Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me something good about white rice. page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Tell me something good about white rice.

Other than it tastes great

Lately I've been trying to eat more white potatoes instead, as they're a more nutritious source of starch, but I still get cravings for rice. When I eat it I instantly feel good - it lifts me in a way no other real food does.

But it's just pure starch, right? Pretty nutritionally void? So why does it make me feel better than potatoes, or even bananas?

I have a (layman's) theory that a depressed physiology operates better on chemically simple, energy rich foods. Or is there some micro-nutrient in rice that can't be derived elsewhere?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Cronometer shows that 1 cup of long grain white rice cooked has 205 calories and 44.5 grams of carb. Less than half a gram of fat, and about 4.3 grams of protein.

It also has some B vitamins, but not much B12. And about 24% of the iron recommended in a day.

I don't see anything magic about white rice. But now that I've switched to totally non-CAFO meat, it sure helps the budget.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i feel better on rice too, but i always thought that had to do with the butter, salt, and pepper or raw fish that i eat with it. otherwise i see it has pure starch, which i just consider energy food. but i prefer it to potatoes some days; potatoes can make me feel heavier.

FiveX is offline Member
    Hmmmmm....white rice. Oh yes I do know something good about it which I'll gladly share with you! My Mom would take two pieces of cotton material (approx. 8"x8") sew them together leaving one end open and and pour white rice into the open end. She then sewed that end together so it looked like a very small pillow with the white rice as a filler. This was used in our family as a hot pad (put in oven or micro wave) or ice pac (place in freezer) depending on the muscle soreness issue. It actually worked quite well and would last a long time!

But other than that I'm not aware of any good news regarding white rice Good luck finding some! Peace...5x

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Cronometer shows that 1 cup of long grain white rice cooked has 205 calories and 44.5 grams of carb. Less than half a gram of fat, and about 4.3 grams of protein.

It also has some B vitamins, but not much B12. And about 24% of the iron recommended in a day.

I don't see anything magic about white rice. But now that I've switched to totally non-CAFO meat, it sure helps the budget.
    Yip, it's also pretty high in manganese, but irrespective its nutritional profile doesn't rival starch sources like potatoes or bananas... so why would I crave it?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i feel better on rice too, but i always thought that had to do with the butter, salt, and pepper or raw fish that i eat with it. otherwise i see it has pure starch, which i just consider energy food. but i prefer it to potatoes some days; potatoes can make me feel heavier.
    Interesting that you get that too! I agree it's pure energy food... that's where my theory about the depressed physiology comes in. Maybe such a pure source of starch is easier for a weakened body to break down to energy? Just speculating...

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by FiveX View Post
    Hmmmmm....white rice. Oh yes I do know something good about it which I'll gladly share with you! My Mom would take two pieces of cotton material (approx. 8"x8") sew them together leaving one end open and and pour white rice into the open end. She then sewed that end together so it looked like a very small pillow with the white rice as a filler. This was used in our family as a hot pad (put in oven or micro wave) or ice pac (place in freezer) depending on the muscle soreness issue. It actually worked quite well and would last a long time!

But other than that I'm not aware of any good news regarding white rice Good luck finding some! Peace...5x
    Let me guess - you eat low carb?

- Ray Peat

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I don't really crave white rice, but I still eat it about twice a week anyway. I don't do it on any sort of schedule, I just get a Chipotle burrito bowl whenever I don't pack lunch white rice, fajita veggies (peppers), steak or steak and carnitas, salsa and I'm good to go.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    I love white rice too.. but after reading that it contains high leves of arsenic (all rice does - some more than others) I try to eat as little as possible of it.
    Take a walk on the wild side.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    White rice keeps my boyfriend from getting too thin. When he just eats my food he loses weight, and doesn't need to.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast