Thread: Question from a Noob page

Whitestone1550 is offline Junior Member

Question from a Noob

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I recently purchased the primal blueprint and have been spending a lot of time on the forums trying to get a good idea of how I should approach this diet. I have been on it for a week, and have definitely been feeling the effects of the "induction flu" that I have read about on this forum. The symptoms are getting better though. I have no idea if my body has entered ketosis yet though. What I am mostly concerned about is how do I balance all the numbers I have seen on this diet.

Griff has mentioned that you need to eat about 70% fat in you diet and 10% carbs.
    You are also supposed to eat 1gram per pound of lean body mass.
    I am also concerned because I have read insanely ranging numbers as far as how many calories you are supposed to get. (Mark had a post saying he had sometimes 500-1000 calories less per day).
    The simple fact is I am full a lot on this diet and am just not hungry, but I know my calorie intake is still low.

I guess my question is, How do I make all of this work together?

Thanks,
    Joey G.

addition : You are also supposed to eat 1gram per pound of lean body mass. <- of protein

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Well, first, stop trying to go by calories. When you're hungry, eat until you feel satisfied (not stuffed) and then stop, and don't eat again until you are hungry again. It's okay for your caloric intake to be low because you're eating the food your body needs instead of just the empty carb calories that get pushed on us by CW.

Buy Ketostix and see if you're in ketosis by peeing on them. They're not that expensive. You can get them at any pharmacy.

You don't need to "balance and track" unless you stall, really. Eat meat, eggs, fish, animal fat, minimal fruit, the occasional handful of nuts or small square of 70% or better chocolate, no grains or legumes or processed foods, and plenty of low-starch veggies. It's a lot simpler than most people think it's going to be.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

So I really don't need to pay attention to calories? Sometimes, I only eat two meals a day because I'm just not hungry. I was certain that I was going to start burning muscle instead of fat or something.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Ha no. Keep insulin levels low, protein at a moderate level and keep good fats high and you will burn....fat. Yes fat. Because that is what muscles burn for energy when there aren't any carbs. You have a lot of stored fuel on your body and if you're getting adequate micronutrients you just might not be hungry. Your body sees the famine as over.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Well Thanks for all the help. You guys made this a lot easier (and I mean a LOT). I was very worried that I wasn't going to be able to do this because I couldn't seem to get the numbers right.

Thanks again,
    Joey G.

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    Yeahp, this is an amazin forum, with amazing people...welcome aboard!.