Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you eat butter? page 3

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Butter isn't food. It's rendered fat.

>>snip>>

I disagree. Paleo is about eating real food. Butter is a processed, rendered fat, not a whole food.
    do you have any idea how butter is actually made? it's simply churned cream. cream mixed and mixed til it turns sorta solid. it's not "rendered", nor is it "processed" by any stretch of the imagination. good, grass-fed butter is the same today as it was thousands of years ago.

it's not much different than eating fresh cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    If I make butter from my own cow's milk, sometimes I like to...
    zomg, am i jealous. we get organic, local grass-fed cream and milk, and it's ambrosia from the gods. how i wish they made butter.

to the op: sometimes if i am prepping a meal but starving i will have a little slice, but mostly i have it with eggs, over veggies or a melted dollop in bone broth.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Butter is no more "processed" than white rice is. Why is it okay to eat a "pure starch" but not a "pure fat" again?

Actually, that's a bad analogy, because there's a lot of positive nutrition in the grass-fed butter we eat. CLA, K2, omega-3's. I'm not saying white rice is the devil, but it can't compare nutritionally to good butter.

Now if someone's eating so much butter that it's displacing more nutritious foods from their diet, it could become a problem for sure. But a paper-thin slice of Kerrygold here and there is a satiating indulgence and your constant railing against it is really unfounded in fact or logic.
    I rarely ever eat white rice. If I do, it's in small quantities mixed into the food for texture - like in sushi. This is similar to using butter to cook or flavor your food. I've never eaten a plain bowl of white rice just like I wouldn't eat butter plain.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    do you have any idea how butter is actually made? it's simply churned cream. cream mixed and mixed til it turns sorta solid. it's not "rendered", nor is it "processed" by any stretch of the imagination. good, grass-fed butter is the same today as it was thousands of years ago.

Do you understand what "rendering" is? Milk is a whole food. From there, the cream is separated. Then, it is churned for a long time. That is a rendering process. Butter is subject to multi-step processing. There is no way to get butter in nature. It is useful, it is healthy in appropriate quantities, but it is not real food. It is more processed than honey and about as processed as a whole sugar like sucanat. In context, it's like eating honey by the tablespoon. I can understand the occasional taste - I mean who has never taken a teaspoon of honey? But to eat it like it's food...I'd pass.

[QUOTE=noodletoy;1134972]it's not much different than eating fresh cheese.

Not even on the same planet. Cheese is much more nutritious per calorie and a great source of protein. Cheese is very anabolic and makes you strong. Butter just makes you gain fat eating it like real food.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Do you understand what "rendering" is? Milk is a whole food. From there, the cream is separated.
    Have you ever seen unhomogenized milk? The cream sits on the top and can be scooped off. Saying this is "processing" is like saying pulling a potato out of the ground is "processing."

Then, it is churned for a long time.
    Oh, the industrial chemical solvent process known as "churning...."

That is a rendering process.
    I really don't think it is according to my understanding of the word "render," but I could be wrong and not interested in a battle over semantics and vocabulary

Butter is subject to multi-step processing.
    So is a sliced apple. Step 1: remove apple from tree, Step 2, slice apple with knife. Multiple step processing. You're being ridiculous.

There is no way to get butter in nature.
    Where does one get it then? Have you ever seen Little House on the Prairie? You milk the cow, put the cream in a wooden deal, and mash it with a stick for a while. Butter. What part of that takes place "outside nature?"

Cheese is much more nutritious per calorie and a great source of protein. Cheese is very anabolic and makes you strong. Butter just makes you gain fat eating it like real food.
    So butter is not food because it's more processed than honey, but cheese is food (despite being more processed than butter) because you like its nutritional profile better than butter? You're talking out both sides of your mouth, Sir.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I posted that rendering is the melting of hard fat on page two of this thread. Churning is not rendering. Milk an animal. Cream floats to top. Stick cream in blender. Turn blender on. Watch what happens.

Cutting a cow into given cuts is a process. Cooking the different cuts is a process.

IOW, unless you're living without knives, fire, blenders, etc., you're processing your food.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I am enjoying this thread, and if I wasn't in the middle of an IF, I'd be enjoying it with a pat of grass-fed butter.

Please, the fallacies are ridiculous. You can pick an apple off a tree. You cannot get butter anywhere but the grocery store. It has to be made. It isn't a whole food and it isn't nutritious on a calorie-per-calorie basis versus any meat, fruit or vegetable. People on this site eat slices of butter, blend butter in their coffee and then wonder why they plateau. It's insane. A 400 calorie coffee made from blended butter is no different than a 400 calorie latte loaded with sugar. So maybe you get some Vitamin A and K in there. Using honey to make your 400 calorie latte is just as nutritious. Using molasses would be more nutritious than butter.

The point is this: would you eat a jar of honey or drink a glass of maple syrup? If your answer is yes, by all means at butter. It's the same principle.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Please, the fallacies are ridiculous. You can pick an apple off a tree. You cannot get butter anywhere but the grocery store. It has to be made. It isn't a whole food and it isn't nutritious on a calorie-per-calorie basis versus any meat, fruit or vegetable. People on this site eat slices of butter, blend butter in their coffee and then wonder why they plateau. It's insane. A 400 calorie coffee made from blended butter is no different than a 400 calorie latte loaded with sugar. So maybe you get some Vitamin A and K in there. Using honey to make your 400 calorie latte is just as nutritious. Using molasses would be more nutritious than butter.

The point is this: would you eat a jar of honey or drink a glass of maple syrup? If your answer is yes, by all means at butter. It's the same principle.
    After you cut the core out of the apple it's not a "whole food" either.

What's "insane" is to imagine that everybody who eats butter is fat. That's nonsense, pure wishful thinking on your part. I'm thinner than I've been in 30 years and still losing weight. And I eat fat.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    White rice is an excellent source to get fast glucose or to refill glycogen after exercise; butter on the other hand gives you FFA in your blood stream and refill body fat. Years ago I thought that white rice was the devil, but it is a really good carb to shuttle glucose fast into the muscles. A small/moderate portion of rice together with some white potatoes is a very good post workout combo in my experience…

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York

You can't pick a steak off a tree. Gotta get it at the grocery store. You can't pick cheese off a tree. Gotta get it at the grocery store. You can't pick eggs off a tree, much less scrambled eggs or an omelet. Churned cream is called butter. Butter is food. Real, whole food. How much CLA is there in maple syrup again? How much K2 in honey?

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast