Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you eat butter? page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    When the butter comes out of the refrigerator I cut myself a pat and nibble on it, if I'm hungry.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karo View Post
    I was wondering how you eat butter by itself: just plain or do you soften it and add spices etc..
    Yeah, chowing on just butter is hardcore advanced paleo.

A few methods which are roughly the same thing: eating chunks of solidified coconut oil (my preference), drinking heavy cream, grass-fed butter in your coffee.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I do drink cream sometimes.....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Butter isn't food. It's rendered fat. It's a cooking tool so foods don't stick to your pan, or a flavoring agent. Eating butter by the slice is like eating salt by the spoonful or taking a tablespoon to a bag of sugar. It's no different - lots of calories, not very much nutrition. Stick to eating real food and using butter as a tool, not a significant source of calories, and you'll reach your goals much more easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Yeah, chowing on just butter is hardcore advanced paleo.
    I disagree. Paleo is about eating real food. Butter is a processed, rendered fat, not a whole food. It's not unhealthy by any stretch, but it's silly to eat it as food. Again, would you take a spoon to a bag of sugar and start eating? It's really no different. Stuff like bulletproof coffee and the like is total faileo.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I actually never eat butter unless I eat it alone, sliver by sliver when I need the extra calories. I never use butter otherwise.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Butter isn't food. It's rendered fat. It's a cooking tool so foods don't stick to your pan, or a flavoring agent. Eating butter by the slice is like eating salt by the spoonful or taking a tablespoon to a bag of sugar. It's no different - lots of calories, not very much nutrition. Stick to eating real food and using butter as a tool, not a significant source of calories, and you'll reach your goals much more easily.

I disagree. Paleo is about eating real food. Butter is a processed, rendered fat, not a whole food. It's not unhealthy by any stretch, but it's silly to eat it as food. Again, would you take a spoon to a bag of sugar and start eating? It's really no different. Stuff like bulletproof coffee and the like is total faileo.
    Butter is no more "processed" than white rice is. Why is it okay to eat a "pure starch" but not a "pure fat" again?

Actually, that's a bad analogy, because there's a lot of positive nutrition in the grass-fed butter we eat. CLA, K2, omega-3's. I'm not saying white rice is the devil, but it can't compare nutritionally to good butter.

Now if someone's eating so much butter that it's displacing more nutritious foods from their diet, it could become a problem for sure. But a paper-thin slice of Kerrygold here and there is a satiating indulgence and your constant railing against it is really unfounded in fact or logic.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If butter is processed, then so is every piece of anything we eat, unless we're picking it out of the ground and eating it in the field, or taking bites out of hanging dead animals.

Definition: A culinary term for melting and clarifying hard animal fat for cooking purposes. Rendering can be done by dry heat or wet heat. The fat is slowly cooked until it melts, and is then strained of impurities from the cooking process. (For example, cracklings are the remnants of rendering pork fat.) The rendered fat can be refrigerated or frozen for months.
    Source: Render Definition - Meat & Game Cooking - What is Rendering

And that is not how butter is made.

Anyway, to the OP, I like butter in my coffee - about a half to 3/4 of a tablespoon. And eggs taste fanfreakin'tastic fried in butter. Coconut oil is good for some things, but nothing replaces the flavor of butter to me. And to think I wasted years using lower calorie butter replacements. :::hangs head in shame:::
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    I don't really ever eat it plain. I use it for cooking or lubricating pans so that things I'm roasting/baking don't stick.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    If I make butter from my own cow's milk, sometimes I like to... lick it... I mean, ya'll talk about kerrygold... And I'm sittin' over here thinkin' ya'll are crazy because that stuff tastes like nothing to me.

And, butter is not rendered fat. Rendered means to be heated. Lard is rendered. So is tallow. BUTTER is simply CREAM that has been shaken up in some shape or form. For me anyway. I guess store butter is pasteurized. But that still isn't rendered.

When I make butter, I make it in small batches because I have a small cow that produces a small amount of cream (in comparison to other cows) So, I literally dump approx 16 ounces of cream into a quart jar... and get this... I shake it. Just shake the sucker. Takes about 1/2 hour. Before I know it I have a glob of beautiful, fresh, pure, butter.

If I'm feeling lazy, I put it in the blender and have it in 2 minutes.

Choco, my dear, normally I enjoy and tend to agree with many of your posts, but on this TEENY item, you have been misinformed.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I forgot to mention... I use butter whenever I can. It is my one and only cooking oil. I put it on all veggies that I have cooked. Goes in my burgers and on my steaks. This is not a primal change. I used butter in the same fashion preprimal.

As Julia Child said- "You can never have too much butter." And, "If you're afraid of butter, use cream."

She was also the one who said "Fat gives things flavor." Woman was a genius in the kitchen.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast