Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeling defeated. page 3

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mageta View Post
    Very encouraging, I estimate I've been doing over $200 a month on groceries, if you can feed a family on $300 a month then I'm definitely buying the wrong things!
    You won't get the same economies of scale as someone shopping for a family.

When you think about $200 a month, that's just $50 a week or $2.30 per meal on average which isn't too shabby considering what people have to pay just for a coffee or muffin in a cafe. You may be able to tweak it some but it would mean some compromises.

mageta is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Oh, you're right. I'm very sorry Mageta.

"I'm also frustrated by the endless contradictions and fighting that goes back and forth with nutritionists and bloggers and such. Paleo is good, paleo is bad, paleo actually encourages insulin resistance, this guys a quack, that guys a fraud, you should eat less than 150 grams of carbs, you should eat less than FIFTY grams of carbs, you should have high protein, you should have high fat and low protein or this and that will happen, you'll get kidney stones, you'll die etc... It's just an endless source of frustration for me, how do you guys do it? "

I think you have to make a choice as to which diet you're gong to follow. This is an important choice. Then just quit reading and listening to the others, even if that includes PB.

On PB (High fat low carb (HFLC)), Low carb (LC) is between 100-150g. Very low carb (VLC) is between 50-100g. Ketosis is below 50g.
    Are there specific goals or something? Ketosis sounds dreadful to me and I wouldn't attempt it, for convenience sake I naturally fall into low carb. I definitely don't need to lose weight or anything, my goals are just to feel better, have consistent energy and not crash.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Are there specific goals or something? Ketosis sounds dreadful to me and I wouldn't attempt it, for convenience sake I naturally fall into low carb. I definitely don't need to lose weight or anything, my goals are just to feel better, have consistent energy and not crash.
    Ketosis is primarily seen as a weight loss protocol, and if you are not overweight, diabetic, or epileptic, I wouldn't reccommend it.

The best thing you can do is a very basic thing: Eat whole foods, move around a bit, and lift heavy things. You don't HAVE to be organic, crossfitting, macro counting, kefir making, squirrel hunting perfection. This is a good article that Mark wrote, and really hits home with me and may resonate with your situation as well: Don't Let the Perfect Be the Enemy of the Good.

It sounds like you just need to eat more of the good things you're already eating. I am in the same boat, actually, and am finding that my budget cannot accommodate my bodies needs while my brain insists on grassfed pasture everything. Something, somewhere, has to give. Better to eat conventional whole foods than junk, so you're already on the right track.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a crockpot? If not, ask for one for any upcoming holiday/reason - maybe Easter? They are a cheapo's best friend. You can make large pots of cheap stuff like chili, stew or soups, and cook cheap tough cuts of meat until they are falling-apart tender. They require a bit of work earlier in the day, but then you walk in the door at the end of the day to the most amazing smells and an instant meal.

Then invest in some cheap storage containers to package up and freeze all the great leftovers for future instant meals.

Another idea is the egg muffin. Lots of recipes around. Basically little pre-made egg/meat/veggie combos cooked in a muffin cup for instant portable food.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I'm sorry but I'm not shelling out 9 bucks for a little jar of butter or oil, it's just not affordable for me, the trail mix is a problem that I'd like to eliminate if I can find an alternative ( maybe just one inexpensive nut as opposed to the mix? ).
    You need a Trader Joe's...
    But don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Focus on elimnating processed foods, grains and crappy oils. Nothing wrong with eating some filler like rice and sweet potatoes. Or regular potatoes. Or normal meats.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    ( I might cut out processed meats )
    Sounds great. As long as you can get a good source of bacon your can trust. I look the other way when considering whether bacon is processed or not, but have managed to find a local source of bacon .

Eggs are awesome.

Dinner
    Trail mix ( 1/4 cup of almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, dried fruit )
    Nuts are really high in O6 fats, and it's typical of newer people to overdo them. I'd rather see red fatty meat in there instead as a quality protein source.

