Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 184

Thread: How do you eat butter? page 5

  1. #41
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,825
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    That's not true. Your argument is not in context.

    Is butter unhealthy? No. It's one of the healthiest fats on planet Earth, and my goto fat of choice for cooking (well, technically ghee, but same composition).

    Butter is also one of the most nutrient-dense fats on planet Earth as well. Compare it to coconut oil, lard, tallow...they are healthy fats as well, and butter beats them.

    But compare butter to actual food - meat, eggs, fruit, tubers, vegetables - and it is comparatively empty calories. Eating it like food is irresponsible when losing weight because it has a very high calorie:nutrient ratio. Butter is not a whole food, it is a rendered fat, and just because butter is a very nutritious fat, it is not nutritious compared to actual food. Compared to a steak, an apple or a leaf of lettuce, it doesn't come anywhere close to nutritious.

    You're taking the extremist approach. I understand the thrill of this lifestyle - you get to brag to people terrified of fat, particularly saturated fat, and tell them how much butter you consume. That's exciting because it's so counter-culture, and it makes us feel superior for "knowing" what they don't know. But there is a fine line between cooking your meat and vegetables in a tablespoon of butter and eating it by the slice or blending sticks in your coffee. Why do we always have to take the extreme approach around here? Let's be reasonable.

    Simply saying butter is good because it has Vitamin K2 in it is like the Idiocracy line of "Brawndo's got electrolytes!" Everyone says it but no one knows what it means.

    You've lost the plot entirely. I never said "butter is good because it has Vitamin K2," I said "your claims that butter contains no nutrition is false, for example, K2 can be found in butter." Butter is good for a plethora of reasons. It's satiating, the fats it contains are good for your gut and brain, and it's delicious. And yes, there are some nutrients found in butter that are not readily available from too many other sources, like CLA and K2, as I mentioned.

    You said butter isn't a whole food because it's processed, which is an unjustifiable claim. You keep calling it a rendered fat despite the fact that it's simply churned cream. Your arguments are based on your new anti-HFLC ideology rather than fact. You are obviously more interested in playing "who can argue better" than actually addressing these conflicting points in your own thought process.

  2. #42
    0Angel0's Avatar
    0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    180
    Butter is a cooking tool and an ingredient for me. I eat HFLC but as I still have a few pounds to lose I don't use much in the way of added fats other than the occasional homemade mayo or sauce. I tried a sliver of Kerrygold straight ages ago to see what all the fuss was about. No thanks. But yeah, butter is definitely food and highly nutritious when coming from properly raised cows.

  3. #43
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    "your claims that butter contains no nutrition is false, for example, K2 can be found in butter."
    You're outright lying. I never said butter contains "no nutrition." I said it isn't nutrient-dense like whole foods are. My statement stands.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  4. #44
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    Butter is a cooking tool and an ingredient for me. I eat HFLC but as I still have a few pounds to lose I don't use much in the way of added fats other than the occasional homemade mayo or sauce..
    This is how butter is used properly. As a cooking fat and as a flavoring agent it's good stuff, especially Kerrygold (which is really all I buy). I render ghee from Kerrygold unsalted for cooking and keep a stick of salted Kerrygold on-hand for the occasional spread or quick light pan fry. Slicing it into chunks to eat like bread or blending tablespoons in your coffee is abuse of a healthy cooking fat IMO. At that point it becomes largely empty calories.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  5. #45
    Coop12oz's Avatar
    Coop12oz is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    13
    It had to have been years ago, and I believe the poster was Batty, but she posted a recipe for Blueberry Butter Balls. I made them once. They were one of the yummiest things I have ever eaten, and because of this I can never make them again. Just too tempting. Normally Butter is just my go to fat for cooking. I also LOVE mixing in a little with scrambled eggs. I tried the bulletproof coffee as well, not bad, but have only had it a handful of times. I prefer my coffee black.

  6. #46
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    I eat fresh butter
    From a sterling silver fork
    To annoy Choco

  7. #47
    0Angel0's Avatar
    0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This is how butter is used properly. As a cooking fat and as a flavoring agent it's good stuff, especially Kerrygold (which is really all I buy). I render ghee from Kerrygold unsalted for cooking and keep a stick of salted Kerrygold on-hand for the occasional spread or quick light pan fry. Slicing it into chunks to eat like bread or blending tablespoons in your coffee is abuse of a healthy cooking fat IMO. At that point it becomes largely empty calories.
    I think there are times when that can be appropriate for different people. It depends on what you're eating. I try to get my fat from meat and eggs as much as possible. I also tend to eat around 60-65% dietary fat while some people do better at 80%. You don't need much added fat to get to 60% eating real whole foods that aren't "light" or "reduced fat".

    In the context of a whole day's worth of food on a HFLC diet adding extra butter, whether you add it to your coffee or put it on a steak, can be a part of a healthy diet. With real food. It all depends on the individual and what they eat in a particular day. A healthy food only becomes "empty calories" if you eat too much of it. And "too much" is highly individual.

  8. #48
    noodletoy's Avatar
    noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    3,051
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Do you understand what "rendering" is?
    am quite sure that i do know what rendering is and that you do not. rendering is what turns animal hides into gelatin. it's what turns left-over porky bits into lard. at its most simple base it involves heat, while making butter does not. rendering has zero to do with separating cream from liquid.

    Milk is a whole food. From there, the cream is separated. Then, it is churned for a long time. That is a rendering process. Butter is subject to multi-step processing.
    making butter is basically 2 steps. separate cream. churn. et voila: butter. that equals "a couple" of steps. not " a few", not "several", not "many", not "multi". TWO.


    There is no way to get butter in nature.

    numerous farmers and cow owners on here would beg to differ.

    It is useful, it is healthy in appropriate quantities, but it is not real food. It is more processed than honey and about as processed as a whole sugar like sucanat.
    by your logic ghee, your proclaimed fat of choice, is a highly processed food -- moreso than butter. how can you let it touch your sanctimonious mouth?

    am sorry, but you sound like an hysteric here and it's just funny watching you get so easily wound up.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    – Ernest Hemingway

  9. #49
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,825
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Butter isn't food. It's rendered fat. It's a cooking tool so foods don't stick to your pan, or a flavoring agent. Eating butter by the slice is like eating salt by the spoonful or taking a tablespoon to a bag of sugar. It's no different - lots of calories, not very much nutrition. Stick to eating real food and using butter as a tool, not a significant source of calories, and you'll reach your goals much more easily.

    I disagree. Paleo is about eating real food. Butter is a processed, rendered fat, not a whole food. It's not unhealthy by any stretch, but it's silly to eat it as food. Again, would you take a spoon to a bag of sugar and start eating? It's really no different. Stuff like bulletproof coffee and the like is total faileo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Frame it any way you want it, butter is empty calories versus real, whole food. If you think eating straight butter is fine for fat loss, then eating straight from the honey jar or drinking a glass of maple syrup is also fine, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I never said butter contains "no nutrition." I said it isn't nutrient-dense like whole foods are. My statement stands.
    I'll set the example for you: I was wrong when I posted that you said butter contains "no nutrition." You did call it empty calories compared to "real, whole food," and you did compare it to eating sugar from a bag by the spoonful. So I inaccurately exaggerated (but certainly didn't fabricate) your claim.

    Does your statement that butter is a rendered fat and a processed food stand? Because one of those assertions is patently false, the other intellectually indefensible.

  10. #50
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    am quite sure that i do know what rendering is and that you do not. rendering is what turns animal hides into gelatin. it's what turns left-over porky bits into lard. at its most simple base it involves heat, while making butter does not. rendering has zero to do with separating cream from liquid.
    ren·der
    1 [ren-der] Show IPA verb (used with object)
    1. to cause to be or become; make: to render someone helpless.
    2. to do; perform: to render a service.
    3. to furnish; provide: to render aid.
    4. to exhibit or show (obedience, attention, etc.).
    5. to present for consideration, app roval, payment, action, etc., as an account.

    Rendering | Define Rendering at Dictionary.com

    All "render" means is to "make." Butter is rendered just like lard is rendered - it has to be made because it does not exist completely naturally.

    I see I have angered the religious sect of the Church of Paleo. Seriously, you need a hobby. Butter is not a whole food, and if you eat it by the slice or blend it in your coffee than eating honey and drinking maple syrup is just as viable. If you enjoy these things, I more than welcome you to enjoy your daily breakfast of a slice of butter and a glass of maple syrup. I'll stick to eating real food like eggs, meat, fruits and vegetables instead of consuming large quantities of comparatively empty, rendered fat.

    [/sarcasm]
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •