Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey, what's the real deal here?

Hybrid View

Whiskey, what's the real deal here?

Greetings everyone,

I've seen conflicting information; some saying all alcohol is essentially carb/sugar, while some saying whiskey and such are no-carb (in the sense we are concerned about).

1) Do distilled liquors count as carbs?
    2) Do they have any insulin spiking effects?
    2) Can they throw you out of ketosis?

Basically I have to drink for my work, so researching what is the best way to go about said activity.

Thanks.

1) Some count them as carbs, others no.
    2) No idea.
    3) I got thrown out of ketosis by spirits one night.

One thing I don't drink is whiskey. I only drink spirits that are non-grain based, as I must be gluten-free. I have found some to be inflammatory.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    3) I got thrown out of ketosis by spirits one night.
    When I read that I thought you had been to a haunted nightclub.

I've stuck to rum and whisky and its not affected my weight loss (neither has the occasional Guinness) but I only drink on a Friday evening or Saturday night. I've noticed my tolerance to alcohol has reduced as I've lost weight so maybe that's got something to do with it (I'm not drinking a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by thedoglett View Post
    When I read that I thought you had been to a haunted nightclub.

I've stuck to rum and whisky and its not affected my weight loss (neither has the occasional Guinness) but I only drink on a Friday evening or Saturday night. I've noticed my tolerance to alcohol has reduced as I've lost weight so maybe that's got something to do with it (I'm not drinking a lot).
    The smaller you are, the faster alcohol is to take effect on you. It's not a linear corellation (I know a couple of very big guys who can't hold their alcohol at ALL), but it's pretty much true that smaller folks feel the effects sooner.

That also means fewer calories ingested by the end of the night.

Wait, so you have to drink for work!? Are you hiring? I think you might have my dream job

Quote Originally Posted by KV8R View Post
    Wait, so you have to drink for work!? Are you hiring? I think you might have my dream job
    I know, right?

Well, I work "front office" in the financial investment world, in Northeast Asia. Deals here are closed over drinking and scantily clad women (sorry, being blunt). Samsung actually passed a rule last year that employees are no longer forced to drink, I believe. But nobody takes it seriously. The reality...when closing deals with Koreans or Japanese "no drinkie = no deal!".

Haha, Koreans are actually the heaviest drinkers of spirits in the world, so I should have no trouble finding keto-friendly drinks. These people are truly "professional drinkers", never seen anything like it...

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    I know, right?

Well, I work "front office" in the financial investment world, in Northeast Asia. Deals here are closed over drinking and scantily clad women (sorry, being blunt). Samsung actually passed a rule last year that employees are no longer forced to drink, I believe. But nobody takes it seriously. The reality...when closing deals with Koreans or Japanese "no drinkie = no deal!".

Haha, Koreans are actually the heaviest drinkers of spirits in the world, so I should have no trouble finding keto-friendly drinks. These people are truly "professional drinkers", never seen anything like it...
    gosh!

how do people work the next day?

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    gosh!

Yeah, that's another story. They are masters of acting normal in the office, like nothing happened the night before haha, then at 6PM they go do it again! Korea has the highest per capita consumption of spirits in the world!

Anyhow, I'm going to try a single malt - they sell Macallan here.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    gosh!

I once read a funny line that basically stated that if you got rid of every functional drunk in the financial sector, there'd only be three aging bond sellers left. (Okay, that doesn't look as funny as it is in my head.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I once read a funny line that basically stated that if you got rid of every functional drunk in the financial sector, there'd only be three aging bond sellers left.
    Naw, I've been in the industry my whole life, it's mostly just a few guys on the street working 90hr weeks who are raging coke-heads or chugging whisky for lunch. But if you got rid of every functional drunk in Korea there wouldn't be a country left.

It's a way of life!