Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey, what's the real deal here? page 3

miata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Oh how I miss beer SO freaking much. If I could submerge myself in a nice, creamy Guinness right now I would be in heaven.

Interesting to hear this about hard alcohol. So, you're saying whiskey and the like are actually gluten free? So, I can take back my Jameson shots? I mean, occasionally, of course
    I think it might be OK to drink a beer or two after a hard workout -- you know restore those glycogen reserves. I remember reading in some cycling magazine that beer was the perfect recovery drink. That was the only thing I remember reading from any of those magazines:-)

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Due to my location, and armed with this information, I now wonder if I should consider soju as my backup plan. It is actually classified as a distilled liquor, although I'd never really thought of it as such. I believe there are some sugars added though which isn't great. It truly tastes like butt, but it could be a better than beer in a pinch.
    I don't mind a bit of soju. Much better than Chinese rice spirit. I think it has to be better than beer
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    I know, right?

Well, I work "front office" in the financial investment world, in Northeast Asia. Deals here are closed over drinking and scantily clad women (sorry, being blunt). Samsung actually passed a rule last year that employees are no longer forced to drink, I believe. But nobody takes it seriously. The reality...when closing deals with Koreans or Japanese "no drinkie = no deal!".

Haha, Koreans are actually the heaviest drinkers of spirits in the world, so I should have no trouble finding keto-friendly drinks. These people are truly "professional drinkers", never seen anything like it...
    gosh!

how do people work the next day?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I think it might be OK to drink a beer or two after a hard workout -- you know restore those glycogen reserves. I remember reading in some cycling magazine that beer was the perfect recovery drink. That was the only thing I remember reading from any of those magazines:-)
    Yes, beer can be used as a recovery drink and with good results! Arnold Schwarzenegger used to eat a whole grilled chicken and swallow it down with a six pack of beer post-workout, to recover from his gruelling workouts...

miata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yes, beer can be used as a recovery drink and with good results! Arnold Schwarzenegger used to eat a whole grilled chicken and swallow it down with a six pack of beer post-workout, to recover from his gruelling workouts...
    Wish I would have known that earlier -- been limiting myself to no more than two beers. I'm doing a 6 hour bike ride tomorrow. Sounds like I need to stick a 6-pack in the frig before I take off.

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Does the consumption of alchol though retain water? I know a person is thirsty the next day, but does it store in the body?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Here's a pretty good article on alcohol as a diuretic: Why does alcohol make me pee more?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    gosh!

Yeah, that's another story. They are masters of acting normal in the office, like nothing happened the night before haha, then at 6PM they go do it again! Korea has the highest per capita consumption of spirits in the world!

Anyhow, I'm going to try a single malt - they sell Macallan here.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoglett View Post
    When I read that I thought you had been to a haunted nightclub.

I've stuck to rum and whisky and its not affected my weight loss (neither has the occasional Guinness) but I only drink on a Friday evening or Saturday night. I've noticed my tolerance to alcohol has reduced as I've lost weight so maybe that's got something to do with it (I'm not drinking a lot).
    The smaller you are, the faster alcohol is to take effect on you. It's not a linear corellation (I know a couple of very big guys who can't hold their alcohol at ALL), but it's pretty much true that smaller folks feel the effects sooner.

That also means fewer calories ingested by the end of the night.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    gosh!

I once read a funny line that basically stated that if you got rid of every functional drunk in the financial sector, there'd only be three aging bond sellers left. (Okay, that doesn't look as funny as it is in my head.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast