Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Meat Grinders page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Electric Meat Grinders

Primal Fuel
    I know it would probably be more primal to have a non-electric, but I want an electric one. Does anyone have recommendations?

I've looked on Amazon, but I always like to get the tribe's opinions also. Thanx in advance.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I have the KitchenAid attachment. It works fairly well, but I think I could find a standalone grinder that would probably work better. For how infrequently I use it, it gets the job done though.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    IF you are going to gring ALOT (more than 10 lb) of meat OFTEN (like monthly etc) an electric one is a good idea. If you are going to do less, then a manual grinder or an attachment to a kitchen aid mixer wtc would do just fine. If you want an electric grinder, look at the Bass Pro Shops website, or Sausage Makers. I have used both places. If your goal is to make sausage, the second site is a better source. They also have fermenting supplies, cheese making supplies etc..... and their prices are pretty reasonable.

otzi Guest
    That's right. Depends on usage. If you are going to grind like a whole cow's worth of burger a year, get a really good electric grinder, 3/4 to 1 hp in size, with reverse and all the sausage stuffing attachments. If you are just grinding like a steak at a time into a couple burgers, get a hand-grinder.

The big ones are too much a pain in the butt to get out, set up, and clean for a small batch. The little ones will kill you trying to grind more than 5 pounds, but are super easy to set up and clean.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the suggestions!

Otzi, I think I'm going to go for one that I can grow into. I'll remember horsepower when I look. I dream of becoming a sausage maker extraordinaire.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

B*tch-lite

otzi Guest
    I think if you want to become an expert sausage maker, you'll want one like this:
    Amazon.com: LEM Products .75 HP Stainless Steel Electric Meat Grinder: Home & Kitchen

The one you linked is a very light duty home model good for small batches and it will be very frustrating to use, clog easily, and jam up if the pieces are too big. The one I linked, you can throw a whole roast and a tennis shoe in and it will grind like crazy.

If you are just getting started, try out the $69 model, and if you like making sausage and grinding meat, consider an upgrade to the bigger model later.

I grind up about 500lbs of moose and several other animals a year, I used hand-grinders for years until I got fed up and bought a big industrial model.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I have this one: Amazon.com: "STX TURBOFORCE 3000 SERIES" - 3 SPEED - 3000 WATT PEAK OUTPUT POWER - ELECTRIC MEAT GRINDER - 3 "STAINLESS STEEL" CUTTING BLADES - 3 "TEMPERED STEEL" GRINDING PLATES - KUBBE/KIBBE ATTACHEMENT & A SET OF 3 SIZES OF SAUSAGE STUFFING TUBES!

It does the trick for the limited amount of time I have used it. The cheap plastic plunger is useless so I had to make a new one on a lathe out of maple.

I have seen something that looked very comparable at our local Costco for <$100

Otzi, yours looks like the bomb.
    Last edited by OneDeltaTenTango; 03-25-2013 at 03:27 PM.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    If you are going to make a bunch of sausage, you need a meat mixer. I have this one, and it makes sausage making a whoooole lot easier;
    TSM 20Lb. Stainless Steel Meat Mixer - The Sausage Maker, Inc.

And you will want a suasage stuffer. I have this one

5Lb. Sausage Stuffer, Cast Iron - The Sausage Maker, Inc.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Otzi, yours looks like the bomb.
    Got it at Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast