Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Feeling defeated.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    18

    Feeling defeated.

    I'm on week three of eating paleo right now and a couple of things have happened. My acne has reduced significantly and I don't shit bricks anymore for the first time in YEARS. I love these changes and I feel like it must be a sign that I'm moving in the right direction, but at the same time I'm having some issues.

    First of all my wallet is hurting, a LOT. On a college students budget the rise in my grocery bill is horrifying compared to what I used to spend. It's like a month of groceries spent away in five days or less, not good. I won't lie; I'm hungry, a lot, and I'm finding it really difficult to do anything about it with such strict limitations on food. A bowl of grape nuts before bed, some whole wheat toast with peanut butter, a bowl of steel cut oats in the morning, brown rice and beans for lunch, or even barley as a side dish for dinner... a HUGE portion of my diet has suddenly been removed and even after three weeks I have completely failed to find affordable solutions to fill that void. I work late hours and when I get home I just stand in the kitchen and think "what now?" Slices of bell pepper? A carrot? Yea right, I just worked nine hours, that's not gonna do it! On the one hand it's wonderful that my acne is going away and my bathroom habits are improving, but this just doesn't feel sustainable in the long term seeing that I make $700-$900 a month.

    I'm also frustrated by the endless contradictions and fighting that goes back and forth with nutritionists and bloggers and such. Paleo is good, paleo is bad, paleo actually encourages insulin resistance, this guys a quack, that guys a fraud, you should eat less than 150 grams of carbs, you should eat less than FIFTY grams of carbs, you should have high protein, you should have high fat and low protein or this and that will happen, you'll get kidney stones, you'll die etc... It's just an endless source of frustration for me, how do you guys do it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    8,707
    How do I do it? Take no one's word as "truth". You have to figure out what works for you.

    If you have simply removed a portion of your diet, of course you are hungry! Potatoes? Sweet potatoes? Sometimes, if I feel like I haven't eaten enough, one sweet potato (nuked, with coconut oil & cinnamon applied after) is enough to fill me up.

    Are you sourcing foods at a regular grocery store or farms/Whole Foods? If you can't go for top quality, don't. Spend what you can, within reason. Vegetables and fruits are not that expensive, are they? Meat is probably the most expensive thing.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

    Depression Lies

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    How do I do it? Take no one's word as "truth". You have to figure out what works for you.

    If you have simply removed a portion of your diet, of course you are hungry! Potatoes? Sweet potatoes? Sometimes, if I feel like I haven't eaten enough, one sweet potato (nuked, with coconut oil & cinnamon applied after) is enough to fill me up.

    Are you sourcing foods at a regular grocery store or farms/Whole Foods? If you can't go for top quality, don't. Spend what you can, within reason. Vegetables and fruits are not that expensive, are they? Meat is probably the most expensive thing.
    The killer for me is nuts, seeds and meat, a typical day might look like this...

    Breakfast
    2 eggs
    Sausage / bacon / some kind of meat? ( I might cut out processed meats )
    fruit ( frozen berries, tomato slices, banana )

    Lunch
    Fish / meat
    Various vegetables ( salad, squash, sweet potato, steamed veggies... )

    Dinner
    Trail mix ( 1/4 cup of almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, dried fruit )
    Sweet potato bowl ( sweet potato, avocado, mango, bell pepper, cilantro, lime juice )
    apple
    can of tuna ( for later since I work nine hours )

    I'm going to try to get slow cooker meats this week to see if I can save money, but some other money pits I've encountered are; coconut oil, almond butter, nuts and seeds. I'm sorry but I'm not shelling out 9 bucks for a little jar of butter or oil, it's just not affordable for me, the trail mix is a problem that I'd like to eliminate if I can find an alternative ( maybe just one inexpensive nut as opposed to the mix? ). That period between 4pm and 2 am is a problem for me, I don't want a full meal but I'm still pretty darn hungry and don't feel like nibbling on carrot sticks. Any advice would be awesome, I'm still really new to this and trying to figure things out. I'm sorry if my replies seem behind but by the time I post a lot of other responses have come in, thanks for the help so far.
    Last edited by mageta; 03-21-2013 at 01:19 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by mageta View Post
    ( I might cut out processed meats )
    Sounds great. As long as you can get a good source of bacon your can trust. I look the other way when considering whether bacon is processed or not, but have managed to find a local source of bacon .

    Eggs are awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by mageta View Post
    Dinner
    Trail mix ( 1/4 cup of almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, dried fruit )
    Nuts are really high in O6 fats, and it's typical of newer people to overdo them. I'd rather see red fatty meat in there instead as a quality protein source.

    If you're including nuts as an energy source, some better and cheaper alternatives are fatty meats and safe starches (potatoes, sweet potatoes, kumara and carrots).

    Quote Originally Posted by mageta View Post
    I'm going to try to get slow cooker meats this week to see if I can save money,
    Yes! Slow cookers are awesome, and what's more, are the absolute BEST way of cooking the 'chuck steak' type cuts, that turn so soft and tender.

    Organ meats are also incredibly nutritious, as well as bone (to use in bone broths).

    Quote Originally Posted by mageta View Post
    but some other money pits I've encountered are; coconut oil, almond butter, nuts and seeds.
    Totally agree. I bought a jar of coconut oil a while back but it horrified my inner scotsman. We buy lots of butter, then melt it in the oven on the lower temperature for a hour, then pour off the 85% of clear butterfat into another vessel, and ta da! Homemade Ghee. We also sometimes save the fat runoff from roasting mutton flaps and make our own lard. It's so expensive to buy quality fats.

    Quote Originally Posted by mageta View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm not shelling out 9 bucks for a little jar of butter or oil, it's just not affordable for me, the trail mix is a problem that I'd like to eliminate if I can find an alternative ( maybe just one inexpensive nut as opposed to the mix? ).
    What are you eating the trail mix for? Fats? Protein? Because I think that fatty cuts of red meat deliver better on both fronts.

    Quote Originally Posted by mageta View Post
    That period between 4pm and 2 am is a problem for me, I don't want a full meal but I'm still pretty darn hungry and don't feel like nibbling on carrot sticks. Any advice would be awesome, I'm still really new to this and trying to figure things out.
    Maybe cook up a big meaty casserole/stew thingy on the weekend, then freeze it in portions, then defrost it and have it with different vegetables every night?

    I do something similar for breakfast, which this week for us was
    Bacon + eggs + mushrooms + liver
    Bacon + eggs + mushrooms + tomatoes + avocado
    Bacon + eggs + mushrooms + fish (a mackerel from a tin)
    eggs + leftover rice (fried) + leftover chicken
    Bacon + eggs + mushrooms + leftover potatoes + tomatoes
    Bacon + eggs + mushrooms + avocado
    Banana muffins: Bananas and eggs mashed together and cooked in muffin trays

    It's not that hard to create enough variation on what is essentially the same meal every time if you plan for it a little.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 03-21-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    Yes, potatoes. With or without butter, cream, cheese, or bacon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,312
    "A bowl of grape nuts before bed, some whole wheat toast with peanut butter, a bowl of steel cut oats in the morning, brown rice and beans for lunch, or even barley as a side dish for dinner". You're not on the paleo diet. Read the book. It doesn't have to be expensive and you're spending the money in the wrong place.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    "A bowl of grape nuts before bed, some whole wheat toast with peanut butter, a bowl of steel cut oats in the morning, brown rice and beans for lunch, or even barley as a side dish for dinner". You're not on the paleo diet. Read the book. It doesn't have to be expensive and you're spending the money in the wrong place.
    She seems to be saying that these are the foods she used to eat but no longer can.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    She seems to be saying that these are the foods she used to eat but no longer can.
    Oh, you're right. I'm very sorry Mageta.

    "I'm also frustrated by the endless contradictions and fighting that goes back and forth with nutritionists and bloggers and such. Paleo is good, paleo is bad, paleo actually encourages insulin resistance, this guys a quack, that guys a fraud, you should eat less than 150 grams of carbs, you should eat less than FIFTY grams of carbs, you should have high protein, you should have high fat and low protein or this and that will happen, you'll get kidney stones, you'll die etc... It's just an endless source of frustration for me, how do you guys do it? "

    I think you have to make a choice as to which diet you're gong to follow. This is an important choice. Then just quit reading and listening to the others, even if that includes PB.

    On PB (High fat low carb (HFLC)), Low carb (LC) is between 100-150g. Very low carb (VLC) is between 50-100g. Ketosis is below 50g.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-21-2013 at 01:58 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Oh, you're right. I'm very sorry Mageta.

    "I'm also frustrated by the endless contradictions and fighting that goes back and forth with nutritionists and bloggers and such. Paleo is good, paleo is bad, paleo actually encourages insulin resistance, this guys a quack, that guys a fraud, you should eat less than 150 grams of carbs, you should eat less than FIFTY grams of carbs, you should have high protein, you should have high fat and low protein or this and that will happen, you'll get kidney stones, you'll die etc... It's just an endless source of frustration for me, how do you guys do it? "

    I think you have to make a choice as to which diet you're gong to follow. This is an important choice. Then just quit reading and listening to the others, even if that includes PB.

    On PB (High fat low carb (HFLC)), Low carb (LC) is between 100-150g. Very low carb (VLC) is between 50-100g. Ketosis is below 50g.
    Are there specific goals or something? Ketosis sounds dreadful to me and I wouldn't attempt it, for convenience sake I naturally fall into low carb. I definitely don't need to lose weight or anything, my goals are just to feel better, have consistent energy and not crash.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by mageta View Post
    It's just an endless source of frustration for me, how do you guys do it?
    I don't read the blogs anymore.

    Are you primal or paleo? I would think about eating potatoes, yogurt and cheese. Yogurt can be really inexpensive if you can catch it on sale. Sweet potatoes are great baked or microwaved. An omelet is quick to make and can be a good meal. If you really shop around and get things on sale you could have tuna salad or egg salad or chicken salad already made and waiting in the fridge for a quick meal that isn't too expensive.

    Glad to hear you're reaping so many benefits already!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •