Thread: Study Linking Sat. Fats to Hurting HDL Function? page

thehowlmoon is offline Junior Member

Study Linking Sat. Fats to Hurting HDL Function?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just stumbled upon this online... It claims to have linked Sat Fat intake to a decrease in the anti-inflammatory properties of HDL?

Is there anyone here that could shed some light on this and/or explain to me better what they are saying?

American College of Cardiology Foundation | Journal of the American College of Cardiology | Consumption of Saturated Fat Impairs the Anti-Inflammatory Properties of High-Density Lipoproteins and Endothelial Function

nburgraff is offline Member
    Kind of a unique idea for a study but heres what was kind of odd in my opinion. (on a side note, i conduct exercise physiology research, so i may be a little more critical than most people)
    The individuals in the experiment were given a meal that consisted of carrot cake and a milkshake. The milkshake was what differed in the fat content. So in my opinion, this is where the study is flawed. Different fats in the presence of insulin (which would result from the sugar in the cake and the milkshake) have different effects. So this research is really showing that in the presence of insulin caused by high sugar intake, that saturated fat is not all that it is cracked up to be. If we really wanted to see if it was purely from the saturated fat or the unsaturated fat, the subjects should have been given only the fat and not anything else that would alter the effects.
    I also didn't check who funded the research, but if it is coming from the american college of cardiology then you deffnitely want to check who funded the research as this can sway the resluts big time.

cool find, thanks for sharing! Hope that helps

thehowlmoon is offline Junior Member
    Good point. I didn't notice that they were given carrot cake and a milkshake for the study until after I posted this, so I definitely agree with you. Still interesting nonetheless. I wonder why they decided on carrot cake and milkshakes? You would think they would use something a little more "controlled"... As in something that wasn't loaded with sugar. Haha

I wonder if anyone can figure out who funded this?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    IMO it's not a very worthwhile study mainly because the time is too short. It tested only postprandial effects and only twice. That's a really short study.

Many of us have cholesterol test results from before, after 1 or 2 months and after 3 months. It's very, very common to find that it takes at least 2 months for the good results of PB to show up, and that after only 1 month the numbers are worse. Why this is so I don't know, but it is very common.

Therefore, the immediate effect in someone not on PB for at least 3 months is meaningless.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Conclusions Consumption of a saturated fat reduces the anti-inflammatory potential of HDL and impairs arterial endothelial function. In contrast, the anti-inflammatory activity of HDL improves after consumption of polyunsaturated fat. These findings highlight novel mechanisms by which different dietary fatty acids may influence key atherogenic processes.
    Now this may be a bit naive, but how about an alternative interpretation of the results.

Anti inflamatory potential of HDL and reduced endothelial function after consuming saturated fat indicates that saturated fat is anti inflamatory and hence the body downregulates it's anti inflamatory responses, whereas consumption of Polyunsaturated fats are highly inflamatory and cause the body to upregulate it's anti inflamatory defences to protect itself from the damaging nature of poly unsaturated fats.

Therefore one could conclude that saturated fats are less damaging to the body than polyunsaturated fats.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    It was probably funded by the American Assocation to Stop the Cruel Maligning of Noble PUFA... aka the vegetable oil industry.