Thread: I need help. Not losing weight. Am I doing this right page

Graham is offline Junior Member

I need help. Not losing weight. Am I doing this right

Primal Fuel
    This is my 3rd week doing PB. My first week was trial and error, and then my second week was aweseome. No grains at all. I have done some reading on here and I figured I must be doing something wrong. I am eating way less than I was before and abolutely no processed carbs or food. I might have eaten too many walnuts last week. I injured my shoulder and ankle a few months ago so I am trying to do the best I can when it comes to exercise. I ride the stationary bike three times week for 45 minutes at 60% HR. I lift weights once a week, sprint once a week and try some kind of HIIT.
    I know this is a common topic, but I would love to hear from people with experience doing this.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    We would need to see a daily menu to give advice on what you're eating.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Graham is offline Junior Member

My daily food log

Breakfast
    coffee with cream
    Shakeology meal replacement with natural ground almond butter

Snack
    Banana
    1/4 cup walnuts

Lunch
    CHicken with coleslaw or Beef potroast with carrots and onions

Snack
    Cheese and carrots, apple

Dinner
    4oz protein with veggies
    some type of berries

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    get rid of the shake....eat scrambled eggs or something, use butter

drop the banana/walnut combo and try macadamias if you need a snack

make sure theres plenty of fat in your lunch

drop cheese... eat more lunch so you dont need a snack

make sure dinner is substantial... more fatty meat, less berries

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I'd tend to lean toward more nonstarchy produce. A lot more.

Breakfast:
    Ditch the shake
    have eggs, fish or meat - palm sized portion (approx) with salad or cooked veggies and appropriate amounts of fat.

Snack:
    ditch the banana *for sure* (imo, they're as practically a potato;p)
    have a few walnuts (6 or so halves), some veggies, and a little protein if you need it

Lunch:
    Non starchy veggies with palm size (approx) animal protein

Dinner:
    Same as/similar to lunch

Personally, I do assess calcium and magnesium intake, supplementing as needed: 250-500 mg calcium per day from all sources and and 375-1000 mg magnesium per day from all sources depending on muscle tension as a symptom.

optimal 25(OH)D level is critical for just about everything to operate well in the body.
    1)get unprotected, midday *summer* exposure to the point just before a burn would occur
    OR
    2)get sufficient vitamin D to bring serum 25(OH)D levels to the middle of the reference range: 60-65 ng/mL or the nmol/L equivalent which is 150-163 nmol/L.

For most not getting midday unprotected full body exposure, this will be around 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight. If you're able to get a good bit of incidental exposure, you'll need less supplemental D.

ZRT has a great home test that's very easy. It's available 3 places that I know of:
    vitamindcouncil.org ($10 is donated to that worthy organization)
    ZRT labs
    D*Action - a population based study that is also VERY worth participating in if you can: grassrootshealth.net

See my signature line links for more details on D testing.

Here's what The Primal Blueprint says about produce:

p40 TPB
    The gathering of berries and other fruit, leafy greens, primitive roots, shoots and other vegetation, nuts and seeds provide the bulk of Grok's food supply.
    p.112 TPB
    it may take some acclimation to center your diet around vegetables....Dont follow the example of restaurants that serve skimpy vegetable portions seemingly just for decoration; serve yourself heaping portions that crowd everything else on your plate
    p.111
    [
    ]Plant foods..naturally promote a beneficial balance between acidity and alkalinity..inyour bloodstream. Almost all cells prefer a slightly alkaline environment to function properly, but many metabolic processes, including the normal production of cellular energy, result in the release of acidic waste products. The buildup of acidic waste is toxic to your body so ti works very hard at all times to preserve a slightly alkaline environment, measured by the familiar pH levels.

p110 TPB
    see food pyramid: the base is produce indicating that in terms of volume, this is a produce dominated diet.
    His food pyramid is a clear supportive visual to both his writing, and the evidence available regarding a
    primal diet (diet in our environment of evolutionary adaptation). Volume-wise, we're eating mostly produce, though in terms of a percentage of calories, we are getting more first from fat, then protein.

In this blogpost regarding inflammation and gut health, Mark said:
    I mentioned Dr. Art Ayer’s Cooling Inflammation blog last week, and I’m
    to do so again. First, Art suggests adopting an anti-inflammatory diet. His dietary
    recommendations are essentially identical to mine – high SFA, moderate animal
    protein, low O-6, O-3 supplementation, leafy greens, some fruit and nuts.
    Best,
    Katherine
    Last edited by cillakat; 10-11-2010 at 10:34 AM.