Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeling defeated. page 2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    Can you do dairy? Butter is fine. Olive oil is good. You don't have to eat nuts, seeds, and *butters (nut or seed). If you need a snack-like thing, eating more veggies or something more starchy can sometimes help to round things out. I have found that treating a snack-like thing (trail mix) more like a mini-meal is more satisfying than foods that are more like condiments.

If you hard-boil some eggs in advance, that would be a quick snack or meal that might be helpful.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil is expansive but a little goes a looooooong way. I rarely use it for cooking, but I do use it on my skin and hair, as does my roomie, and we've been working on the same jar for something like 4 months now. Even cooking with it, not that much is needed.

I prefer to cook with local olive oil or kerrygold butter, anyway.

Don't bother with nuts, or nutbutters. These are luxury items no needed for healthy living and certainly an excess in a student's budget.

Focus on meet, veggies, and have some fruit as well. Eat some potatoes or white rice as someone else said - these are very affordable staples and will bulk up your meals. For a long time I didn't let myself have them, but I've come to find through experimentation that they do not cause me problems the way other grains/carbs do. YMMV.

Buy conventional meat if you need to. Lean ground beef, skinless chicken thighs and breasts, ground turkey, ground lamb <- all very affordable. Supplement with butter, which can also be affordable.

I love the numbers someone above gave for Sam's Club. I am seriously considering a club card for myself, either there or at Costco, even though buying in bulk intimidates me. The prices really can't be beat.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    The nuts and seeds are treats anyway, many of us can't afford them for calorie reasons, but for you it's budgetary. That's not a bad thing.

However, it looks like you just haven't got enough food here. No wonder you are hungry - studying and working long days.

At breakfast you could add a baked potato with butter, some kumara wedges with sour cream, or some other starchy vege/fat combination.

Also lunch if it's your main meal needs a bit more oomph. What kind of fish and meat? They need to have some fat attached. Also, top your veges with olive oil and your trail mix.

Now a can of tuna and sweet potato bowl is ok but not that much dinner. You could add a dessert such as mudcake.

Somewhere in the day, maybe when you first get home when there isn't time to prepare much, you could add a banana smoothie to keep you going till dinner.

mageta is offline Junior Member
    Great advice, thanks guys, I tend to obsess over the details, I just have to get back to basics, thanks so much... and to whoever said it, I'm a he, not a she

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I assumed female too. Definitely more food then!!!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Are you buying organic/grass fed/shopping at Whole Paycheck? I feed a family of 3 on $300ish a month and we eat an asston of vegetables, stick to low cost protein, eat yogurt and eggs to supplement, and remember you don't need a eat an entire steak a day to get your protein requirements.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Oh, I assumed female too. Definitely more food then!!!
    Me too. I think it was the username ending in "a", makes me think feminine.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

mageta is offline Junior Member
    Very encouraging, I estimate I've been doing over $200 a month on groceries, if you can feed a family on $300 a month then I'm definitely buying the wrong things!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    She seems to be saying that these are the foods she used to eat but no longer can.
    Oh, you're right. I'm very sorry Mageta.

"I'm also frustrated by the endless contradictions and fighting that goes back and forth with nutritionists and bloggers and such. Paleo is good, paleo is bad, paleo actually encourages insulin resistance, this guys a quack, that guys a fraud, you should eat less than 150 grams of carbs, you should eat less than FIFTY grams of carbs, you should have high protein, you should have high fat and low protein or this and that will happen, you'll get kidney stones, you'll die etc... It's just an endless source of frustration for me, how do you guys do it? "

I think you have to make a choice as to which diet you're gong to follow. This is an important choice. Then just quit reading and listening to the others, even if that includes PB.

On PB (High fat low carb (HFLC)), Low carb (LC) is between 100-150g. Very low carb (VLC) is between 50-100g. Ketosis is below 50g.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-21-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    I love the numbers someone above gave for Sam's Club. I am seriously considering a club card for myself, either there or at Costco, even though buying in bulk intimidates me. The prices really can't be beat.
    I LOVE Sam's Club. $40 yearly membership, but save so much, IMO. I find meat, veggies, fruit, dairy, and nuts all a better value.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast