Thread: Running- negative impact? page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

Running- negative impact?

Primal Fuel
    I know that running other than super slow or sprints, isn't really primal.

But I want to do it! I like it, it's a huge stress release for me, and the only time I really have to do something for myself. I don't get the same feeling from walking, and while I will work in a day or two of some hills or sprints, most days I want to get out and run and space out.

I also do some strength training 2-3 days a week.

I am running 20-30 miles per week. Not a ton, but I think this is technically "chronic cardio". I do have 10 or so pounds I could stand to loose.

Will running this amount 1)have a negative impact on my health? and 2) be counter productive to dropping a few fat %?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    1. Your talking 3-4 miles a day. Thats really not "chronic cardio" territory so I wouldn't worry.
    2. Only if you get ravenous from the activity and overeat.

The point really is nobody NEEDS to do cardio to loose weight, and everyone SHOULD be doing some resistance training.

miata is online now Senior Member
    That is nothing extreme. I cycle rather than run, but I think the key thing is to stay within bounds and to do some more intense strength training in addition to the aerobic stuff. I noticed for myself that starting strength training made huge improvements in terms of energy levels, weight control, etc. I've even reduced my cycling to 50 miles/week of commuting and 60-80 miles of weekend riding in the hills.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I've posted this before, but the main things that makes it "chronic" are that you are pushing hard too often to recover properly.

Do it because you like it. If it's not fun and restful and stress-free, don't do it.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    most days I want to get out and run and space out.
    I think that is a pretty big sign that it is good for you, personally.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Much of what I have read falls under the maxim that for most people, their slow runs are too fast and their fast runs are too slow. I Believe the amount of running you are doing is fine and that you may be better off keeping your longer runs in the aerobic zone (read Maffetone's books and site) and pushing hard with sprints or intervals on your shorter, faster days.