Thread: Two and a half months Paleo and . . . page

Greg3763 is offline Junior Member

Two and a half months Paleo and . . .

Shop Now
    Greetings everyone

I started this journey on January 4th. My vegan sister had just left home after visiting over Christmas break and as usual, we had our diet and nutrition arguments. I argued from an evolutionary standpoint (finding out later an uneducated evolutionary standpoint) - which got me no where arguing against a YEC (young earth creationist) vegan. It never occurred to me (duh!) that our primal ancestors did not eat grains or dairy. It just seemed like they had been around for ever and had been eaten/drunk forever. Then I stumbled in iTunes over the documentary "The Perfect Human Diet." This documentary changed my life forever. I downloaded it as I made a very un-paleo dinner, sent it to my apple TVs, and sat down to watch and eat. I never finished my un-paleo dinner, throwing the remains in the trash can. I have eaten paleo ever since (except one night not to hurt my mothers feelings prior to bringing her up to speed on my dietary changes)

I had lost 50 pounds about two years ago. I invested $5000+ in bowflex equipment including a home gym, adjustable dumbbells, and the top of the line treadclimber. For the first year it sat unused in an exercise room but then one day I got off my lazy you know what and went wacko. I ran treadclimbers into the ground. After bowflex replacing it twice (which of course means I burned up 3 treadclimbers - beautiful machines, great customer service, but not well engineered and not designed to handle every day use). By now the warranties are null and void and the dead treadclimber has gone back to gathering dust. I refuse to spend more money to repair or replace such a poorly engineered piece of equipment. But, at the time I thought it was great. I was eating anything I wanted and dropping pounds. I wear suits on an almost daily basis, and thank God I have a great tailor who could turn a 46R into a 42R.

Well, to say the least, once the crazy cardio sessions ended most of the weight came back. It would have all come back and more if not for my stumbling across "The Perfect Human Diet." I could barely button the suit pants I had tailored down, I could not button my suit jackets. I went back up in jean sizes. I even suspect I lost a promotion from wearing a suit that obviously did not fit. Not a good look.

In the two months and a half I have lost all that weight I gained back and then some (down 35 lbs and three inches in my waist). I weigh less than I did at the end of my crazy cardio sessions. My suits fit again - even some of them fitting a little too loose. I am back to a 32" inseam in my jeans (I can't even wear my 34's anymore - two and a half months ago they were fitting tight and I was ready to go up a size, now I can hardly keep them from falling down without a belt). And it has been the easiest transition in my life. I have had no issues or problems staying on the diet. Being a professionally trained cook (took classes during summer school breaks just for fun) I have no problems cooking yummy paleo meals. I am not even tempted by donuts or milk chocolate anymore. I used to not be able to walk by a box a donuts without scarfing down two or three. I never met a Hershey bar I did not like. Now I can sit and look at donut box and a bowl of chocolates without even an urge to reach over and grab.

Everybody at work has noticed the change. It hasn't just been my weight. My demeanor is much more upbeat. I smile more. My assistant principal (female) has told me that my skin looks exfoliated (whatever that means). My cafeteria manager has helped by making sure that there is something for me to eat on a daily basis. Everybody at work has been very supportive. Before spring break I celebrated the big 50, and instead of a cake they had a fruit salad with candles in it. I ended up downloading "The Perfect Human Diet" on my iPad and have now shared it with five or six of my teachers/support staff. I believe I have convinced some people at school to convert. It is such an easy thing when the transformation in me is so obvious. I also invite them to read some of the books I have downloaded (The Primal Blueprint, The Primal Connection, The New Evolution Diet, The Paleo Diet, The Paleo Diet for Athletes, The Paleo Solution, Primal Body Primal Mind, etc.). Good thing I have more than one iPad (I use my new iPad and let them borrow my old one

Since going Paleo I have met numerous other people in my school district that are also Paleo. We text and email all the time and update each other on our progress. Wished I could make it to PaleoFX13, but they went and scheduled it the week before state standardized testing (STAAR), and there is no way I can skip out the weekend before testing occurs - too much work and prepping required to be taking off.