If you're including nuts as an energy source, some better and cheaper alternatives are fatty meats and safe starches (potatoes, sweet potatoes, kumara and carrots).

I'm going to try to get slow cooker meats this week to see if I can save money,
    Yes! Slow cookers are awesome, and what's more, are the absolute BEST way of cooking the 'chuck steak' type cuts, that turn so soft and tender.

Organ meats are also incredibly nutritious, as well as bone (to use in bone broths).

but some other money pits I've encountered are; coconut oil, almond butter, nuts and seeds.
    Totally agree. I bought a jar of coconut oil a while back but it horrified my inner scotsman. We buy lots of butter, then melt it in the oven on the lower temperature for a hour, then pour off the 85% of clear butterfat into another vessel, and ta da! Homemade Ghee. We also sometimes save the fat runoff from roasting mutton flaps and make our own lard. It's so expensive to buy quality fats.

I'm sorry but I'm not shelling out 9 bucks for a little jar of butter or oil, it's just not affordable for me, the trail mix is a problem that I'd like to eliminate if I can find an alternative ( maybe just one inexpensive nut as opposed to the mix? ).
    What are you eating the trail mix for? Fats? Protein? Because I think that fatty cuts of red meat deliver better on both fronts.

That period between 4pm and 2 am is a problem for me, I don't want a full meal but I'm still pretty darn hungry and don't feel like nibbling on carrot sticks. Any advice would be awesome, I'm still really new to this and trying to figure things out.
    Maybe cook up a big meaty casserole/stew thingy on the weekend, then freeze it in portions, then defrost it and have it with different vegetables every night?

I do something similar for breakfast, which this week for us was
    Bacon + eggs + mushrooms + liver
    Bacon + eggs + mushrooms + tomatoes + avocado
    Bacon + eggs + mushrooms + fish (a mackerel from a tin)
    eggs + leftover rice (fried) + leftover chicken
    Bacon + eggs + mushrooms + leftover potatoes + tomatoes
    Bacon + eggs + mushrooms + avocado
    Banana muffins: Bananas and eggs mashed together and cooked in muffin trays

It's not that hard to create enough variation on what is essentially the same meal every time if you plan for it a little.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 03-21-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes, rice (if you're willing to make that concession), cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, eggs...these are staples in our house.

Garbage Stir Fry. Try it, you'll like it.

Buy the best you can afford. Don't worry about grassfed and all that. Shop the sales. Buy whatever meat and veggies are on special that week, and plan your menus around it, even if it means eating the same thing for a few days in a row. Make a family size meal and refrigerate/freeze meal sized portions for yourself. My kids eat adult portions now, so I'm now doubling recipes and hubby can make 2 or 3 lunches out of the leftovers. YES you can eat the same thing every day. You were doing it before with the grapenuts and toast.

Buy whole heads of lettuce, not those bagged salads.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    You won't get the same economies of scale as someone shopping for a family.
    Sometimes you can if you have patience, a good knife, plastic wrap or baggies, and a freezer.

Sandman is offline Member
    You're doing great!

Read when you're curious, but first and foremost listen to your own body. If it feels good, do it. If not, don't.

As for cost, there are definitely less expensive ways to do it, but frankly you'll see the savings from eating less once you fully lose the desire to snack or overeat. If you're OK with dairy, butter is a lot cheaper than coconut oil. Olive oil is my favorite staple. And eggs... you can't go wrong with tons of eggs.

It's a long journey. Do what you can, buy what you can afford, the rest will fall into place.
    My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

suzyq is offline Junior Member
    I try to find when the local grocery stores in my area mark things down. The Kroger's in my area marks down all their rotisserie chicken to 1/2 price between 7 and 8pm, so I can get a whole chicken for $3.50 and they seem to mark most of their produce down on Tuesday. This can save you a lot of money especially if you have a decent sized freezer. It's easy to blanch the vegetables and throw them in a Ziploc bag in the freezer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast