Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for fat loss stall! page

premier89 is offline Member

Question for fat loss stall!

Shop Now
    I've been primal for 3 months now. Fat loss was on and off due to figuring out which foods I like and calorie intakes. I know everyone is different, but here's a general question for leaning out. Should I lower fat intake, start lifting more, or eat less?

Male
    Age 24
    Height 5"5
    140 pounds, 18% bf
    Goal: under 12% bf

Breakfast: 4 eggs with 2 tbsp coconut oil
    Lunch: 1cup tomatoes, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, and 4 tbsp olive oil
    Dinner: 8 oz grass fed ground beef scrambled with 2 eggs.
    Total calories: 1800-1900
    Macros: fat - 140-150 grams. Protein- 80 grams. Carbs - under 50 grams
    Last edited by premier89; 03-22-2013 at 09:52 AM.

nburgraff is offline Member
    What does your workout regime look like?

40 pushups, 40 weight squats, 5 pullups (i suck at pullups), 30 deadlifts. 3 times a week in the morning

otzi Guest
    This is my recommendation, coming from another guy, who has been where you are and worked it out for myself, with much help from this forum.

Do these things:
    1. Limit alcohol to 1 or 2 drinks a week, or stop altogether, for at least a year.
    2. Absolutely zero wheat, refined sugar, or vegetable oils (foods fried in them, or contained in prepared foods)
    3. Breakfast - skip it every day
    4. Lunch around 11 or 12, eat 1-2 servings of fish/seafood nearly everyday and vegetables, no fruit.
    5. Dinner around 5-7, eat a bunch of meat, 1/2 - 1 pound, beef, chicken, fish, wild game, liver, eggs etc...Also eat a big serving of starch most days, like 2 potatoes, big pile of rice, squash, plantains, etc... no corn or legumes. Eat most starch on days you exercised hardest, on other days, eat starch--just not as much. Have a serving of fruit (or berries better yet) or two if you like, have some nuts (almonds or macas), have some really dark (80-100%) chocolate if you like.
    6. Don't snack outside of meals, drink coffee if you do, drink water when thirsty--don't force it.
    7. Don't count calories or macros, but get an idea of what you can eat to maintain your weight on, then after a month or two, if you are not where you want to be, cut back on something frivolous, like nuts or butter or cheese--not the core stuff like meat, veggies and starch.
    8. Don't add fats for flavor, but don't avoid fats, either. Don't pour olive oil all over your veggies, don't drown your potatoes in butter and sour cream, don't deep fry your chicken in coconut oil.
    9. Take whatever supplements you like, but as a minimum you may want to take Vit D3, 1000-5000IU/day. Most others are just a waste of money and you should be getting all your nutrients through your food.
    10. Exercise - Forget crossfit, you only need 4 exercises: Walk/Sprint, Pushups, Pullups, Squats. Walk a lot every day, sprint a couple spurts a couple times a week. Learn to do good pullups; by the time you can do 20 good ones in a row, you will be lean and muscular. Do as many squats and pushups throughout the day as you can manage to fit into your schedule. 10-25 at a time is a good goal for each, maybe 3-5 times a day.

Eating and exercising like I have outlined becomes very intuitive and it's sustainable. Counting every calorie and aiming for exact macros is not sustainable, as you have found out. Same with exercise, if you eventually become lean and want to get athletic, take up crossfit and weightlifting, but for now, stick to some basic functional stuff you can do every day or at least 3-5 times a week for most.

Good luck!

nburgraff is offline Member
    Hmm, sounds like a pretty solid plan with everything to be honest. Here's what I would try: try one day where you eat more carbs (around 100g or so, maybe a little more), lower the fat for that day to compensate. This will be somewhat of a "glycogen reloading". You may feel somewhat bloated on this day but don't worry, most of that is just retention of water, so don't look at the scale for that day or the day after. Then after that go back to your normal diet (which im guessing you are in ketosis?) and hopefully that will kick the plateau.
    Also try switching up the workout plan if you have been doing the same workout for a long time. It could even be as simple as switching to dips, lunges, supine pull-ups, and RDLs.

Hope that helps, good luck!!! Let me know if it works

(p.s Just to give a little bit of credentials because you probably have no idea who I am, i have lost 150lbs and i'm working toward my PhD in exercise physiology. Here's my website Nick Burgraff | Rantings in health, fitness, nutrition and even performance training)

Thanks guys for responding. So calories are good? I don't have to create a bigger deficit? I tried eating around 1500-1600 for a day and i was pretty hungry by dinner.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by premier89 View Post
    Thanks guys for responding. So calories are good? I don't have to create a bigger deficit? I tried eating around 1500-1600 for a day and i was pretty hungry by dinner.
    You really will be better off getting the notion of 'calories' out of your head. Just eat real food until you are no longer hungry. You may find to lose weight, you may have to get a little hungry between meals. When you find the right combination of foods that keep you full and you can maintain or lose eating them, that is the time to see how many calories is in what you are eating. Aiming for a calorie target will cause you to overeat because subconsciously you will be trying to attain your goal. It is very hard to accurately count calories because of minor differences in real-life counts and advertised counts, ie. steak, beef, trimmed to 1/4" fat = 800 calories, but in real life, this same piece of meat may contain anywhere from 500-1200 calories.

Yea honesty, i just try to stay under 2,000 calories and i have a good feel for how much i'm eating. I try not count calories obsessively, but don't eat mindlessly either. My main concern was calorie intake and fat intake when getting leaner. I felt like i should've upped my protein intake and lower fat intake

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by premier89 View Post
    Yea honesty, i just try to stay under 2,000 calories and i have a good feel for how much i'm eating. I try not count calories obsessively, but don't eat mindlessly either. My main concern was calorie intake and fat intake when getting leaner. I felt like i should've upped my protein intake and lower fat intake
    Sometimes what to do is just to try out what feels right, give it a couple of weeks, and see how it works.

Is 70% of my calories coming from fat too much?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast