Thread: Processing Toxins page

goneprimal is offline Member

Processing Toxins

Primal Fuel
    Hi Forum,

I am exposed to acceptable but significant levels of benzene, toluene, and other chemicals in my workplace.

When your liver metabolizes Benzene, the metabolites themselves cause problems in your blood and long term heavy exposure results in leukemia and other ill effects.

Are there any supplements, or foods, or other paleo-approved methods to enable your body to detox more efficiently?

I work 12 hour shifts, but will try to work up a sweat and shower after each shift.

My sweaty armpits smell like petroleum...

Not looking for advice on career choice nor fossil fuel ideology.
    Last edited by goneprimal; 03-21-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: grammar

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    yikes, what do you do?

i've read that certain chlorophyll rich plants, like spirulina, are good for detoxing from heavy metals, but not sure about these things. what does google say?

i only skimmed this ( and skipped the colon cleansing part), but maybe start here:

Cleansing & Detoxification
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    My mister was exposed to a lot of nasty chemicals in the line of his work in the past, and he takes a milk thistle supplement as it's supposed to be beneficial for liver health. He takes a 250mg capsule once a day and says he can feel a difference in his energy levels and just overall feeling of wellbeing when he misses taking it for more than a few days.

suzyq is offline Junior Member
    I second the milk thistle for helping out your liver and Burdock Root caps will help flush you out also. This might be TMI but if you go with the burdock root your pee will be weird the first couple days, then it should go back to normal as you get cleaned out.

goneprimal is offline Member
    Thanks guys, I'll do some research. I took some milk thistle years ago and it definitely seemed to prevent hangovers.

Paleo-MotorcycleMama is offline Junior Member
    Didn't know about the milk thistle! But, Goneprimal, BE CAREFUL!
    When I was an art student I had kidney failure, a week in hospital, and years of aftereffects from benzene and tolulene. Don't know what other chemicals were involved. A local company donated a bunch of screen printing inks used for printing circuit boards and other stuff, we didn't have the correct saftey information, adequate air filtration, etc. Also, I was exposed to some really nasty stuff from etching titanium, so I don't know what chemical soup I got into exactly, but I was one sick puppy. For many years I struggled with ever- changing diagnoses... MS, Lyme disease, Lupus, etc. etc. and it definitely triggered worsening of my rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. There is a drybrush forum somewhere here in odds and ends, and I found that helped rid me of some toxins. I would smell like chemical fumes before dry brush/shower and not afterwards. A shower alone didn't help any.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo-MotorcycleMama View Post
    Didn't know about the milk thistle! But, Goneprimal, BE CAREFUL!
    When I was an art student I had kidney failure, a week in hospital, and years of aftereffects from benzene and tolulene. Don't know what other chemicals were involved. A local company donated a bunch of screen printing inks used for printing circuit boards and other stuff, we didn't have the correct saftey information, adequate air filtration, etc. Also, I was exposed to some really nasty stuff from etching titanium, so I don't know what chemical soup I got into exactly, but I was one sick puppy. For many years I struggled with ever- changing diagnoses... MS, Lyme disease, Lupus, etc. etc. and it definitely triggered worsening of my rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. There is a drybrush forum somewhere here in odds and ends, and I found that helped rid me of some toxins. I would smell like chemical fumes before dry brush/shower and not afterwards. A shower alone didn't help any.
    Infrared saunas are the best things for detox. Infrared though, not the steam saunas...