Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone eat ground beef on a regular basis?? page 2

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    We eat it regularly, too; it's really versatile and convenient, and usually one of the cheapest muscle meats available at the farmer's market.

My favorite recipe is to cook ground beef with sauteed onions and some salt...just when it's close to being ready, add a glass of red wine and let it cook down.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    My favorite recipe is to cook ground beef with sauteed onions and some salt...just when it's close to being ready, add a glass of red wine and let it cook down.
    Wow, I'm going to have to try that.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Once a week probably, also love how easy it is to mash in onions, etc.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Phillykid is offline Senior Member
    Red wine..i'm going to have to try that too. Last night, i scrambled ground beef and eggs with roasted peppers

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    we eat it too, and i would be happy to pretty much never eat chicken again. we get 85/15 and it's very satisfying, and yeah, can be cooked up all sorts of ways.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Usually got about 50lbs of it in the freezer ready to rock. My 3 year old basically will only eat meat in "burger form" so we have ground everything for him. For me ground beef is good for a quick meal of anything. I get the fattiest they sell and go on. US Wellness has has 75/25 I believe. Yummmmmmm

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Usually got about 50lbs of it in the freezer ready to rock. My 3 year old basically will only eat meat in "burger form" so we have ground everything for him. For me ground beef is good for a quick meal of anything. I get the fattiest they sell and go on. US Wellness has has 75/25 I believe. Yummmmmmm
    They have a "petburger" in the dogfood section that is 65/35 for 90% of the product plus it includes 5%liver and 5%heart. So that is about 75/25 for the whole thing. It is all human quality processing but, because of the high fat content , they have to label it "for pet consumption only". A good way to sneak some offal in for squeamish family members. Just don't tell them and they would never know.

It's also really cheap. And yummy.

Don't tell my dog or I'd have to share.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Hubby and I eat ground beef from the grass-fed half cow we bought. We usually eat it 2 or 3 times a week. Some variations that we like:

"Flavored" hamburgers. Hubby's favorite is "Swedish meatball" hamburgers. I use the same seasonings that I do for Swedish meatballs, but I mix it up and form it into patties and he throws them on the grill. The same works with Italian seasoning, curry seasoning, "Hawaiian" seasoning (pineapple and peppers finely chopped and mixed in), "Southwest" seasoning (finely chopped hot peppers and onions)... use your imagination.

Another hamburger favorite is "surprise" burgers. Make two thin patties, put your food of choice in between them and seal up the edges, then grill. Inside... bacon and cheese. Sliced tomatoes. Mushrooms. Apple slices. (Hey, I did say "surprise"!)

Other ideas:
    Stroganoff.
    Chili.
    Stir-fry.
    Browned with curry sauce.
    Fried and mixed in with scrambled eggs.
    Soup (great with leftover veg from other meals).
    Sloppy Joes.
    Meat 'n cheese (like mac 'n cheese but with meat, and good quality cheese).
    Spaghetti (with spaghetti squash as the "pasta").
    Stuffed peppers.
    Meatloaf.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I've never seen Mark say to avoid 100% grass-fed ground beef.... and I probably wouldn't avoid it even if I had... it's half the price per pound of most of the other grass-fed cuts! The fattier stuff is cheaper, too, and the fat is one big reason I'm getting the grass-fed, right? (now if I could just get whole foods to stop cutting the FAT off all of the lovely local grass-fed briskets... *sigh*)

I like to fry up a pound at a time as "emergency protein" - season with salt, pepper, garlic, garam masala or chinese five spice, or cumin, or... whatever tickles your fancy at the moment - keep covered in the fridge to be eaten when you need something in your stomach NAO! - and/or eat later in the week.

We also make delicious burgers - fold some salt, pepper, chopped garlic and onion into the meat, sometimes we stuff with grass-fed cheese, which oozes out when you cut into the burger... *drool* - Serve over a bed of baby spinach or arugula, maybe a side of brussels sprouts w/ bacon and/or a sweet potato?

I haven't made a grass-fed meatloaf, but... that can't be far behind. I used to make atkins meatloaf muffins, I should pull that recipe out again (I believe it contained a lot of cheese, eggs, some onions, and some worcestershire sauce...) - those were great to grab and go!

waterjen is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Since I'm cooking for one, I usually try to batch and freeze. And ground beef works well for me. I'll mix up a batch of meatloaf and bake 2 servings immediately and form the remainder into little meatballs or burger shapes to freeze for small servings later. They're small, so they cook up fast in the oven for those emergency dinners when you need food in your stomach in 20 minutes flat. Plus, they don't feel at all like leftovers because they're not meat loaf again and there has been quite some delay between the meatloaf and the later serving... Plus, I have about 12 meatloaf and meatball recipes I rotate, so I rarely have the same recipe in a four-month period.

Sometimes, I just brown it and mix with veggies.

The brown it with onions and add red wine and cook it down idea sounds like something worth trying!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast