Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you eat butter? page 11

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I loves me some goat milk butter, but rarely eat just a pat even though to me it is as tasty as dark chocolate.

I do cook most meals in cast iron pans using a teaspoon or so of rendered duck fat or butter. I usually only eat bacon when i cook liver and onions. To clean up my pans at the end of cooking I usually throw in a double hand full of greens or raw coleslaw mix to wilt. This soaks up the odd bits and cooking oil which cleans up the pan for the most part.

If I was to instead pour off the oil and use a cloth or paper towels to clean it up could I then eat a pat of butter?
    Or both are equally horrible?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by springnr View Post
    I loves me some goat milk butter, but rarely eat just a pat even though to me it is as tasty as dark chocolate.

I do cook most meals in cast iron pans using a teaspoon or so of rendered duck fat or butter. I usually only eat bacon when i cook liver and onions. To clean up my pans at the end of cooking I usually throw in a double hand full of greens or raw coleslaw mix to wilt. This soaks up the odd bits and cooking oil which cleans up the pan for the most part.

If I was to instead pour off the oil and use a cloth or paper towels to clean it up could I then eat a pat of butter?
    Or both are equally horrible?

I use a griddle for most my stove top cooking. It has a grease collector that I never use. I just let the fat solidify and reheat it when I cook the next thing. If it happens to be veggies or some other low fat item that saves me from having to add anything. If it is bacon....well I get double fried bacon! It's all good IMO. Long as its primarily from good saturated fat.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    My point is that all this nonsense is stupid. Butter, maple syrup, honey, salt - they're all in the same category. They are toppings and cooking tools/additives, not foods that should be consumed on their own. If you eat slices of butter, you must also be okay with eating tablespoons of honey. It's the same principle. To say butter is okay to eat by itself and deny the same to honey, maple syrup and molasses isn't logical.
    i don't touch honey, maple syrup or molasses. even pre-primal i never cared for them. to equate pure sugar with butter is nothing but hilarity.

this thread is one of the funnier reads i've had in a while.

walk away for an hour and come back and read your stuff. bwwaaaahhhhh!! geezus, kid, exhale.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 03-22-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Your body turns excess sugar into healthy fats ^-^
    only to be rendered as food for the zombie apocalypse.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Stupid arguments like this are the reason I sometimes feel embarrassed to say I'm Paleo.
    No kidding...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Repent and do repentance! - and to save your lost paleo soul you must now drink a large cup of Bulletproof coffee loaded with one stick of butter as a holy sacrament…

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I wondered why this thread was getting so much mileage....

now I know!
    it's LENT!!!! i'magonna build a big crucifix out of bacon and do my stations of the cross today.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes Choco, we've heard it before, many times, and it is always the place you run to when somebody calls you out on fallacies in your logical reasoning and your mis-use of terminology. As if anyone here were really advocating NOT eating real nutrient dense foods.
    real foods? i'm dipping skittles in butter and drinking melted cotton candy while read this.

– Ernest Hemingway

oxide is online now Senior Member
    I do snack on butter by scraping bits with a spoon. The salted stuff is delicious. But I'm good for a about a teaspoon and then I forget about eating.

But why does butter have to be nutrient dense? It has a nutrient: energy. You gotta burn something to live. I get enough vitamins from my regular meals, which is why butter is a "snack."

I do agree that bulletproof coffee should be a treat, not a meal replacement, and that you should budget your fat calories for it. CICO still generally applies to fat burners, kinda sorta.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Butter is fat so lets not go off into A!/A2/casein to deep.

Being mindful of fat content in your diet is good. How one ingest their fat might be a more personal decision.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I eat fresh butter
    From a sterling silver fork
    To annoy Choco
    Sliced, like cheese. Hold the cracker.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    bwahaha! carbphobic ketophiles
    that's awesome, lol
    (I mean that as a compliment btw. I never would have thought of words like that )
    I aim to please

I like the way butter tastes, but it's a rather pointless food. Everything it contains can be had from other sources far more nutrient dense. It's just a way to add more saturated fat in your diet.

It can't be compared to sugar because there is no comparison. Honey, maple syrup, white sugar, molasses, et al. all serve far more of a point than butter. Butter contains far too many calories to be a staple source of nutrients, thus its calorie/nutrient ratio is completely whack. Not only that, but the nutrition composition varies greatly, especially for stuff like vitamin k2.

Better off drinking milk, or eating cheese, and just adding a dab of butter for eggs or something. Eating it by the stick or throwing half a stick in a drink is just pointless, since it doesn't actually do anything.

If you get full off doing that, you're probably hypothyroid with a screwed appetite.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 03-22-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast