Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Eating .... At first I felt GREAT ... but now .... :( page

Primal Eating .... At first I felt GREAT ... but now .... :(

Primal Fuel
    I need advice/ideas. I started doing primal with the help of nutritionist. I sort of eased into it - but I did immediately cut out sugar and all processed foods. For the first 1-2 weeks I felt like crap as I was detoxing from my sugar/processed food addiction - but that is to be expected.

Then I felt GREAT! I had never felt so great in my life. The weight was coming off at about 2 lbs a week, I had energy, my digestive track was starting to work normally.

And then slowly over time, my body just feels terrible again - even though I generally eat primal at least 90% of the time (I will have 1-2 meals a week that are "cheat" meals - typically these are still high quality foods and in moderation - example: small piece of flourless chocolate cake (made with cane sugar) for birthday celebration. I just have no energy and require so much sleep. I never feel fully "awake" and am just tired a lot. I don't feel good anymore.

Any ideas on what could be wrong with me? Or what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!

I should add, just in case it helps, that I am 32, 5'8, started at 290 but lost 25 lbs on the diet (until I totally have plateaued for the last month+), I do have insulin resistance and tend to carry all my weight in my belly.

thehowlmoon is offline Junior Member
    Are you following the Primal Exercise routine or just the diet? I'm assuming you cut out all types of grains? What's a normal day like in terms of meals?

Just the diet. It was a major life overhaul so at first I felt like eating primal was a major change and wanted t ofocus on that adjustment. I now walk about 30 minutes a day outside. I'd like to add the exercise but I am so fatigued all the time - between working full time and being a student - eating primal, walking, and sleeping enough seem to be all I can handle and I can hardly handle that. I should try adding exercise - sprinting and heavy weights etc to see if that helps things. If I could manage on 8-9 hours of sleep, I'd have plenty of time for this stuff!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    You may want to get some blood work done. Check Vitamin D, hormones, full thyroid panel, anything else your doc recommends for fatigue!

I felt like that for about 10 years, from onset of puberty until last year. What helped me was keeping to a regular sleep schedule, and learning that I had low progesterone (and treating that)! Regular exercise only helps me a little.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Does "eating primal" mean eating real foods, or eating low carb?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.
    Unless...how often do you eat during the day? I feel like there's somewhat too much of an emphasis on skipping lunch in the Primal community. You don't have to only have 2 meals a day.

However, I would also suggest seeing a doctor and getting bloodwork done because since your weightloss has also stalled it sounds like the symptom of a hormone imbalance like maybe hypothyriod.

I am eating whole real foods and low carbs. Generally I eat things like grass fed steak, chicken thighs with skin, free range eggs, and lots of veggies. Minimal fruit, and full fat greek yogurt.

My doctor just retested all my blood work - hopefully I find the results soon.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Yes, blood work is needed.

Something like this happened to me. 2.5 weeks of omg do I feel bad. Follow by "Oh, this is much better". And then one day I felt really great! Lots of excess energy, and I felt like I was glowing.

That feeling only lasted one day. Since then I've been back to the "Oh, this is much better" condition but have slowly been gaining energy and strength (without exercising). I haven't heard others mention this reaction so I guess it's not common.

I do suggest a good supplement, especially B complex for energy.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Some people thrive on low carb, but a lot of people have trouble with it. See if this resonates with you: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70748.html
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast