Thread: Is my breakfast idea primal? page

caro_h is offline Junior Member

Is my breakfast idea primal?

Primal Fuel
    Hi - this is my first post so please be kind

Am really new to PB - have been eating low-carb for about a year (on and off) and have been pleased with the results (lost approx 20lb) but have only just embraced PB a few days ago. I have around 7-10lbs to go but am happy to do this slowly - PB is more about a whole lifestyle change for me.

Anywayyyyy... I've been able to IF pretty easily when low-carbing, I really like it. But now and again, on the weekends etc I want to eat something breakfast-y and don't want eggs/bacon/etc (I know, weird right?!)

So today I was messing around in the kitchen and mixed up dessicated coconut, almond flour, one egg, a sloosh of double cream, half a banana and lots of cinnamon. I was planning to see if it would turn out decent pancakes but gave the mixture a taste first... and ended up eating the lot! It was so good!

Is this primal? Stupid question maybe but it was so delicious and I can really see me whipping up a batch on a Sunday morning with a herbal tea and the papers! I seem to do fine with dairy... the banana worries me a bit because it's so carby but as a once-a-week treat...?

What do you think?

Sounds similar to paleo mug cakes.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Hey, caro_h ... another Brit here.

I'm going to be blunt. Food made with primal ingredients is not always primal.

Your saving grace (yes, I'm being kind, first post and all) is that you've recognised that this might be a once a week thing, although said that about the banana. Primal is not necessarily low-carb. Active folks can eat more carbs and be perfectly happy. I'd be more concerned about any potential omega-3/6 ratio imbalance with the nuts.

Coconut, fine. It's not very British, though, is it? Really, we don't "do" coconut, do we ... I went through the same consideration of coconut, experimentation and wondering. I now ignore it. If you like it, eat it. Nuts. Good, but not great in any quantity. Bananas? Fine, but not something to make a habit of.

Here's a twist if you like all that ...

One banana, one egg, whisk, add tablespoon of coconut flour, dessicated, or nut flour.

Make a pancake.

Once a week, or less.

For a treat, fine, go for it. Add some honey over, too. I mean, how natural and naturally gifted to us is honey?

Bluntly, again ... stop dipping your toe in the water. Jump in! It's fun! We've got meat, fish, shellfish, eggs and all manner of veggies. That is more than you'll ever need for a different meal every day for the rest of your life. Nuts, berries and honey can happily be your treats.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    Coconut, fine. It's not very British, though, is it? Really, we don't "do" coconut, do we ...
    I'm a Yankee, therefore my opinion doesn't count, but I beg to differ:

Quote Originally Posted by King Arthur
    The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    King? I didn't vote for him ...

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    We've got meat, fish, shellfish, eggs and all manner of veggies. That is more than you'll ever need for a different meal every day for the rest of your life.
    Yeah until you eat like that and suddenly want something different than "savory". Maybe you want cakey or sweet or fresh. So while yes, you can live well off of meat and veggies, it can get old for some people.

And I eat bananas all the time. Yeah, they have carbs, but primal is not necessarily very low carb.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!