Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey, what's the real deal here? page 2

krsn89 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post

2) Can they throw you out of ketosis?
    My understanding of the alcohol & ketosis issue was that the liver can make ketones out of alcohol, but it will burn the alcohol preferentially before burning fat again. So you kind of stall in a sense. I forgot where I read this so I could be wrong. From my own experience, wine has kicked me out of ketosis but my usual vodka & soda drinks have not. It's probably something to do with the sugar content and/or because when I drink wine, I drink the whole bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Interesting to hear this about hard alcohol. So, you're saying whiskey and the like are actually gluten free? So, I can take back my Jameson shots? I mean, occasionally, of course
    I was wondering about this too. I always assumed vodka and the like would be gluten free, but I have seen vodka bottles at my liquor store that are specifically labelled as "gluten-free" and ones that aren't, so I'm not sure if manufacturers are just stating the obvious or there is actually gluten in spirits.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    [I was wondering about this too. I always assumed vodka and the like would be gluten free, but I have seen vodka bottles at my liquor store that are specifically labelled as "gluten-free" and ones that aren't, so I'm not sure if manufacturers are just stating the obvious or there is actually gluten in spirits.[/QUOTE]

I think this is marketing strategy.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for shedding some light on this confusing issue everyone.

To summarize, it sounds like there are actually four categories: alcohol, carbs, fat, protein. And the body more or less burns them for fuel in that order. Things like whiskey won't necessarily throw you out of ketosis, in fact may even deepen it, BUT all other calorie burning will cease while the alcohol is present. It follows that if you chow-down all night while drinking you could get fat, because your body is busy processing the alcohol, while the food gets stored for later. Insulin spike unknown.

It looks like I just became a drinker of quality whiskey.

Due to my location, and armed with this information, I now wonder if I should consider soju as my backup plan. It is actually classified as a distilled liquor, although I'd never really thought of it as such. I believe there are some sugars added though which isn't great. It truly tastes like butt, but it could be a better than beer in a pinch.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    Oh and by the time alcohol is distilled from the mash, the mash no longer has any bearing on the product. In other words, the source material (corn, potatoes, wheat, whatever) is completely gone and only alcohol remains. That's the magic of distillation.
    You can say that, but I react. In fact, the color and flavor in whiskey comes from adding back a controlled amount of the mash. So how could it then be gluten-free?

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KV8R View Post
    Wait, so you have to drink for work!? Are you hiring? I think you might have my dream job
    I know, right?

Well, I work "front office" in the financial investment world, in Northeast Asia. Deals here are closed over drinking and scantily clad women (sorry, being blunt). Samsung actually passed a rule last year that employees are no longer forced to drink, I believe. But nobody takes it seriously. The reality...when closing deals with Koreans or Japanese "no drinkie = no deal!".

Haha, Koreans are actually the heaviest drinkers of spirits in the world, so I should have no trouble finding keto-friendly drinks. These people are truly "professional drinkers", never seen anything like it...

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    My experience from testing out drinks while in ketosis last month was that liquors (mostly whiskey, vodka, gin) would not bump me out of ketosis.

PBNewby is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You can say that, but I react. In fact, the color and flavor in whiskey comes from adding back a controlled amount of the mash. So how could it then be gluten-free?
    I think you answered your own question...

...they add it back...

The OP point was that distilled alcohol has no gluten. If the vendor adds back some mash to the distilled alcohol, then yeah, it may well have gluten.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Here's what Mark has to say...

Definitive Guide to Alcohol on a Low Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple

Is Alcohol Good or Bad For Health? | Mark's Daily Apple

Personally, I think the occasional beer now and then isn't gonna kill anyone (except maybe a celiac sufferer). If you're craving one, better to satisfy the craving than keep jonesing forever and envying people who are "allowed" to drink beer. Hard alcohol has never agreed with me, so I mostly stick to wine, beer here and there.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBNewby View Post
    I think you answered your own question...

...they add it back...

The OP point was that distilled alcohol has no gluten. If the vendor adds back some mash to the distilled alcohol, then yeah, it may well have gluten.
    I don't drink whiskey. But I have reacted consistently to several brands of vodka, which shouldn't have been contaminated.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I'll do a quick check in some whiskey books I have here, but I've NEVER heard of this practice with Kentucky Bourbon, which is my preference. The color for that kind comes from the charring on the inside of the barrel. No adding back in mash. Other whiskeys may not be made this way, but Kentucky bourbon is. Alcohol is distilled to a specific proof range and then barreled. The mash is discarded. So maybe Kentucky bourbon could be the thing for you. I probably should have specified when I first posted.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast