Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I eat something? page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The longest fast I ever did was about 56 hours, and I did it several times. I was never without hunger.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Presumably, you're burning stored body fat for fuel right now. Fasting is much less dangerous than we've sometimes been led to believe, but I wouldn't go longer than 72 hours. If you aren't hungry by then, I'd just start eating something at that point. Your hunger will return pretty immediately once you get some food in your mouth.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    I decided to break the fast. 40 hours seemed enough for my first go.

How long should I wait until my next fast?

I appreciate all your help!

mikewootini is offline Senior Member
    Dial in your diet and check out leangains.com for IF help and info. Good luck
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Traveller,

There are no set in stone answers for your questions. You really must go with how you're feeling- what your body is telling you. That's a big thing in primal. Getting in touch with your bodies' cues.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanda View Post
    I read about PrimalDog doing this somewhere, and I think he took a multivitamin every day to keep from losing minerals. He also said he did it for about a week, and felt great. And lost 21 lbs during that time.

Editing to post his comment from the "Those weird little bonuses" thread:

"5) Complete lack of an appetite. I'm not talking about for just hours or even a day. I decided (back on August 8) to see how long it would last. So all I did was drink water and take an occasional vitamin pill. I ended the experiment after 168 hours (7 days). I had lost 21 pounds. I still had no appetite. The really alarming thing was that the longer it went on the easier it became. I'm not certain about the goings on of this, but I did keep very accurate records of it. "

I think if you want to continue to do it, go ahead! Just keep an eye on how you're feeling.
    Did he mention anything after the fast? I'm curious to see how fast he regained the 21 pounds, if he regained them at all.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Chanda is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Did he mention anything after the fast? I'm curious to see how fast he regained the 21 pounds, if he regained them at all.
    Not that I saw. I sent him a PM about his fasting records, but I haven't seen him posting for a while... I'm also curious about how much of the 21 lbs he might have regained.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I've gone about a week with just water. Did very frequent 3 day fasts in high school and college for wrestling. It ain't gonna kill ya.

Disclaimer: This might actually kill you, and if it does I never said it wouldn't.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You said you've been on primal for only a few days, so as a start point, I would advise focusing on the right food first. Personally I only fast by default, i.e if the circumstances naturally lead to me not eating, such as if I'm busy / traveling somewhere. I'm rarely too busy to eat but if it does happen, no harm done! If you are enjoying the process of fasting for it's own sake, it may be a cause for concern, that isn't good if it becomes a habit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12