Anyway, I guess I will sign off now - enough about me

Hope to meet some more Paleoites at conferences and gatherings in the future

C-Ya
    Go Wolfpack
    Last edited by Greg3763; 03-22-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Gregg! I'm glad primal is going well for you.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    You are in a great position to be a role model for healthy primal eating, it's great that others are a) supporting you and b) catching on. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    You are in a great position to be a role model for healthy primal eating, it's great that others are a) supporting you and b) catching on. Great stuff.
    I just wish I had more control over what they serve the students in the cafeteria. That is controlled by the CNS department at the district level. I have no control over what they feed the students for breakfast or lunch. It kills me on a daily basis to see all the pizza, nachos, etc. coming out on the students food trays. I do give my cafeteria manager a rash of crap about all his Food Pyramids he has posted all over the cafeteria and remind him that it is the same diet that ranchers use to fatten up live stock. But once again, his hands are tied by the CNS department and state guidelines for allegedly "healthy" breakfasts and lunches.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    I was going to ask Greg what you though of the new school lunches, and is it hard seeing what's fed to the kids? I understand you don't make the decisions there.

Quote Originally Posted by s-piper View Post
    I was going to ask Greg what you though of the new school lunches, and is it hard seeing what's fed to the kids? I understand you don't make the decisions there.
    I really don't see a big difference in what we feed the kids post the new nutritional guidelines and requirements.

We fed them pizza in the past, we still do
    We fed them hamburgers in the past, we still do
    We fed them nachos in the past, we still do
    We fed them mac and cheese in the past, we still do
    We fed them breaded mystery meat patties in the past, we still do

The main differences are that we are not allowed to fry anything anymore and there are portion size requirements on some items. A few years back the district came and took all the deep fat fryers out of the cafeterias and auctioned them off. Now everything is baked. Which does not make a whole lot of sense because much of the food the cafeteria puts on sheets and bakes had to be par-fried. And how can anybody see tortilla chips with fake cheese sauce as a healthy entree. This one has bothered me for years, which means prior to switching to paleo/primal.

One of the big things that kills me on a daily basis is watching all the fruit and vegetables that get thrown away. The kids will eat the entree not touch the salad, broccoli, banana, pear, carrots, etc. They have to be served them (a good part of the nutritional guidelines and requirements) but we can't force them to eat them.

What needs to happen, IMHO, is that we need more PHd's trained in primal/ancestral health. Then we need these people in key positions. Too many of the nutrition programs around the country still teach USDA food pyramid. My vegan sister is working on a bachelor's in nutrition and has professors that agree with, and support, her vegan lifestyle as the most healthy one. She always throws what her professors say back at me. We need to combat this with more professors teaching our upcoming health professionals to look beyond what is not working. Maybe someday one of these individuals can start making informed and intelligent decisions about school lunches.

Here I go on my soapbox again

But in retrospect, the new lunch guidelines haven't changed anything other than to take fats off the table, serve fruits and vegetables that the kids won't eat, and promote the USDA food pyramid and the drinking of lowfat milk. Hell, all the the food pyramid posters we have posted around the cafeteria are from the mild industry, and the milk mustache posters are everywhere, and if the cafeteria manager doesn't post them he gets in trouble with his bosses. Big Agra forcing and flexing their muscles again.

Not good
    Last edited by Greg3763; 03-23-2013 at 09:55 AM.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, and I'm not really surprised by what you've said.
    I did think the guideline about chocolate milk having to be skim was silly because from what I can remember from school it always was. Up until middle school when we were no longer forced to get a milk everyday, the fat-free chocolate milk was the most popular item. I don't remember anyone chosing whole milk.

I'm in graduate school studying science, and I think training PhD's in ancestral health is kind of tricky because we sort of already have those except they're Anthropologists, Archeologists. or Evolutionary Biologists who specifically chose to study human evolution. It's no secret to these groups that brain sizes started increasing in the ancestral species of modern humans as meat consumption increased, and that paleolithic humans were about as tall as we are now, but got shorter and had more skeletal and dental problems in correlation with the rise of agriculture. However, people in these fields don't really have much influence on nutritional guidelines. That's left to nutritionists.
    I haven't had any training in that field, but from what I understand it pretty much just parrots USDA guidelines...so it's kind of a self-perpetuating cycle. Nutrition guidelines are built on the recommendations of nutritionists, and nutritionists are trained according to nutrition guidelines.
    Last edited by s-piper; 03-23-2013 at 08:52 PM.