Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My only vice page 3

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Stevia is one of the reasons I never even considered doing something like the Whole 30. Well, that and the no-caffeine bit, which goes hand-in-hand with the stevia.

My favorite is New Roots stevia extract powder, which has no fillers. A 30g container costs about $12 and it lasts me months. A little bit goes a long way. Not sure if it's available in the US.

I've tried Truvia and others with fillers/bulking agents like chicory, malto, along with xylitol and erythritol etc and just plain don't like them.

Also don't like the drops at all. Did use most of a tin of Sweet Leaf tablets last summer, both when touring and camping on my motorcycle and while on a work trip in the UK for a month.

Not nearly as good as the New Roots IMHO, but handier when on the road, and there was no fine white powder with a bitter taste to try to explain when crossing borders.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It's all good. Mine is aspartame. I use Tito sweeten my lemonade and coffee like it's going out of fashion.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I was a sugar fiend, and the longer you stay away from it, the less sweet you will like things, the further a little honey or maple syrup will get you. I was a sugar and cream in my coffee gal, and now I find coconut milk is sweet enough. I would think you could eliminate stevia if you wanted to. But I don't know that it is a problem.

On a side note, whenever I feel weird about using sweetener, I think back to the old days when I ate so much sugar with every meal. I probably ate 1/2cup or more a day. So you know, a tsp in some tea or some maple syrup in a dessert seems very minimal.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I was a sugar fiend, and the longer you stay away from it, the less sweet you will like things, the further a little honey or maple syrup will get you. I was a sugar and cream in my coffee gal, and now I find coconut milk is sweet enough. I would think you could eliminate stevia if you wanted to. But I don't know that it is a problem.

On a side note, whenever I feel weird about using sweetener, I think back to the old days when I ate so much sugar with every meal. I probably ate 1/2cup or more a day. So you know, a tsp in some tea or some maple syrup in a dessert seems very minimal.
    This gets my vote for best answer.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Stevia is great for "enhancing" ordinary table sugar - have you ever tried to blend them? Here where I live they sell a sugar-Stevia mixture that I find much better and sweeter than plain sugar, so I haven't used ordinary sugar for years now...
    Sweet Leaf makes a really nice Stevia/sugar blend. I found it by accident in the reduced bin at my local grocery store. My only use for it is in coconut milk based hot chocolate. I really like it. I also have the liquid concentrated plain Stevia that for the most part just sits in the fridge.
    Personally, I don't think it's too bad if you use the one that doesn't have the nasty fillers in it.

Kool is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I find xylitol to have a better taste than stevia
    Have you tried that?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123