Thread: Just Diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease page

smithfamily99 is offline Junior Member

Just Diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease

Primal Fuel
    I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease. Does anyone here adhere to paleo and have this condition. I start 25mg of Synthroid tomorrow. I've been doing paleo for the last 8 weeks or so and love it, but haven't seen any movement on the scale. I'm not sure how to navigate this diagnosis with paleo. Any advice would be so helpful!

Thanks!
    Molly

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Find a functional medicine doctor to work with. Or do autoimmune paleo rx on your own for a few months before retesting. Gotta get the autoimmune process under control to the best of your abilities. Otherwise your are quite likely in for a lifetime of steadily increasing synthroid dose.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    There is a strong corrolation between Hashimoto's and Coeliac disease, so one of the first things would be aware that you may be sensitive to Gluten, now going Paleo and cutting out grains and processed food is a good step, in addition to that it is likely that other potential allergens like Casein from Dairy and maybe just limiting Nightshades a little bit.

Find a good forum specific to thyroid, they can help you with thyroxine dosage and typical symptoms.
    The Forum below is very active in regards to Hypothyroid, as my partner is Hyperthyroid there are other forums I have been more active in.
    realthyroidhelp.com • Index page

In addition to that look to improving your stress management and be aware that it may also be beneficial to minimise your exposure to environmental toxins eg through household cleaning products etc. and have a good look at personal care products, your skin is very permeable and you want to minimise absorption of unnecesary chemicals, there is a raft of chemicals loaded in these products even if they are marked as "Natural", Gluten may also be hidden in many of these products and just termed something like peptides.

Take care of yourself and don't overreach physically, mentally or emotionally, reduce superfluous external commitments and dedicate more time to healing your body.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I, too, have Hashimoto's, and my advice is to find a good physician to monitor your thyroid (can be endo but often internists or primary doctors are good, too) and build a relationship because this is a condition you will have for the rest of your life. Lab values only tell part of the story, and that's why you want to have a good relationship with your doctor because your symptoms will be a factor as well, and you want a doctor who will trust your reports and with whom you can partner in your treatment.

Beware of Internet 'info' about thyroid. There's a lot of misinformation and hysteria on the Internet.

Your 25mg of Synthroid is a very low dose and that's because our bodies have to adjust to incoming hormones. Don't be surprised if your doctor increases the dosage in a few months. I began at 25 mcg, but I actually needed 75 mcg, and my doctor slowly raised to dosage until I could tolerate that level.

Eating whole, unproccessed foods is the best thing you can do for your body in general. I've never felt better than since eating Primally.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Did they actually test you for antibodies, or did they "diagnose" you based on TSH and Free T4 numbers off a standard blood panel? Everything that's been said so far is true, and if you want a reliable and trustworthy source of information, Chris Kresser has a phenomenal series that you can find starting here: Thyroid Disorders

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Beware of Internet 'info' about thyroid. There's a lot of misinformation and hysteria on the Internet.
    Although I agree with your other comments, I have to question this one, it is very true, but I often get that type of comment when i am on particular forums and presenting different views and opinions, somehow people seem to forget that they are posting this comment on the internet and that their comment somehow excludes the particular site they are on.

I usually add to go and seek out all the information available and then make an informed decision, this site is no better than any other, but there is useful information if you are prepared to spend some time filtering through it.

Re doctors, if you can get a good one, then great, but in my experience there are very few who are good at managing thyroid conditions, that's not to say that they're bad people, just their knowledge and experience is limited by the guidelines and protocols they use, hence why there is such a proliferation of internet discussion groups trying to deal with conditions that their doctors have failed to treat properly.

The doctor is only one component of your healing process, you need to be as informed as you can so you are well equipped to ask your doctor the right questions and sometimes challenge them.

One strategy I reccomend is having a second support person come with you to appointments, like a PA, just the mere fact of having two people infront of them helps to balance the power balance in the room more in your favour and minimises the risk you will be pushed around by the doctor because they feel they are in charge, it's your health and you should be the one making all the decisions, everything else from doctors to internet discussions is just information to help you make informed decisions.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have Hashi's, as do a lot of women in my family, it's a tricky one as there are varying levels of complication. My mum got Hashi's after her first baby, and has been on synthroid (or the Australian equivalent) for say, 35 years now? Her dose hasn't been 'ever increasing', rather it has been steady, and she has had no further problems.

I was diagnosed with Hashi's about two years ago, and it has been struggle street. I think I was my own worst enemy - I was struggling to lose weight, and excessive exercise, chronic low calories, wedding stress + uni stress I think were the perfect storm for thyroid resistance. My usual GP didn't know what to do, and the endo he referred me to was condescending and completely ignored my symptoms (weight gain, fatigue, yellow hands etc). I had to do my own research and find a doctor in the nearest capital city, paying through the nose of course, but she listened to me. It then took at least another 7 months of slowly tweaking the meds (first natural t3/t4 combo, then t3 only slow release, then cytomel) to finally find something that worked for me. I have energy again, I am thinking clearly again, and I am finally, SLOWLY, starting to lose weight.

Changing my diet NEVER worked for me, in terms of clearing up my thryoid issues.

I was tested for coeliac and am clear, but the other advice to get tested is sound, as the two often go together, and the absorption issues from the coeliac can interfere with some thyroid meds.

Good luck! And don't start panicking straight away. As i said, for my mum, the first treatment worked really well and sorted all her problems. You need to give it a few months to start working before you start tweaking.