Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you eat butter? page 6

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Does your statement that butter is a rendered fat and a processed food stand? Because one of those assertions is patently false, the other intellectually indefensible.
    Yes, my statement stands. Butter is on a similar nutritional plane as honey, maple syrup and molasses. If you're not okay with eating them as a food, then you cannot logically agree with eating butter as a food. Consuming butter and oils by the spoonful is no different than eating whole sugars like sucanat, honey, molasses, maple syrup, coconut sugar, etc.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Render is a word with many meanings; in terms of food product, it does specifically involve heating. You're wrong on that point Choco, but I feel like debating semantics on this is pretty ridiculous. These long winded totally pointless arguments y'all get into probably turn away a lot of newbies.

12. To reduce, convert, or melt down (fat) by heating.

Putting butter in coffee is, quite seriously, no different than putting cream in coffee. It's essentially the difference between ice and water.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Somehow, the simple message of "eat real food" has been perverted and people that sit at a desk all day are drinking sticks of butter simply because it is a "fat" while sneering at the poor lady that put 2 teaspoons of sugar in her coffee simply because it is "sugar."
    I read this whole thread and this made me LOL.

I don't really have an opinion on the debate--butter, like milk, meat, eggs, etc. is only as nutritious as the cow it came from. I know Kerrygold claims to be grass-fed, but it's so ever-present, so widely available that it makes me question its integrity. There are no agencies to verify packaging claims like "grass fed" or "pasture-raised" so you're basically putting your trust in people who stand to make a fast buck by deceiving you. Butter from a cow you raise yourself is a different story. Still not something I would eat on its own (ew), but worlds different from RBGH butter, grain-fed butter, or even Kerrygold... The problem with things like "butter is high in K2" is, that claim is only true if the cow ate a certain diet, but its been extrapolated out so makers of disgusting factory-farmed butter are making a profit off it.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I see I have angered the religious sect of the Church of Paleo. Seriously, you need a hobby.
    Repent and do repentance! - and to save your lost paleo soul you must now drink a large cup of Bulletproof coffee loaded with one stick of butter as a holy sacramentů

Paleobird Guest
    renĚder
    1 [ren-der] Show IPA verb (used with object)
    1. to cause to be or become; make:to render someone helpless.
    2. to do; perform: to render a service.
    3. to furnish; provide: to render aid.
    4. to exhibit or show (obedience, attention, etc.).
    5. to present for consideration, app roval, payment, action, etc., as an account.

Rendering | Define Rendering at Dictionary.com

All "render" means is to "make." Butter is rendered just like lard is rendered - it has to be made because it does not exist completely naturally.

[/sarcasm]
    From the very same dictionary link provided by Choco. He jsut didn't read down the page far enough.

21.to try out oil from fat, blubber, etc., by melting.

Obviously , since we are talking about fats, this is the definition that applies. Butter is not "rendered".
    Choco, you are so cute when you paint yourself into a logical corner this way and then throw a tantrum because there is no way out.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    renĚder
    1 [ren-der] Show IPA verb (used with object)
    1. to cause to be or become; make: to render someone helpless.
    2. to do; perform: to render a service.
    3. to furnish; provide: to render aid.
    4. to exhibit or show (obedience, attention, etc.).
    5. to present for consideration, app roval, payment, action, etc., as an account.

Rendering | Define Rendering at Dictionary.com

All "render" means is to "make." Butter is rendered just like lard is rendered - it has to be made because it does not exist completely naturally.

I see I have angered the religious sect of the Church of Paleo. Seriously, you need a hobby. Butter is not a whole food, and if you eat it by the slice or blend it in your coffee than eating honey and drinking maple syrup is just as viable. If you enjoy these things, I more than welcome you to enjoy your daily breakfast of a slice of butter and a glass of maple syrup. I'll stick to eating real food like eggs, meat, fruits and vegetables instead of consuming large quantities of comparatively empty, rendered fat.

[/sarcasm]
    I'm rendered speechless by your claim that the definition you bolded applies to making butter from cream.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Stupid arguments like this are the reason I sometimes feel embarrassed to say I'm Paleo.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    If you're not okay with eating them as a food, then you cannot logically agree with eating butter as a food.
    I disagree. Here's a more accurate analogy: If you're not okay with eating butter as a food, then you cannot logically agree with eating cheese as a food.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    From the very same dictionary link provided by Choco. He jsut didn't read down the page far enough.

21.to try out oil from fat, blubber, etc., by melting.

Obviously , since we are talking about fats, this is the definition that applies. Butter is not "rendered".
    Choco, you are so cute when you paint yourself into a logical corner this way and then throw a tantrum because there is no way out.
    Please. "To render" is to make. It is used in all walks of life as a normal word, like rendering a webpage. I guess webpages have to be melted as well. But please, keep the logical fallacies coming. The fact remains that butter is not nutrient dense compared to whole foods and it is processed no matter how you look at it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Just wow. I was going to comment on your stupid butter=sugar comment, but after reading this thread more I've realized I might have better luck teaching my dog to make coffee.

I want to save myself from this:

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast