Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Eating .... At first I felt GREAT ... but now .... :( page 2

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Simple, not enough calories and or carbs.

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Simple, not enough calories and or carbs.
    This was my first thought as well. Maybe try adding calories or carbs or both. See how you feel...if you still feel like garbage I think blood work should be done.

I'm scared to up the calories or carbs because I am not losing weight - but I will try. Actually I did start adding in more healthy carbs this week in an attempt to feel better (more berries, sweet potatoes etc than usual). I have not been calorie counting - but maybe I should start?

And to answer an earlier question, I do eat regularly through the day - I'm too hungry to skip meals. Here is an example day:

Breakfast: four homemade beef and pork meatballs made with almond flour, grass fed beef, and hot italian sausage with no "weird" additives or sugar added. 1/2 large avocado, 1/2-1cup 2% or full fat greek yogurt.

Lunch: 2 full fat chicken thighs cooked in a curry sauce made from curry powder and full fat coconut milk, carrots and cauliflower. Served with about half a sweet potato.

Snack: Hunk of Brie cheese (sometimes with an apple - not if I had a sweet potato earlier though)

Dinner: Grass Fed Steak with brussel sprouts cooked in coconut oil or steamed greens mixed with grass fed butter.

And sometimes one more snack of berries and cream with stevia as a treat. Or eggs.
    Last edited by mandypandy2246; 03-22-2013 at 02:04 PM.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a good dr? One that is willing to do all the bloodwork, not just a few tests here and there? Your food looks good but maybe upping the carbs some would help. Just based on what I see you are around 50 carbs a day? Are you testing your BG levels? You might do that for a couple of weeks and see if that is a problem. Good luck!! Get the blood work done. And it sounds like you are carrying quite a load between work and school. Could it be stress? Is there a way to alleviate that? What was happening around you during the time you felt so awesome? What different is happening now? Being healthy ain't for sissies It takes some hard work to get there. Don't give up!
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Everyone's different but in my case I suffered occasionally at the beginning if I did a long walk or something similar and didn't get enough carbs. I beleive there is a natural transition period where it isn't wise to deprive yourself of carbs if you are active during any given day. 4 weeks in, I increased my carb intake from natural sources, my personal favorites being bananas, dates and potatoes. This really made a difference for me and gave me a bit more energy that I was lacking. I still use them, although after four months, I'm naturally becoming less reliant on them ,but I'm glad I gave myself this time to transition, and still make sure I get my carbs if I am doing a lot of activity. I also advocate fruit in moderation, I typically eat at least 2 pieces a day, plus as I said the occasional potato or handful of dates, and I'm still loosing weight happily.

Whilst it's possible to become a 100% fat burner and go low carb, you must realize that

a)your body will struggle to do this immediately

b) it isn't really necessary provided you're using natural sources of carbs in moderation - that really is a 100% valid option, (in my experience at least, and allows me to eat spanish omlette, one of my favorite dishes :-) )
    Last edited by Owen; 03-22-2013 at 02:17 PM.

DennyB is online now Senior Member
    When i started paleo i felt great, so my exercise increased. Over time though the same routine became harder and harder. It took a few cheat meals of pizza/subs before I started feeling better and recognized I simply couldn't function with the small amount of carbs I was consuming.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by DennyB; 03-22-2013 at 02:18 PM.

My MD's pretty good - she ordered the standard test (blood count, cholesterol) plus insulin and glucose (I formerly had insulin resistance before the diet!), thyroid, Vit D, Iron. Assuming all this comes back with nothing of note - are there other tests you think I should ask for?

I'm scared to raise the carbs because my weight has plateaued - but it may be worth trying. Frankly I'd rather feel better than lose weight right now.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
    My MD's pretty good - she ordered the standard test (blood count, cholesterol) plus insulin and glucose (I formerly had insulin resistance before the diet!), thyroid, Vit D, Iron. Assuming all this comes back with nothing of note - are there other tests you think I should ask for?

I'm scared to raise the carbs because my weight has plateaued - but it may be worth trying. Frankly I'd rather feel better than lose weight right now.
    Don't worry about plateauing - weight loss is erratic: it comes steadily or in bursts. Often a burst will follow a plateau but people freak out. I think there's some tlk of that on the "Why I love counting calories" thread.

Anyway, if you feel like crap just lower the fat and up your carbs. You could easily swap the hunk of cheese for a potato or some fruit.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Shelly6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
    I am eating whole real foods and low carbs. Generally I eat things like grass fed steak, chicken thighs with skin, free range eggs, and lots of veggies. Minimal fruit, and full fat greek yogurt.

My doctor just retested all my blood work - hopefully I find the results soon.
    I can only speak for myself and am certainly no expert, but I've discovered any "treat" (even if it's "organic" or made with "healthy cane sugar", etc) does the same thing to me as the normal, HFCS wheat laden stuff does. It drains my energy and all I want to do is sleep. It's a bitch, but the only way I feel my absolute best is staying away from those kinds of treats as much as I can. Easier said than done, I know. (As my taste buds change(d), an apple or an orange is/was almost TOO sweet). Best of luck.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I guess the other reason I get scared of carbs is the insulin resistance. But I am 1) still eating way less carbs than I used to before primal and 2) eating healthy wholesome carbs with adequate protein to mute the glycemic impact. I think you all are right - I need to try upping the carbs!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast