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    SOME people like to cook Derp!
    shudder...
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast