Thread: Primal 10K Training page

thebkon Guest

Question Primal 10K Training

Primal Fuel
    Hello, fellow Groks and Grokettes!

I have decided to run in some races this Spring and Summer. I have run on my own on and off for some time now but have only run my first race on April 25th of this year. I ran a 5K in 35:03 (the true 5K time would be ~33:08 because the course was longer than 5K).

I plan on running 5 more races with the finally coming at the end of August with a 10K run at the Edmonton Marathon. (You can check out more here... http://the-bearsden.blogspot.com/201...ject-b37k.html).

What do other primal runner use nutrition wise as fuel for races, if anything? How much should I be running per week to achieve my goal? Right now, I am planning on a schedule like the following:

Monday: Tabata Push
    Tuesday: 30min Run
    Wednesday: Tabata Pull
    Thursday: 40min Run
    Friday: Hockey
    Saturday: Yoga
    Sunday: 5K

Thursday and Sunday totals will increase as time goes on.

What do you think? Any advice?

thebkon Guest
    *bumpity!*

mstrudle is offline Member
    There isn't any speedwork, explosivity, or weight training in your routine. Your 5K, to be honest, is very slow, and I am sure you want to bump up that time. So, you need to work on your speed, explosivity, and strength.

For speed, sprint. But don't do Tabatas, they are only good for endurance and will make you slow. World-class sprinters do a single sprint, get full rest, and then do it again; that way they can concentrate maximal effort on speed rather than pain tolerance, which you probably already have if you enjoy running 5K races. Accelerate for up to 50 meters, hold top speed for 10 meters, and then decelerate gradually to complete a full 100m stretch. Rest fully, which is up to ten minutes, and then do it again. Do it until you notice even a slight dropoff in performance, then cease. For warmup, do high knee skips, grapevine runs, 30-40m strides at top speed, and high knee fast feet (to get an idea of what this looks like, you just do high knees as quickly as possible, and should only be moving forward at a slow walking pace; keep chest up).

For explosivity, increase your vertical jump. If you have access to plyo boxes, great, use those. If not, find something around waist height and jump onto it 10 times for three sets or so.

For strength, deadlift, but do it for strength. Low reps at high weight for a couple sets every day of the week will do you well. You can do explosivity training in between your deadlift sets.

Here is a routine I would follow for training:
    Mon: Weight training w/explosivity, have several hours of rest, then do your speed training
    Tues: Weight training w/o explosivity, then a recovery run. Since you will be doing a 10k, run at your desired 10k pace for several miles.
    Wed: Weight training w/explosivity, have several hours of rest, then do your speed training
    Thurs: Weight training w/o explosivity, then a recovery run. Since you will be doing a 10k, run at your desired 10k pace for several miles.
    Fri: Weight training w/explosivity, have several hours of rest, then do your speed training
    Sat: Desired low intensity exercise
    Sun: Rest, or desired low intensity exercise.

This is the routine I have followed to increase my speed (albeit for a shorter, half-mile race), as I already had endurance from running 5Ks. My 400m time has decreased from 71 to 63 seconds in two weeks of training.

thebkon Guest
    Yeah, I do currently do nor do I plan on doing Tabata runs. However, I have been doing a 2-day push/pull split to a Tabata schedule. I pick 4 push moves (push up, shoulder press, tricep dip and lets say a medicine ball press) and I devote 8 tabatas (20 work, 10 rest) to each.

Yes, I know, my 5K time is not lightning nor is that what I am shooting for. I am not trying to beat out the carb loaded string beans just yet. I am trying to constantly improve my performance over time and use the race training as a tool to help lose weight. I am a big guy (6'2", 280lbs) and my time in the latest 5K races is 3+ minutes better than my best time until then.

I know I need to do more plyo even though it kills my legs! This is something that I truly need to work on. I know I have it in me (was able to really run and not just endurance pace for the final 200 meters in the race to finish ahead of 4 people in front of me).

I really am looking for something that I could do in my condo (enough space, no money for a gym membership) for the strength training. That is why tabata intervals work for me.

What if I do the following?
    Monday: Tabata Pull + Sprint (Either back to back with a little rest or AM+PM) *anaerobic*
    Tuesday: 30min Run *aerobic*
    Wednesday: Tabata Pull + Plyo[possibly tabata'd] (Either back to back with a little rest or AM+PM) *anaerobic*
    Thursday: 40min Run *aerobic*
    Friday: Hockey *anaerobic*
    Saturday: Yoga *relax*
    Sunday: 5K (timed) *Test and record*

DidNothingFatal is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about food for a 10k run, just eat a couple hours before the race and you'll be fine. When I want to build speed training into my running programme I run as fast as possible for sets up the steepest local hill, I use the downhill run for leg work and recovery If you need inspiration for running try and find a copy of Indulgence by Anton Krupricka.
    Give them nothing! But, take from them everything!

Ry
    Ry is offline Member
    I would suggest doing:
    a day of hill sprints, 8ish at a very high intensity with full recovery.
    a day of medium/long intervals, 400m-1000m at a pretty fast pace (faster than your 10k pace), aim for ~2 miles of total intervals.
    an easy running day of 20-30 min at a very comfortable pace
    a long running day starting at 45-50 min and increasing every week, also at a very comfortable pace

I think you the rest of your training should be what you enjoy, keep doing some tabata weights if you like, keep playing hockey, etc. Also I would add some leg strength exercises to your tabata routines, stuff like lunges, side lunges, squats. Another thing I would do is keep your hard workouts confined to a maximum three days a week, that probably means a day or two when you would both lift and run.

mstrudle is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebkon View Post
    Yes, I know, my 5K time is not lightning nor is that what I am shooting for. I am not trying to beat out the carb loaded string beans just yet. I am trying to constantly improve my performance over time and use the race training as a tool to help lose weight. I am a big guy (6'2", 280lbs) and my time in the latest 5K races is 3+ minutes better than my best time until then.

I really am looking for something that I could do in my condo (enough space, no money for a gym membership) for the strength training. That is why tabata intervals work for me.

What if I do the following?
    Monday: Tabata Pull + Sprint (Either back to back with a little rest or AM+PM) *anaerobic*
    Wednesday: Tabata Pull + Plyo[possibly tabata'd] (Either back to back with a little rest or AM+PM) *anaerobic*
    Friday: Hockey *anaerobic*
    The faster you run the fitter you are, so why not try and one up the strung out carbheads? It would be hilarious to see their faces if you told them your diet afterwards. If you really want to burn fat, start doing the Stubborn Fat Loss Protocol (SFP) by McDonald for good results, which is anaerobic HIIT-type cardio followed by low-and-slow cardio; I've done it before and it works pretty well.

You know, you can get a 300lb olympic weight set for less than $150 on craigslist, or even for free if you look around. All you need is a barbell and weight to deadlift and overhead press. If even that is too much try and make your workouts as high-intensity as possible in regards to weight. Instead of regular squats, do single leg squats or explosive squat jumps (this second one would take care of the plyo box problem as well), and single-arm pushups instead of regular pushups. This will stimulate the most muscle fibers and increase strength rather than endurance and pain tolerance (like Tabatas).

If you don't want to change your workout, here is something more tailored to your situation:
    Monday: Tabata Pull, Plyo work + Sprint (AM/PM)
    Wednesday: Tabata Pull, Plyo work + Sprint (AM/PM)
    Friday: Tabata Pull, Plyo work + Sprint (AM/PM)

If you only do the anaerobic stuff twice a week as in your sample, do it Monday/Thursday instead of Monday/Wednesday.

Also, do you have racing flats? Much as I like my Vibrams, you will be faster with flats than Vibrams or regular shoes.