Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me something good about white rice. page 3

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Hahaha... I only made it like that once.... when I was high.

I usually make the eggs separately and then pair it with the rice, but it cracked me up to read that people do that when sober. Good for you!
    Haha thanks for the laugh, but I can't blame it on that -- never been high, gotta say!

My mom made it for me once and was amused that I liked it so much, as it was known to her as a cuban's "poor man breakfast." Though I could see her as a pothead too, once upon a time lol.

It is essentially "Fried rice" after all -- just not with the usual other additions.

Of course it's not my poor (wo)man's breakfast, with eggs at $8 a dozen.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, somebody here mentioned bacon and butter fried rice and it amazed me that I never thought of making that myself, being a fat kid at heart. It does make sense that it'd be viewed as the poor man's breakfast. I sure do love it.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Yip, it's also pretty high in manganese, but irrespective its nutritional profile doesn't rival starch sources like potatoes or bananas... so why would I crave it?
    Because we are a species with a big brain and we like variety? Because God's/Mother Nature's/Great Gazoo's wonderful bounty is to be enjoyed? Beats me. Truth be told, I think the brain/body is more motivated by the pursuit of pleasure than by anything as natural as knowing what it needs. If it weren't, we'd have all been eating exactly the correct number of calories in the exact correct macros and micros since day one. Just a theory.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, somebody here mentioned bacon and butter fried rice and it amazed me that I never thought of making that myself, being a fat kid at heart. It does make sense that it'd be viewed as the poor man's breakfast. I sure do love it.
    this morning I had (for the first time) cut up sausage with left over white rice cooked in butter for a bit, then poured a scrambled egg over it, let it set up, flipped it, ate it. It was great.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I mainly use white rice in a recipe. It's something called "sarma". Basically, ground beef, pork, finely chopped sauteed vegetables and rice. All wrapped in fermented cabbage leaves and stuffed in dry red peppers. Then simmered in pot with water.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Sarma hmmm, I've been there.

As for the rice craving, could be the protein fractions hitting the endorphin receptors in the same way that Gluten & Casein have addictictive actions.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    But it's just pure starch, right? Pretty nutritionally void? So why does it make me feel better than potatoes, or even bananas?
    Likely for that reason. It is a very fast source of energy that requires little digestion. White potatoes are surprisingly nutrient-dense - more than most sweet potatoes - and contain a good bit of soluble fiber. I could see it making you feel heavier. White rice is closer to pure energy, and since it's almost entirely starch it is going to be extremely fast energy, unlike sugar.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    In other words... you're a sugar addict... repent!
    That's how I like it once in awhile, like a dessert.... berries, cinnamon, honey (cream and/or butter is yummy but I don't use those much anymore).... I just bought some almond milk the other day and used that with it. Now THAT was yummy.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Not a thing in white rice, its basically little bits of pure glucose. That right there is probably why you feel good. It digests within minutes where as other starches besides maybe white brrad will take hours to fully digest.
    White isn't exactly nutrient dense but I wouldn't call it pure glucose with "not a thing" in it.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Rice, white, long-grain, regular, cooked

There are some vitamins in there somewhere. But really, white rice isn't a meal. It's supposed to be eaten in ice cream scoop sized portions to add palatability. In some ways it's helpful - like cooking spinach along with white rice. It's good for soaking up the nutrients that leak out that would otherwise be left in the water. Boil your white rice in leftover spinach water and there's now a lot more to it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Rice is fine as a side portion of your meal.

I couldn't tell you why it makes you feel better than potatoes. I'm firmly in the potato camp.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast