Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question for fat loss stall! page 3

otzi Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Heth View Post
    I'm not a guy, but I think otzi is onto something. 6 Tbsp of oil every day is a lot. While I don't think you are overeating calories at all, so much refined food is contributing a lot of almost empty calories. If you swapped some oil for more nutrient-dense foods like more eggs, fish, avocado, meat, cottage cheese etc and even potatoes perhaps you would be getting more nutrients for your calories.
    I know, right? It's like if someone said, "I get 70% of my daily calories from wheat flour', we'd be all over them. Not that fat=wheat flour, but still, oil is a powerhouse of energy--not a nutrient rich food source. Then someone will say, "..But the Inuits..." well, they were also eating a nutrient dense diet of fish heads, seal eyeballs, and caribou testicles, so maybe they could get away with it.

premier89 is offline Member
    You guys do have a point. I can probably replace the olive oil and eat more veggies or add some more protein into the salad

I'm excited to try this tomorrow. If I use vinegar instead of olive oil and eat more vegetables, I'll still have over 1,000 calories to eat for dinner. More ground beef = more protein. I'll be eating less fat, but at least I'll be eating protein that equals my lean muscle mass

Heth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I know, right? It's like if someone said, "I get 70% of my daily calories from wheat flour', we'd be all over them. Not that fat=wheat flour, but still, oil is a powerhouse of energy--not a nutrient rich food source. Then someone will say, "..But the Inuits..." well, they were also eating a nutrient dense diet of fish heads, seal eyeballs, and caribou testicles, so maybe they could get away with it.
    Pretty much! That is a good analogy with the wheat flour, I've always thought that oil is like refined sugar or protein powder - near pure macronutrients/energy. While I don't think it's necessary to shun these foods completely if you don't want to, they certainly aren't worthy of being foundational foods. Something worth noting though is that some fat with your veggies helps you to "process" the veggies' nutrients better, but that could be from meat, eggs, oily fish, avocado, etc, not necessarily oils.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Heth View Post
    Pretty much! That is a good analogy with the wheat flour, I've always thought that oil is like refined sugar or protein powder - near pure macronutrients/energy. While I don't think it's necessary to shun these foods completely if you don't want to, they certainly aren't worthy of being foundational foods. Something worth noting though is that some fat with your veggies helps you to "process" the veggies' nutrients better, but that could be from meat, eggs, oily fish, avocado, etc, not necessarily oils.
    Yep, and I think using fats/oils is fine, like a bit of olive oil on a salad or sauteeing veggies in coconut oil or some sour cream on a potato, but willfully targeting oil just to increase it's place in your macronutrient graph for the day is not needed.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Yep, and I think using fats/oils is fine, like a bit of olive oil on a salad or sauteeing veggies in coconut oil or some sour cream on a potato, but willfully targeting oil just to increase it's place in your macronutrient graph for the day is not needed.
    So no one should set macronutrient targets of any sort? Or are some macronutrient targets acceptable, while others are "willfull"?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    So no one should set macronutrient targets of any sort? Or are some macronutrient targets acceptable, while others are "willfull"?
    That's a tough call to make. I'd hate to make a blanket statement.

At the end of every day, a person not counting anything will have a macro ratio of some sort, whether it be 30-30-40, 80-10-10, whatever, I think just like shooting for a strict daily calorie target, shooting for a strict macro pie chart will lead you to overeat in something 'just to get your macros right'.

Since you are doing the 'tater thang' you may want to consider eating Perfect Health Diet style long term. You don't really count calories or macros, but ensure every day you eat about 1/2 to 1 pound each of quality meat, starch, and fruit/veg. They also have a list of recommended 'supplemental foods' you can eat when you like such as egg yolks, cheese dark chocolate, nuts, etc... And a list of foods to avoid completely (sugar, veg oil, flour).

I have found eating like this, concerning myself more with getting a big portion of meat, starch, and fruit/veg using fat (butter, coconut oil, olive oil) for flavoring and cooking and getting whatever fat happens to be on the meat you eat, is much more intuitive and sustainable than shooting for a macro ratio and finding foods to fill that requirement. If that makes sense.

On PHD, if you find you are gaining, it's easy to dial it down a notch by cutting serving sizes a bit--but not completely eliminating a food just because of it's macronutrient profile. The recommend to lose weight, cut back on added fats first, protein second and starch last, but it is very easy to do once you learn to eyeball a serving size of each.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    At the moment, my concern is that I get enough protein but not too much. I make sure I eat vegetables and some fruit as part of dinner. And I try to have a tablespoon of butter, as I am not eating fatty meat. I also have unsweetened chocolate or cacao beans.

Not eating enough fat will lead to a fat binge, not eating enough protein leads to a protein binge. Not eating enough carbs does not cause me any issues.

I don't agree with the idea that one should mostly add pure fat to their diet to reach a fat % target. But not having a target at all wouldn't work for me.

Yea i agree with both of you. I think it'll be stress free not counting calories/macros, but people like me do better when i plan it out and eat a target amount of each macro. Like today, i made sure i ate over 100 grams of fat and protein and ate the rest with carbs while staying under 2,000 calories.

otzi Guest
    If counting macros and calories keeps you on track, by all means do it! Same as daily weighing--many say not to do it, but I find it eerily comforting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123