Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you eat butter? page 8

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I still disagree. It's quite nutrient dense. In fact when evaluated in terms of nutrition/gram it blows many fruits and some vegetables right out of the water!

It just so happens that it is also quite calorically dense as well. It will be up to you to decide if this is good or bad for your current goals.

But yeah, we know butter is just cream shaken up real good.... so its obviously not the same as HFCS or sugar which undergo vast mechanical and chemical manipulation to reach their highly refined state.
    My baseline judge is nutrition per calorie. Butter contains very little water content compared to fruits, vegetables and meats. The only fair way is by calorie, and while butter is nutritious vs other fats, it isn't nutritious compared to whole foods.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I'm surrounded by people that blend half a stick of butter in their coffee and eat it by the slice and wonder why they can't seem to lose weight.
    Good lord, where are you hanging out...

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I cook with butter.... but I get what Choco is saying. If you are on a diet with limited calories and trying to create a nutrient diverse and dense diet, it makes little sense to just eat butter for the hell of it, just like it is pointless to drink maple syrup.

Butter is awesome as a condiment, but as a meal there are probably better things to put in your body than 500 calories worth of butter melted in some coffee. Like a couple eggs scrambled in some butter with some brocolli. Or chicken and a sweet potato with a pat of butter.

You know, if you are on say, Mt Everest and just flat out need palatable calories, by all means, a fatty cup of coffee is awesome. Just like eating "energy gel" is awesome for an Ironman triathlete.

I gotta agree with Choco.
    Yes, exactly my point. When you're a competition mountain climber that needs to consume 5,000 calories a day, butter is probably a fantastic steady energy source. MCT's, SFA's, almost no PUFA and compared to Gatorade...well...it's way more nutritious and healthy. But it isn't appropriate for a 45 year old woman sitting at a desk all day who wants to lose weight.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Repent and do repentance! - and to save your lost paleo soul you must now drink a large cup of Bulletproof coffee loaded with one stick of butter as a holy sacrament…
    I wondered why this thread was getting so much mileage....

now I know!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I don't get it. Why not put molasses in your coffee instead?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Molasses
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Butter, without salt

It's way more nutritious. Butter can't even compare. If we're eating butter, why not drink maple syrup? It's more nutritious per calorie. I mean we're all extremists here, right? Eating butter, drinking syrup, etc.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Syrups, maple

Have you actually researched the nutritional content of these things? If you actually research your ignorant comment above, you'd see maple syrup and molasses actually are SUPERIOR to butter nutritionally per calorie.
    No, I haven't studied the nutritional content of maple syrup. I know instinctively it has a fuckton of sugar in it, so obviously I am not going to put 3-4 tablespoons of the shit into a coffee. Looking at your link that's 36-48 grams of sugar.

You're honestly going to tell me that 400 calories of butter in a cup of coffee is the same thing as drinking 400 calories worth of milk and maple syrup in it?

My point is that all this nonsense is stupid. Butter, maple syrup, honey, salt - they're all in the same category. They are toppings and cooking tools/additives, not foods that should be consumed on their own. If you eat slices of butter, you must also be okay with eating tablespoons of honey. It's the same principle. To say butter is okay to eat by itself and deny the same to honey, maple syrup and molasses isn't logical.
    That's not true. Your argument is not in context.

Is butter unhealthy? No. It's one of the healthiest fats on planet Earth, and my goto fat of choice for cooking (well, technically ghee, but same composition).

Butter is also one of the most nutrient-dense fats on planet Earth as well. Compare it to coconut oil, lard, tallow...they are healthy fats as well, and butter beats them.
    So you think butter is one of the healthiest fats on planet earth, but if I put it in my coffee it becomes the equivalent of maple syrup?

I have a tablespoon or two in coffee once in a while. I didn't think adding one of the healthiest fats around while I'm rendering myself a cup of coffee would be such a crime against nature. I'm eating something you eat, just in a different way, so it might as well be a handful of sugar?

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I'm surrounded by people that don't grasp that simple message. I'm surrounded by people that blend half a stick of butter in their coffee and eat it by the slice and wonder why they can't seem to lose weight. And these same people would be horrified at someone putting one single 16 calorie packet of white sugar in my coffee.
    To be fair, that cup of coffee with butter is a meal replacement and I assume your 16 calorie cup is just a cup of coffee, not your breakfast. Also, to be fair, if your 500 calorie cup of coffee replaces a bagel. cream cheese and medium soy latte with extra whip, vanilla and 3 splendas you probably are going to lose weight due to less calories consumed. Given the choice between a crappy CW sugar grain breakfast or a very fatty cup of coffee, I'd go for the coffee.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

b.good is offline Junior Member
    hahahahahahahaha CHOCO you are such a douchebag!!!!!!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    He meant it as in "designing a webpage," not as a reference to melting the fat out of animal tissue, silly.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I'm surrounded by people that don't grasp that simple message. I'm surrounded by people that blend half a stick of butter in their coffee and eat it by the slice and wonder why they can't seem to lose weight.
    That legitimately made my day. And it's only 8:55. In the morning.

Cheers!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    while I'm rendering myself a cup of coffee
    I just friggin' snorted I laughed so hard at that.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast