Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Tell me something good about white rice. page 7

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post
    For that matter, sushi doesn't need to contain rice.
    It isn't sushi if it doesn't have sushi rice. Sushi is by definition seasoned and garnished rice. Raw and cooked seafood without sushi rice is sashimi.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It isn't sushi if it doesn't have sushi rice. Sushi is by definition seasoned and garnished rice. Raw and cooked seafood without sushi rice is sashimi.
    You are correct...but I dare say it's fairly common for the word "sushi" to be used (in the U.S.) to generally refer to those small, individual pieces of seafood or vegetables served with or without rice, or rolled with or without rice, whether they're actually referring to sashimi, nigiri, maki, etc.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post
    You are correct...but I dare say it's fairly common for the word "sushi" to be used (in the U.S.) to generally refer to those small, individual pieces of seafood or vegetables served with or without rice, or rolled with or without rice, whether they're actually referring to sashimi, nigiri, maki, etc.
    I've eaten in Japanese restaurants all over the country. I've never seen sashimi called "sushi" anywhere, not in restaurants or in supermarkets.

Of course, I haven't in Texas.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    White Rice is basically a last resort, or if I want something quickly. Maybe 1..2 times per week.

I have no issues with it, but I don't feel as good as normal waking up after it. Definitely a difference there. Plus, my craps are...well, not as precise, after I've eaten it.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    It's a safe source of starch and a delicious vehicle for various Asian dishes. Plus it spares the liver from going to the trouble of gluconeogenesis when eaten after activity.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yep, white rice is far better than most paleo people think, a great starch post workout that makes you feel great the day after! Just don't overdo it, since it may spill over to fat more easily...

GaryWatson is offline Junior Member
    uh tell me about it, I love eating rice mostly for that taste and because it has B vitamins that help me. That's pretty much it.

Greenbean is offline Junior Member
    This is strange...I found this thread because I googled, "Why do I feel better when I eat white rice?" A week or two ago I wasn't feeling well and cooked up some white rice, which I hadn't eaten in many years, like maybe ten years. I was very surprised by how much better I felt a short while after I ate the rice with some butter and a little salt. It wasn't a sugar rush, either; I know what that feels like and I don't think of that as "feeling better." It wasn't an energy rush followed by a crash. It was just a sense of feeling better. I've never felt that with any carb before.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Yeah, somebody here mentioned bacon and butter fried rice and it amazed me that I never thought of making that myself, being a fat kid at heart. It does make sense that it'd be viewed as the poor man's breakfast. I sure do love it.
    Rice with salt and fat is just another example of why carbs+fat is possibly the best taste ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ToldUzo View Post
    I love white rice too.. but after reading that it contains high leves of arsenic (all rice does - some more than others) I try to eat as little as possible of it.
    Arsenic levels are due to farming techniques (soil contaminated with old pesticides) so its entirely possible to buy rice from regions where arsenic shouldn't be a problem. Additionally washing the rice removes some of the arsenic.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A null food; neither good nor bad. A grain, but so processed that most of the negativity is gone. Stretches the food dollar. A quarter cup of uncooked rice has about 33 grams of carb, 3 grams of protein, 150 calories, cooks up to about 3/4 of a cup of cooked rice, and can stretch a meal nicely for pennies. Used judiciously, can be eaten daily while still keeping below 100 grams of carbs.

I cook mine twice to get all that gooey delicious starch.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast