Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Libbys canned corned beef and sauerkraut? Opinions on them? page

candy corn is offline Member

Libbys canned corned beef and sauerkraut? Opinions on them?

Primal Fuel
    ingredients for the corned beef:

Cooked Beef, Beef, Water, Salt, Sugar And Sodium Nitrate

and for the sauerkraut:

Sauerkraut, Water, Salt

saw these to items side by side at the store today and suddenly got hit with a want for a rueben. Would using these two items be acceptable? I make my own mayo and ketchup so mixing the 2 would give me a dressing and then i could just mix it with a bowl of kraut and beef.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Don't like fresh corned beef?

candy corn is offline Member
    besides this ive never seen a brand of corned beef in the store without corn syrup or more additives that what is in that tin.

I've never considered eating canned corned beef. I don't consider it real food, something to do with what the processing does to the flavor and texture. I think my mother served it once or twice.

The sauekraut sounds fine - although sometimes at farmers market you can get real sauerkraut that is naturally fermented and has good probiotics. I'd go with fresh real corned beef! Easy to find this time of year cause of St. Paddy's!

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Gross, super low quality meat. Avoid.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what a reuben is, but I'd say yes on the sourkraut (can NEVER spell it) and "errrrrr suppose now and again it won't kill you" on the tinned corned beef

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Well, the sauerkraut seems like it might be a true-fermented brand if the only ingredients are water, salt, and cabbage.

However, Libby's is not a brand I necessarilly think of when I go for quality. If you want a brand of sauerkraut that comes with my personal seal of recommendation, that I know for SURE is a true-fermented 'kraut and not just possibly so, I recommend "Bubbies" which I know they sell at Whole Foods and I assume similar types of stores would be likely to have it.

Or you can source out a local producer like I have at my farmer's market that serves up the real deal.

Buy the sauerkraut that comes in the plastic envelopes in the pickle section.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I've never considered eating canned corned beef. I don't consider it real food, something to do with what the processing does to the flavor and texture. I think my mother served it once or twice.
    I confess I love canned corned beef. I blame it on being from HI and also having the required love for SPAM as well! The fresh stuff is awesome too! Speaking of, I cured my own corned beef last week and made fresh corned beef hash with turnips instead of potatoes last night. Delicious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast